Soccer at Obsidian

Atreides

Ok, how is it possible for an amateur team to lose with 7-0? Did you play the full 2x45 minutes or what? Were your team undermanned? Was your goalie bought by the opposing team?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Was the opposition really good or were you really awful?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Their team has the two top scorers in the league and our team had never played a league game before. They had a lot of solid passes and shots and were very aggressive. I pretty much expected the game to wind up like it did. It was the same way on the Interplay soccer team. I get the impression that a lot of these city league teams are random guys who have come together to play soccer, as opposed to people who work together at a video game company together and say, "Let's make a soccer team."

The uniforms:

soccer1.jpg

soccer2.jpg

Ah, don't feel so bad. I was on a city softball team once that lost every game that season. Some of the damned members were more eager to drink beer after the game than playing it. I hate those guys.

What you guys need is a marty mcsorley. Some one to punish the other team for getting too close to your goalie. I would suggest alternating Alvin and Giovanni. One's quick and ones big and they're both meaner'n hell.

Like Gorth says, forget fed-ex. Why deliver the mail when you can go postal?

Dig the jersey.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Cool jersey.

Perhaps you guys could film a match or perhaps a training session. Do you have a coach?

Heja Sverige!!

Guest The Architect

Ouch, a 7-0 loss. That no good. Must improve. Must stop talking like monkey.

Wait, monkeys can't talk.

What the hell?

*Scratches head*

I'm not on drugs or anything, despite how it looks.

Anyway, well, I'll give you some considerably lame and straightforward advice. Take it or leave it.

1. Always keep your eye on the man with the ball in indoor soccer. Uh, I know that sounds gay. I don't mean it like that. When trying to dispossess the man with the ball, I know this sounds weird, but don't go overboard with keeping your eye on the ball, because he might have good dribbling skills and be too good for you. The key is to close the guy down, give them no space, as if he's the ball, but don't kick him or anything. Close down well, and he should be forced into a mistake, being dispossessed, or be forced to pass it off.

2. You lot mustn't have good dribbling or ball control {well, it's pretty much the same thing really} skills, to lose 7-0, so don't try and be a hero and pass as much as you can, but go easy on your passes, don't kick it too hard, play off the walls if you can, and remember, when receiving passes: light touches only. Be gentle, and try to use other parts of your body, like your chest, or your stomach, to bring the ball to control and keep it at ground level as much as you can.

3. A handy dribbling move I've used as the element of surprise before back in my soccer playing days was: well, I'm a right footer, and what I'd do is kick the ball with my right foot on to my left foot so it'd bounce back towards my right foot and get the timing of it right and stuff so it'd through off wood-be tackling opponents. Try it. You don't have to be Kaka to do it.

4. Don't be indecisive. Think quickly, make your moves quickly, and don't kick yourself in the pants if your decision making causes a **** up, because indecisiveness is more of a **** up. And take some risks in indoor soccer. Shoot from longer distances, but don't do what so many people do and kick underneath the ball to give it height. Strike slightly higher, or even higher to keep the ball low. Low, hard shots are generally much harder for a keeper to stop than anything, and of course, flukish freaky goals and unlucky deflections.

Yeah, that's enough. My brain has gone sleepy poos now.

Uh, this is for indoor soccer, right?

I can't remember now, and can't be assed enough to check. Well either way, most of those "sort of" tips you can use in outdoor soccer anyway.

If it's outdoor football, one more thing: Use the wings a lot when attacking.

Edited by The Architect

7-0 isn't really surprising, the difference that having a proper team structure with basics down is massive in amateur leagues, and some of those guys have probably been playing in teams on and off for decades.

Hope it doesn't take the fun away from you guys though, football's a fun fun game... if you aren't losing 7-0 every week. :)

• 3 weeks later...
7-0 isn't really surprising, the difference that having a proper team structure with basics down is massive in amateur leagues, and some of those guys have probably been playing in teams on and off for decades.

Hope it doesn't take the fun away from you guys though, football's a fun fun game... if you aren't losing 7-0 every week. >_

We're losing pretty badly every week, but we're getting better every game. It kind of went the same way with the Obsidian softball team, which is doing really well now. Hopefully we'll win a game before the end of the season. Our best showing so far was a 6-3 loss.

If you managed to score three, then you have some sort of game going (and not just 11 man on defense running around like chickens.. like you would in a 7-0 loss). Who's your leading goal scorer?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Architect

Sorry to revive this three or so week dead thread, but how's the soccer going these days for you guys?

Edited by The Architect

• 4 weeks later...

And there was much rejoicing ;)

So, did it result in much manly group hugging/acrobatics, throwing of shirts to the cheering crowds and endless rivers of beer after the game?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hooray!

Heja Sverige!!

So, you guys scored two goals in the same game. It might be a loss, but it sure is an improvement over no (or one) goals :blink:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein