Why People Hate America

Yuusha

Why do people worldwide increasingly continue to hate America? Here is a humble presentation to help Americans understand why.

Percentage of Muslims who view the US unfavorably:

• Saudi Arabia: 79%
  • Jordan 65%
  • Morocco: 49%
  • Indonesia: 62%

Views from non muslim countries:

• 2/3 of Russians reagard the USA's invasion of Iraq is a greater threat to world peace than Iran's nuclear ambition.
  • A recent poll showed that 40% of Canadian teens agreed that the US is a force of evil
  • Among Quebec teens, this number reached 64%.

What is America?

On the worldwide stage, America is not understood in terms of citizens because people in other countries simply do not know them. If they do, they may even like them. America is also not defined by the principles its citizens believe in, because other people do not see these principles in action. America in global context, is defined by its actions on the international stage. What America has done on the international stage is what defines who or what America is.

Do I hate America?

If America is the Principles of America, then I DO NOT, because it stands for PEACE, FREEDOM and JUSTICE. Red, White and Blue just like the American flag.

If America is the sum of its citizen, then I DO NOT, because I honestly have friends and family who are American.

But if America is defined by its actions, then only an ignorant or immoral person would support its foreign policy.

Frequently Asked Questions.

"Don't they hate America because they hate FREEDOM?"

Mr Bush made this arguement: Many other nations are more free than the US but are not hated.

"Don't they hate America because we are powerful?"

If Canada became the most powerful nation overnight, the US would still be hated, and Canada would still be loved. Besides, true power serves, it does not enslave.

People who hate the USA worldwide do so because they are the victims of the US' aggresive and biased foreign policy. Or because they are aware of the unethical behaviour of the USA and are strongly against it. The actions of the USA worldwide are often hard to see as anything but immoral.

"Then why don't Americans know about it?"

"If America is so evil, why don't Americans know about it?"

"Isn't there a free press in America?"

"Wouldn't independent journalists cover these stories?"

While there is a free and independent press, the media is still subject to various pressures. Before a story reaches print, it must progress through a number of stages. During which it is subject to economic, social and political pressures. When a story finally reaches a reader, it has been distorted heavily in accordance with the vested interests of various individuals and systems. There is an inherent bias in the system towards corporate and national interests.

Therefore, the average American does not have an accurate picture of their country's activities on the international stage. For a detailed analysis on the unquestionable bias on American media, read Noam Chomsky's "Manufacturing Conscent."

"What specifically has America done to cause so many people to hate them?"

One word:

TERRORISM!

Yeah that's right. TERRORISM.

Terrorism (OE): a policy intended to strike with terror those against whom it is adopted, the employment of method of intimidation.

Edited by Yuusha
coexistreflection.gif

Can you get sick from being exposed to an American?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Also, aren't you afraid they are going to fly to Jakarta and take you down for throwing all this in their faces?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I understand from your post that alot of people hate america. What I really would like to know is why you personally hate america. Tell us of one of your experiences in that god forsaken **** hole of indulgence and waste.

You know like Superman when they come with the Kryptonite

Look I'm gonna stop beating around the bush, I think its great that you have taken a view on world politics, and reading Noam Chomsky is great. But you also seem to be almost completely indoctrinated by a certain rhetoric. I know what thats like, I spent along time as a "punk" who though he knew everything and was sure willing to tell people I did. Easy explinations are ulmost never true, especially when they involve millions of people. Making blanket statements like the American government is evil really isn't going to get us anywhere, yeah you might win a few cheers from the already converted but you end up stagnating the exchange of knowledge more then helping anyone really understand the problems and how to fix them. I understand you're passionate about what you believe, but if you really care about it then perhaps you should try to be more informative instead of confrontational. I guess like alot of people I see the american military as just the strong arm of multi-national corporations and the military's actions on their part are just to assure that they keep the bulk of their money flowing through the american economy. One of the largest corporations is the Sony/Epic/BMG which inturn owns Columbia records which System of the Down albums make alot of money for. I'm sure it won't change your taste in music, but a walking contradiction is no place to ground your politcal beliefs in.

Edited by Laozi

Guest The Architect

I think the "I hate America" stereotype is poo. Seriously, who wants to hear someone have a wah about a country?

Edited by The Architect

Oh dear, when Fionavar sees this thread...

First, maybe change the title. 'Hating' in terms of politics only serves as a flamebait. Maybe something in the vein of "US foreign policy and its implications" or such.

Second, what where the metrics used for those polls? Did it take into account of different cultural behavioristics?

