Soccer at Obsidian

Atreides

• 3 months later...

Tonight marked the second victory of the season for the Obsidian All-Blacks. There have been some rumors going around that both of our victories were achieved against teams that were down a player. And that we were bumped down a league since last season. These rumors are... well, okay, they're both true. BUT... we have also tied against one team that had a full roster. Two wins, some losses, and a tie. And the season is far from over!

So, what did you guys do to take out the opposing teams players before the matches? :shifty:

In war and football... nevermind, congratulations :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Two wins, some losses, and a tie.

Some losses, indeed.

Our indoor football season, where we won every single game, ended in a rather odd affair where the other team was a man down (a hefty disadvantage in 5-a-side), but this old gent who looked exactly like Robin Williams proceeded to body-block every single shot, winning the game for the team.

When I played high school soccer, we had a 2-20-2 average...

I've never felt like I could identify with the developers as much as I do now! :yucky:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yay :nuke:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The team has really improved. Not a bad season for a bunch of guys that have never played the game b4.

...and I dont think anyone has answered this, but the league is a 7v7 no goalie, with half-goals. There is a a 6yd dead zone that nobody can enter.

All the teams play w a sweeper-keeper that just sits in front of the net. The field is half sized and very dry, thus very fast, everything needs to be played to feet, and thus.. our biggest problem =)

Avg. gpg. are about 2-3.

There is a a 6yd dead zone that nobody can enter.

All the teams play w a sweeper-keeper that just sits in front of the net.

Could you explain this better? Where, exactly is the dead zone? And what do you mean by sweeper keeper? Isn't the guy a regular keeper?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Oh... That's not actually football. Who came up with that model?

Also, considering that setup, I'm really surprised at the low scorelines. Are the games very short?

Heja Sverige!!

Those are some really, really low scores. How do you manage to miss a goal that has no keeper and a huge open space in front of it? Considering it's a 50 metre long playing field, you should be able to just hoof the ball into the goal from your own half.

Heja Sverige!!

Teams leave one guy and usually more (sweeper +2 marking backs) directly in front of the goal, the goal is less than half a normal goal dimensions.

I was shocked at the low scores when I was scouting the games prior to our first season as well but after playing a season it's easy to just stand in front of the dead zone and cover the entire goal.

The dead zone is the goal box, about 1m x 2m (less than 6yd), not the penalty box, 16m (18yd).

Plus, most of the team is new to the sport, we are still working on making contact with the ball rather than each other(s) (ribs) (ahem, Alvin.)

I'm guessing playing with the Ass. Prod. on your team can be an advantage, no? :lol:

Heja Sverige!!

That you are an asset to your team? :-

Heja Sverige!!

I've played indoor football before which has small goals and no-entry radius around the goals as well, though these have keepers. The point is, it's not really as easy as one thinks it might be to score if the team is a bit canny and positions their defenders properly. I imagine that the particular type the OE fellows seem to be playing would involve quite a lot of running, though - lots of space but still densely packed.

I wonder if any of you folks it the 'enforcer' type - plays and tackles hard, crunchy crunch?

I wonder if any of you folks it the 'enforcer' type - plays and tackles hard, crunchy crunch?

I suspect Alvin got s cameo in NWN2 :-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've played indoor football before which has small goals and no-entry radius around the goals as well, though these have keepers. The point is, it's not really as easy as one thinks it might be to score if the team is a bit canny and positions their defenders properly. I imagine that the particular type the OE fellows seem to be playing would involve quite a lot of running, though - lots of space but still densely packed.

But without a goalie, and with a area in front of the goal where no one may enter? It just seems too easy. Hoofing the ball over the players, accurately, at that distance is a piece of piss. It doesn't even have to be a very strong shot, as there is no one to stop the ball on arrival.

Heja Sverige!!

I imagine the goal is lower as well as smaller, and the dead area is smaller than the normal 18' yard box - probably just the six yard. In which case, it would take a very skilled lob to deny a defending header and nestle in the net.

If my guesses are wrong, then no, it would be very easy indeed.

I imagine that the goal is about as large as regular 5v5 goal. And the same would go for the dead area. That's what I mean when I say it should be very easy.

Heja Sverige!!