Vapourware: Thy Name Is Dragon Age!

Volourn

Id be thrilled if it wasnt a fantasy game.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The DA-as-vapourware angle has irritated me for a couple reasons.

1. Bio's not known for defaulting on titles.

2. Bio has been known for long development cycles.

3. Bio has explained ad nauseum that this game was 1) announced early, 2) going to be a long time coming, 3) without a publisher (who typically takes care of the PR for a game anyway), 4) only one of several titles that they were working on.

Me, I don't know enough about the corporate structure at Bioware/Elevation/Pandemic/EA to be able to come out and say that I know more about the development of games for those companies than the people working on them, nor am I prepared to come out and call all of the developers who've flat out said they're working on DA liars.

Besides, it's not as if there's a lot to look forward to on the PC-exclusive front these days. I'm not going to fabricate another reason to throw in the towel simply because they're not releasing info about a game according to some schedule I've dreamed up for them but forgot to send to them.

All of that said, though, I think I'll wait until I hear something more definitive than a fiscal projections statement that's more than a year from being realized, from a company that's only newly had anything to do with Bioware at all (albeit with a lot more authority to cancel projects :)), before gettin' all excited 'n stuff about DA's imminent release.

As Bio's so fond of saying: "It'll be done when it's done."

The DA-as-vapourware angle has irritated me for a couple reasons.

Actually, who has ever seriously declared that DA was vapourware?

I mean, I know this is the internet and folk will say anything, but i've never seen anyone seriously claim that the game will never be released.

The main complaint about DA has always been the fact that Bio announced it ridiculously early. I'm sure they had their reasons but, from a customer's point of view, it's kinda pointless to be told about a game that will be really cool three/four years hence.

I'm not going to fabricate another reason to throw in the towel simply because they're not releasing info about a game according to some schedule I've dreamed up for them but forgot to send to them.

And another thing: who ever really 'throws in the towel' on a game?

Can anyone think of a game that they were interested in playing but never did because the developer took too long to release it?

No, didn't think so.

dumber than a bag of hammers

Actually, who has ever seriously declared that DA was vapourware?

I mean, I know this is the internet and folk will say anything, but i've never seen anyone seriously claim that the game will never be released.

I did, a few weeks ago :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The "DA-as-vapourware" movement -- almost certainly, as you mention, internet-say-anything in nature -- is just something that I've noticed a lot more of since EA bought Bioware. I've been lurking on the DA forums for a while, and since that acquisition, there's been a noticeable upswing in the number of people claiming such, both there and on other forums that I visit.

But, I wasn't talking about throwing in the towel on a single game. Rather, the entire subset of so-called "AAA PC computer games". Had hoped that my allusion to "PC-only development" titles in the sentence previous to the one you quoted would have made that clear, those two sentences being in a paragraph all on their own.

Guess not.

Edited by Magnum Opus

This is basically reassuring news, but what I understood from reading the link is that DA will be released in BioWare's fiscal 2009, which means sometime between April 1, 2009 and March 30, 2010. That's a long time from now. If I double up on my multi-vitamins, I might make it. :)

This is basically reassuring news, but what I understood from reading the link is that DA will be released in BioWare's fiscal 2009, which means sometime between April 1, 2009 and March 30, 2010. That's a long time from now. If I double up on my multi-vitamins, I might make it. :)
The game is now slated to be published by EA in its fiscal 2009 year which begins on April 1.

My emphasis. 'its' refer back to EA.

From the Bio DA forum:

We do not allow the discussion of a release date prior to when one is actually released.

I wonder if this means that we shouldn't care much about when EA plans to release DA. Especially since there were some Bio comment somewhere, that news about the game would be forthcoming soon. So unless soon is something like 7 months in the future, then it might be released sooner than EAs 2009 fiscal year.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Considering NWN1 took 5 years, Dragon Age 5 years isn't really that worrying I think. Its just that we got more PR/info on NWN1 back then; it was still a hell of a wait for anyone who remembers it (and the Bioboards back then).

It was another thing with DA, if i remember correctly then we got to see in-game screenshots way back in 2002. That suggests that the game itself is no more than 1-2years max away from release. But after that, everything DA just died out and BioWare came out with lots of other stuff like Jade Empire instead. That suggested that BW had dropped DA, and until recently there was no sign of them restarting it.

Except those screens were a tech demo and not actual in-game screen shots.

not just any tech demo, sir! an award-winning tech demo, no less!

NWN might have been trailed long in advance, but at least it didn't win no stupid awards years before its release, e.g. best hype 2004!

to their credit, though, Bio have been careful about promising too much with DA, i.e. they've given out approximately zero info about it despite its lengthy development time. looks like they learnt at least one lesson from their experience with NWN.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

And that tech demo was basically prototype made within NWN1 :(

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Yeah, two screenshots from a tech demo and some vague PR-lines doesn't really count. I guess if DA is on track, we will start to see the PR machine really get into gear this year.

Is there still going to be an insectoid race as one of the mains?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I predict this game will disapoint. A lot.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The most disappointing game Bioware has made is NWN1. They were gaining ground fast with BG1 and BG2, dropped in a yawning chasm with NWN1, but slowly rose out of it with the expansions and KotOR 1. They then got back on track with Jade Empire and Mass Effect. Overall, I give Bioware a solid grade of B.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

You can't seriously tell me that you think NWN1 is better than Jade Empire and Mass Effect? It has the worse story design than any of their games.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"