RPG's

The Owner

The romances of the Kotor games were lacking. With Bastila you had that fade to black kiss, then she tells you lets put our romance on hold until this is all over.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I agree that they've got a long way to go before they reach their full potential, but I find the romance element of most RPGs (if present) one of the more satisfying aspects of the games. I'm just a romantic fool, I guess. Even the hinted-at, undeveloped romances of Kotor 2 were food for the imagination if nothing else. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I agree that they've got a long way to go before they reach their full potential, but I find the romance element of most RPGs (if present) one of the more satisfying aspects of the games. I'm just a romantic fool, I guess. Even the hinted-at, undeveloped romances of Kotor 2 were food for the imagination if nothing else. :)

I, for one, can't stand the "Quest for Electronic Nookie" that seems obligatory story/character-heavy RPGs of late. Sure, RPGs do play a wish-fulfillment role for their players, but the hot elven chicks falling all over themselves to get with me just because I happen to carry the <PROTAGONIST> tag is an embarrassingly lame extension of this.

The only reason I went through the romance dialogues in BG2 was because the accompanying music (particularly for Aerie and Jahiera) were the best tracks in the game.

No no, The Witcher had the best "relationships". That's the way to do it if you're so keen on having relationships in your game. :)

Ah yes the manwhore game. Where the main character is able to screw every woman that crosses his path. o:)

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Every woman that cross his path gives it up for a cheap pair of gloves he found on the floor and HE'S the whore?

There is no justice in this world.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I, for one, can't stand the "Quest for Electronic Nookie" that seems obligatory story/character-heavy RPGs of late. Sure, RPGs do play a wish-fulfillment role for their players, but the hot elven chicks falling all over themselves to get with me just because I happen to carry the <PROTAGONIST> tag is an embarrassingly lame extension of this.

I agree with you mostly. I probably fully agree with you, in that I think most romances in games are lame. I do however, feel that just from a story aspect, a well implemented romance of some kind really can add a lot to it. The problem is that most of these game romances don't seem to do that. Romances seem awfully tacked on.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

No no, The Witcher had the best "relationships". That's the way to do it if you're so keen on having relationships in your game. :)

Ah yes the manwhore game. Where the main character is able to screw every woman that crosses his path. o:)

You're right. It's more of a life simulator than a RPG.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I agree with you mostly. I probably fully agree with you, in that I think most romances in games are lame. I do however, feel that just from a story aspect, a well implemented romance of some kind really can add a lot to it. The problem is that most of these game romances don't seem to do that. Romances seem awfully tacked on.

Well, sure. I certainly wouldn't advocate that such common threads of human existence as love and sex should be eliminated from game writing. Ravel's oddly expressed love for TNO in Torment was a fascinating element of that game's story.

PC-centered romance that amounts to "make the 10 or so correct choices in dialogue and be rewarded with some no-consequences off-screen implied boinking" are mostly what bothers me.

Well, sure. I certainly wouldn't advocate that such common threads of human existence as love and sex should be eliminated from game writing. Ravel's oddly expressed love for TNO in Torment was a fascinating element of that game's story.

PC-centered romance that amounts to "make the 10 or so correct choices in dialogue and be rewarded with some no-consequences off-screen implied boinking" are mostly what bothers me.

Right. That's what I was trying to say.

Edited by thepixiesrock

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I actually kind of prefer those suitably treacherous paths to romance because they don't have the NPC fawning over me regardless of what I do. Viconia was simply hilarious, as well.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The female romance option in NWN2 was quite good, because you had Bishop and Casavir bickering over you the whole time but almost never saying anything directly to you. Until they spoiled it by having Casavir suddenly announce his feelings and try to seduce you. That was silly and very out of place, as was the equivalent Elanee episode.

I agree that Viconia's was one of the better romance paths I've played.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I didn't realise that I was seducing Elanee until I accidently happy-happied her. I mean, what the crap, I was trying to turn her off, not lead her on, then suddenly i'm knocking boots with a druid, and you KNOW their feelings on personal hygene.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

No, there's deffinetely something wrong with that.

The female romance option in NWN2 was quite good, because you had Bishop and Casavir bickering over you the whole time but almost never saying anything directly to you. Until they spoiled it by having Casavir suddenly announce his feelings and try to seduce you. That was silly and very out of place, as was the equivalent Elanee episode.

I agree that Viconia's was one of the better romance paths I've played.

NWN2's female romance is lame. Casavir is a stick in the mud guy with an old mans mono toned voice. I found him dull and boring.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

It's all about good story telling to me, and Realistic looking armors and weapons. Without a good plot a game is nothing but pretty graphics, and no soul. kinda like kotor 2 :blink: Mask of the Betrayer was diffrent, but i still didn't like the whole story. My Favorite RPG will most likely always be Plantescape Torment.

Jedi Master Altena Windwalker

Pub 9 Elder Jedi, Star Wars Galaxies: Nurf of the Jedi

"We are oft to blame in this--'tis too much proved. --that with devotion's visage and pious action...we do suger o'er the devil himself. " - V

"Spelling errors in my post, oh noes! I'm Japanese and English is not primery language plus I'm dyslexic.

I just remembered those really huge rats in Daggerfall. Freaky.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: