What are you playing now?

Gorth

I also received Contra 4 (x2) from Amazon today. Played with my brother on normal. Stealing lives is as fun as it used to be back in the NES days. This game is hard. We spent all our continues, but we eventually passed the mid-boss and met up with the stage boss. We'll beat it eventually. <3 <3 Contra.

I can almost complete Easy without dying. On normal the best I've been able to do so far is level 4. Haven't tried Hard yet.

I then jumped into the multiplayer, and was pleasantly surprised by how fun it was.

Indeed. I've never enjoyed a console shooter's multiplayer until now. MoH->CoD1->CoD4.

Been playing a lot of CoD4 mp.

Alternating between that and Mass Effect. Honestly, I'm having a hard time motivating myself to finish Mass Effect right now, just too many cutscenes, not enough actual meaningful roleplaying. I'd contrast it with MotB. MotB interupts the game just enough to keep the narrative moving, and yet provides lots of opportunities for significant decision-making by the player.

Honestly, I feel like Mass Effect is more a game about being a film director directing a sci-fi movie starring someone named Shepherd, and less a game about playing Shepherd him/herself. Perhaps it is a step towards a new genre/niche of movies/games appropriately termed interactive movie. There is nothing wrong with that at all, but if that is the case it bears refining.

Cut the length of the game in half and make the choices actually mean something and improve the squad AI beyond GRAW 1 levels and then I wouldn't be able to put the game down most likely. As it stands it hovers between game and interactive movie and never hits its stride.

The atmosphere, music and presentation and excellent. The game definitely captures that semi-hard sci fi/space opera vibe of Reynolds, Niven, et al.

On the Xbox360: Mass Effect

On the PC: The Witcher

A comparison consisting of "X is better than Y" is inevitable :p

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

So, which one is better?

I'm considering getting Xbox 360 for this Christmas for Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed and upcoming OE's console only titles.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Eschalon: Book I, baby.

I really wanted to play this at first, when I got the demo, but apparently it's a lone PC game (no companions), and that's put me off a bit.

It is? Then it's back on my interest list! I thought it was one of those horrid turn-based party micro-managing games.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Eschalon: Book 1 is indeed turn based. Very turn based. My problem with it is the control. I either have to click for every step the character takes or I have to put him on an auto-walk and steer him around. He needs a goto style command.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It is? Then it's back on my interest list! I thought it was one of those horrid turn-based party micro-managing games.

Do you know of any good indie turn-based party micro-managing games?

No, not really. I try to stay the hell away from them. I've played enough slow-ass Jagged Alliance 2-type games in my life. I can't stand waiting forever to move six people around one by one and then wait for 20 NPC's to make their (most often stupid) moves.

Eschalon: Book 1 is indeed turn based. Very turn based. My problem with it is the control. I either have to click for every step the character takes or I have to put him on an auto-walk and steer him around. He needs a goto style command.

I know it's turn-based. It doesn't really bother me that much if I don't have to move an entire party around for every turn.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Do you know of any good indie turn-based party micro-managing games?

Avernum 2 and 3. Nethergate is also pretty decent, but stay away from Avernum 1, it's a rough prototype.

Best thing about the games is that they are so long, but it's also their worst part, finishing is pretty hard since you know there's that upteenth dungeon and level left till you can best that end boss. Avernum 3 is an incredibly solid title, pretty much the best indie rpg I've played, but, much like your average jrpg, the constant battle gets tiring eventually. Fortunately, once you reach a decent enough level, you can just mow down goblins and other low-to-mid-level critters without starting combat as the default action towards hostiles is melee attack and your frontman is tough enough to kill anything up to drakes in a couple of blows.

Get them here:

http://www.spidweb.com

As for yours truly, I'm in the process of studying and since I don't have a computer at my home I am rather devoid of any gaming, besides some ROMs that can easily fit in gmails upload function, heh. I'll probably continue my Lawrence Shephard 8th level Spacer-Sole Survivor/Infiltrator playthrough in Mass Effect, once I get back home.

Also, Carcassone is godly.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

So, which one is better?

