Gearbox' Aliens: Colonial Marines

funcroc

Well, except for the Half Life expansion Opposing Forces but really, how hard is it to make a decent expansion to already good game?

Well, if you take Blue Shift into account, seemingly pretty difficult.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm more interested in this Champion Online.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Well, except for the Half Life expansion Opposing Forces but really, how hard is it to make a decent expansion to already good game?

Well, if you take Blue Shift into account, seemingly pretty difficult.

True, but Blue Shi(f)t was an oddity in that it was created for a saturn (or some other console) port of Half Life 1 which fell through. Instead of scrapping it they decided to release it anyway as a minor expansion.

*one of the minority of people who thinks OpFor was nothing impressive*

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Monolith on the other hand are masters in creating suspense, mood and diversity within the FPS context.

After playing NOLF2 I would have believed you. But the latest Monolith game I played was called FEAR.. Now that's the exact opposite of diversity. GREY GREY GREY!!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm myself somewhat disappointed that Gearbox got the job. OpFor was certainly excellent, but all their other games were just "solid". Monolith on the other hand are masters in creating suspense, mood and diversity within the FPS context"solid" games that are often overrated.

FEAR shat on diversity, otherwise I agree with Morgoth.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Thread pruned. Sheesh guys, such creativity! >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Monolith and Gearbox are equally mediocre, IMO. But gearbox earned some cred with me because of their attempt to add more gamplay to the FPS genre with the whole covering fire system in BiA. It was flawed, sur, but a good effort nontheless. FEAR on the other hand was a straight-up shooter with no surprises.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

EB Games's product description

Developed by Brothers-in-Arms creator, Gearbox Software, Aliens: Colonial Marines is a squad-based first-person shooter which recaptures the tension, horror and combat of the movies that created the sci-fi action horror genre. In the game, players battle Aliens using a variety of awesome weapons including pulse-rifles and flamethrowers, plus brand-new equipment and skills. Aliens: Colonial Marines will retain the atmospheric look and feel of the original films while leveraging next-generation technology to create an entirely new interactive Aliens experience. Claustrophobic environments, a brooding soundtrack, and a multitude of surprises and shocks will take the tension and action to unparalleled levels. Game modes include a single-player campaign plus four-person multiplayer player co-op, plus many more to be revealed in future months.

Monolith on the other hand are masters in creating suspense, mood and diversity within the FPS context.

After playing NOLF2 I would have believed you. But the latest Monolith game I played was called FEAR.. Now that's the exact opposite of diversity. GREY GREY GREY!!

Well, I think diversity can mean many things. For me, it's certainly not jumping from a desert into a jungle into an office building into an underground parking area.

And the colors in FEAR were properly. No crappy bright and colorful nonsense there, only beautiful Art direction, wherever I looked at (and yes, I actually did like the blocky structures too.... made the enemies look more like they stood out of the background). Though the coolest thing was the smart combat AI, the sound design, the fun combat, the slowly evolving plot, the nice audio logs. All these things that kept me enjoyed and concentrated until the last level. Something that so many other FPS creators (id, Epic, Gearbox) just don't get right. They can have better graphics and more level design diversity and more enemy diversity...it doesn't matter to me, these games still bore the crap out of me.

Funny though that nobody ever complained about Thief's "diversity"...