Six Flags or Sea World

busch gardens is pretty cool... one in tampa and one in virginia somewhere. it's like a mini-zoo with rides.

taks

And free beer, don't forget.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I find it interesting that their dorsal fins flop over in captivity and never go back, like they lose the will to live. Of course its hysterical to watch the fools in the front rows get soaked so Im torn on the whole thing.

I think equating the dorsal fins flopping over to losing the will to live is quite a leap. I'd sooner think it's a physical effect of a small tank compared to a big ocean over psychological affect.

Like a water pressure type thing?

I find it interesting that their dorsal fins flop over in captivity and never go back, like they lose the will to live. Of course its hysterical to watch the fools in the front rows get soaked so Im torn on the whole thing.

I think equating the dorsal fins flopping over to losing the will to live is quite a leap. I'd sooner think it's a physical effect of a small tank compared to a big ocean over psychological affect.

Like a water pressure type thing?

Possibly. I also read a theory about them constantly swimming in circles having a potential effect. Loss of the will to live would be more visible in other ways, loss of apetite, decreased activity, unresponsiveness to commands (which could also be a possible result of the previous two).

One theory is that in deep ocean waters, the pressure the water exerts on the fin allows it to remain supported while the collagen hardens. In captivity, however, shallow tanks lack sufficient water pressure to produce this effect, and the fin collapses before the collagen solidifies.[26] According to another theory, the Orca is almost always in a state of turning in a tank, since it is not large enough to allow swimming in one direction for any normal duration. The constant turning exerts pressure on the dorsal fin, which in turn causes it to collapse.[27]

Other possible explanations include alterations in water balance caused by the stresses of captivity or dietary changes, lowered blood pressure due to reduced activity patterns, or overheating of the collagen brought on by greater exposure of the fin to the ambient air.[28]

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

busch gardens is pretty cool... one in tampa and one in virginia somewhere. it's like a mini-zoo with rides.

taks

You know, I lived about 5 miles away from the VA location for 3 years and didn't go there once. This probably has something to do with those 3 years being the time I spent attending law school, which has the general effect of draining one's capacity to experience joy. (Also, the few classmates that I didn't loathe weren't really the type who enjoy rollercoasters and $5 coca-colas.)

Edited by Enoch

I'm fairly lucky to live near Cedar Point, which owns the world record for most roller coasters (with 17), including the world's 2nd tallest and fastest (420 feet, 120 mph). In fact, Cedar Point has been rated the best amusement park in the country for the past nine years by Amusement Today.

We've got a Six Flags in driving distance, too, but I've been there once in the past five years. I usually end up going to Cedar Point one or two times a summer, even now that I don't live within jogging distance of the park anymore.

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

elitch gardens is definitely old, and now that i see it was bought out by six flags, i'm not really surprised. it's tiny, too, or at least it's crammed into a small space right off of I-25. i grew up 45 minutes from six flags over mid-america, which is now called six flags st. louis. it's a pretty nice park nestled into the mountains around it (granted, missouri mountains aren't mountains in the colorado sense...).

my son is dying to go to an amusement park and we have one that shows up every couple months or so down the road. i'm guessing, knowing the way he is, the first time on a roller-coaster will have one of two very distinct outcomes: absolute horror or we'll never be able to get him off. there's no middle ground with john.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I have at least heard of Sea World, though I can't remember why. Possibly they had a famous whale or were in a movie or something? Google tells me Six Flags is a chain of theme parks, the largest in the world. You learn something new every day.

My favourite theme park is, without a doubt, Haus Ten Bosch in Japan. Who would have thought a Dutch-based theme park would be so much fun? :woot:

Err... heh. I'm dutch, and I didn't even know the japanese had a dutch-based theme park. :D

Free Beer? Where and is there a limit, I will put em out of business.

Take the brewery tour and they let you have free 8 oz samples. They say one per customer but there is a table for each kind (Bud, But Lite, Busch, Natural Lite etc) and nobody knows who's had what. Plus there are like 200 people in there at once. The beer boy making minimum wage does not care how many you get.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Take the brewery tour and they let you have free 8 oz samples. They say one per customer but there is a table for each kind (Bud, But Lite, Busch, Natural Lite etc) and nobody knows who's had what. Plus there are like 200 people in there at once. The beer boy making minimum wage does not care how many you get.

I must go there next year

A coward dies a thousand deaths but a soulja dies one~ 2Pac

And you can take the tour as many times as you like. They do one every 2 hours or so.

Thomas Sowell

And you can take the tour as many times as you like. They do one every 2 hours or so.

no i must go for the free beer

A coward dies a thousand deaths but a soulja dies one~ 2Pac

no i must go for the free beer

:unsure: You have to do the tour to get the beer! They have a little taste testing session at the end.

Thomas Sowell