I'm considering getting Xbox 360 for this Christmas for Mass Effect, Assasin's Creed and upcoming OE's console only titles.

Impossible to tell yet. I'm 12 hours in at Mass Effect and i only played The Witcher about 20 minutes or so. Maybe by xmas i will know :p

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Overlord for PC.

Mostly because it appeared to be a good game to play on the TV w/the new wireless keyboard/mouse. :D

It's cute, but has a clunky interface.

I'd like to try ME, but I'm still hedging on the console thing. Been considering them more and more tho. And Mac's, too. Sigh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So, which one is better?

Impossible to tell yet. I'm 12 hours in at Mass Effect and i only played The Witcher about 20 minutes or so. Maybe by xmas i will know :p

They are incredibly different RPG experiences. I'd say Mass Effect is a more polished product overall. It's got a great engaging story and fun, fast combat. The Witcher is a deeper game though, with a very dark atmosphere that really engaged me. It requires more strategy before a fight, whereas ME is about responding in the fight.

I don't know, they are both jut awesome.

I GOT IT! FINALLY!

I had killed the 12 Strigon team members, and the fourteen other aces, and I couldn't find that last ace in the first mission, for two days.

Take 12 homing missiles in the face Pegash*t!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I was about to play a little bit of S.TA.L.K.E.R. when I ran into a strange bug. A little while after beginning the whole screen goes black for a few second, and when the image comes back, everything is ridiculously slow. I'm guessing I'll have to reinstall it...

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Ha, after a luck check (must have rolled a 20) I was able to get Super Mario Galaxy, so I am somewhere between it and ID1.

P.S.: My head spins from all the walking around all sort of planets.

Edited by Istima Loke

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

Avernum 2 and 3. Nethergate is also pretty decent, but stay away from Avernum 1, it's a rough prototype.

Best thing about the games is that they are so long, but it's also their worst part, finishing is pretty hard since you know there's that upteenth dungeon and level left till you can best that end boss. Avernum 3 is an incredibly solid title, pretty much the best indie rpg I've played, but, much like your average jrpg, the constant battle gets tiring eventually. Fortunately, once you reach a decent enough level, you can just mow down goblins and other low-to-mid-level critters without starting combat as the default action towards hostiles is melee attack and your frontman is tough enough to kill anything up to drakes in a couple of blows.

Yes, it's the fear of endless combat that puts me off these. I know, I know, I'm fussy and impossible to please. :lol:

Has anyone played the NWN module Tortured Hearts? How is it?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Has anyone played the NWN module Tortured Hearts? How is it?
Very open ended and well done, I never finished it but I enjoyed the time spent playing. I would recommend it.

On topic, currently playing these two games.

PS2 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002)

PC - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (2004)

Edited by Kelverin

I'm playing RE4 on the PC, and I'd just like to know what the hell is up with the multiple headshots Spanish peasants.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Can't speak on how Tortured Hearts develops once the game gets going, but it never managed to pull me in for some reason. The writing seemed so... strange. Even in the second chapter (where I think the author got help from a novelist) there is just something that rubs me wrong about the dialogue. I really can't pinpoint it either. I've seen other people say pretty much the same.

It does seem to be quite a monumental effort in terms of how big and non-linear it is however. It seems to be very well done, but I was put off by the writing.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Overlord for PC.

Mostly because it appeared to be a good game to play on the TV w/the new wireless keyboard/mouse. :D

It's cute, but has a clunky interface.

Are you playing just the original game or with the hell expansion pack as well? I loved Overlord, and I've been considering getting the expansion ever since it was announced.

As for the clunky interface, I have to imagine it was designed as a console game first and foremost. Even so, I found the controls a little clunky on the 360 with a gamepad anyway, so they're presumably worse on the PC. The humour and light hearted, cartoon style evil atmosphere made wresting with the controls well worth it, either way.

I was going to install PS:T but CD1 has gone missing baaww :'(

So it's kotor2 for me then

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Half Life 2. I need to get the Orange Box or maybe I can get that for a Christmas present.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester