Dolphin slaughter

Walsingham

Caught up on this today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvNgdFIf0I0

Dolphin friendly fury. But I have to ask as usual where the tearful Hollywood celebs are in, say, Burma or the Sudan. :x

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What's the purpose of this cull?

Edit: Apparently it's a hunt. For food. Thought I'm also reading that there's a claim that it's to less competition for fish. Seems kind of reasonable. At least one species appears to be endangered in that area, but I'm curious as to the population numbers of the rest.

I recently visited a Dolphinarium in Mexico. These animals are remarkably well trained. I'm surprised that we don't consider some populations to be domesticated.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I doubt there is a bigger advocate for humane treatment of animals on this board than me. But if this is being done for food that I can understand. Dolphins are not endangered after all. If it were being done for sport or spite that of course would be abhorrent. Don't look for outcry from hollywood types or American liberals. Their croccodile tears are only shed for causes that are politcally expedient. This one is a non starter.

But as far as a news story goes I'm more concerend about the recent slaughter of Dolphins in Wembly Stadium.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

For the record: There's already a hollywood celebrity in the very video that Wals posted.

While it bothers me that we slaughter any sentient animal, I think the outcry here is about killing an animal that is as smart as a small child, but as people have posted already, many people eat a wide range of intelligent animals, include octopus, monkeys, dogs, etc.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

I am sure there could have been an alternative solution than slaughtering dolphins. Just outright killing them, while not out of malice, seems wrong to me. That goes towards whales and octopi.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I think the whole human population needs to be reduced by a third, but beyond that I agree with you Nick.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Octopi doesnt have feelings, so its ok to eat them.

The Japanese appitite for fish is causing problems the world over.

And that is why we must use the Japanse to feed the fish in the world in order to grow back the fish population in our seas. :blink:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Both of which are also on Japanese menus.

I am very fond of Japan, but they need a reduction in population by about a third and their fishing fleet needs to calm the freak down.

I believe Japan is in fact currently experiencing a negative population growth. Even going so far as to offer cash insentives to women to have more children.

Yeah, the population is decreasing by about a million every year, at its current rate.

Economically it will do nothing to help the already belegered Japan, but as it is, the countary has to import 90% of its food, as compared to the 1950s when it was completely self sufficent, it's population about half what it is currently.

Traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto on the Bullet Train was a weird experience as the whole trip was past one long town between the two cities, broken up by the occasional hill or river.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

But I love octpus! It's delicious! :brows:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

More like sponge rag, it amazes me that people enjoy eating it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Kissing dolphins tastes like seawater.

You can't hug an octopus.

Yeah, but they can really hug you!

The thing with octopus is precisely that it's all wriggly and rubbery. Totally unlike other stuff. I don't know why i like it so much, but fry it down there, with some paprika and olive oil. Serve with rice and maybe some vine leaves and a crisp white wine.

-Elwood Blues

Why can't people just stick eating cows and pigs and Hamburgers? Why eating endangered species?

Dolphins aren't endangered.

They are only as intelligent as a 5-10 year old(or possibly me) human child, with capacity for problem solving, reasoning and the like. They also have verbal communication which we, as the supreme rulers of this rock, don't care to learn because, well, they taste so good.

Yum.

Ok, so why is it secret and if it's so important that these lovely creatures be saved, how come those surfers didn't go all the way? I mean, choose one to "distract" the propellor on that boat while the others cut the nets, no?

Can't Claire grow back her limbs?

SAVE THE DOLPHINS SAVE THE WORLD!

And thanks for all the fish.

Edited by astr0creep