Third, Saudi Arabia is not a democracy, Morocco, Indonesia and Jordan are democratic on paper, but not as enforced and embraced as western democracies. Russia is definitely heading towards fascism, not really reliable. Which means that polls in those countries can easily be manipulated. Canada? i really want to check that source. Quebec? They don't 'hate' America, it's more of a friendly neighborly bickering going back to 1800's, not hating. The current state of affairs gives them more fuel to mock their 'uncyltyyred, fat aumeerikaans'.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh dear, when Fionavar sees this thread...

First, maybe change the title. 'Hating' in terms of politics only serves as a flamebait. Maybe something in the vein of "US foreign policy and its implications" or such.

Second, what where the metrics used for those polls? Did it take into account of different cultural behavioristics?

Third, Saudi Arabia is not a democracy, Morocco, Indonesia and Jordan are democratic on paper, but not as enforced and embraced as western democracies. Russia is definitely heading towards fascism, not really reliable. Which means that polls in those countries can easily be manipulated. Canada? i really want to check that source. Quebec? They don't 'hate' America, it's more of a friendly neighborly bickering going back to 1800's, not hating. The current state of affairs gives them more fuel to mock their 'uncyltyyred, fat aumeerikaans'.

add...

France

Hungary

Austria

Germany

Poland

Russia

Italy

Malta

Denmark

Luxembourg

China

India

...to the list of 'not-likers' aswell

IB1OsQq.png

France - It's France. Like Quebec, nothing serious. Like two different teams talking smudge before the great game

Hungary - Really, why are you part of NATO then?

Austria - same

Germany - same

Poland - Oh really. Then why are they building a statue of Ronald Reagan (Yes, the same president as 'Iran-Contra' and supporter of the overthrowing of the sandinist government i Nicaragua!) in the capital?

Russia - Putin wants to build a strong Russia with a semi-democratic government, think back Czar times. They need someone to compete on the geopolitical boardgame.

Italy - Under this government they are more skeptic, but remember Berlusconi's support for Bush? + the country is pretty divided on the issue with everything from communists to fascists as major players in the elections.

Malta - I have no data on their sentiments.

Denmark - Then what the HELL are they doing in Iraq? Again, divided.

Luxembourg - No data, a lot banks are there though.

China - Totalitarian communists with free market. They HAVE to disapprove with the US politics.

India - They usually have legitimate complain about the exploatation by foreign, US included, companies on their workforce. But i haven't heard about giant demonstrations against the US foreign policy though.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Bear in mind, the US 'popularity meter' has gone down since the days of Clinton, and i personally and most people i know certainly disapprove of current American administration in almost every way. But there's:

A) An election coming up, then the guy is gone, *poff*

B) The American people can change their government and its policies by voting. (I certainly hope so in the next election), other bigger countries cannot.

C) Russia and China are the real future-threats. Middle-east is just their playground.

D) I am really happy that we have a superpower that we can freely mock and make fun of, without worrying about them trying to invade our country (see eastern Europe, Finland during the cold war)

E) For those that live in democratic countries, don't like the US policy? Vote in someone who is a critic about it, they are the extension of your will, use your power to do so. And for those in the US, do the same.

Blowing up civilians will never solve anything.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

God forbid that American foreign policy should be catered to Quebecois teens. When has the rest of the world ever really liked us, save for that bit after WWII? In and of itself, a positive world opinion is not worth changing foreign policy over. There's just nothing in it for us, and we can't be assured we'll get any more cooperation than we already have in our ventures. Our history alone is more than enough to counteract any goodwill we might garner, especially in those parts of the world with the most to gain from America as boogeyman (ie the entire Southern Hemisphere) and that's not even taking into account our support of Israel. How is it in our interest? Will a change in foreign policy prevent terrorism? Not drastically. As long as we remain the lone megapower, pressing up against the rest of the world, we can expect to be used as a catalyst for revolutionary or extremist sentiment whether or not we play nice. Depending on the goodwill of foreign populations isn't worth it. I think it's a little naive to think we can make headway in the muslim world specifically, because we've thrown our lot in with the jews, and they aren't going anywhere. Why try?

Edited by Pop

Percentage of Americans who care what Yuusha thinks: 0%

Percentage of Obsidian posters who hope he comes up with a better topic next time: 95%

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Agreed.

That said, Serj Tarkhian should start writing a blog singularly, and stop making music altogether. At least my ears would be at rest.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

If this is a member's first post, I can't see them being all that productive to the community.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What SOAD, RATM and other multiple-word rockbands are doing is just baby politics. They download "propaganda and control of the public mind" by Noam Chomsky and are instantly transformed from rockers to pundits. Im not sure what the right wing counterparts read, maybe Ann Coulter for the really hardcore.

What I dont like is when I cant be bothered to either argue OR find an angle to make fun of them. Like now.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I tried to find an angle to make fun of the thread. I was going to parody it. It's quite easy since it has an absolute lack of any citation (let alone credible citation) to throw any numbers you want right back as a counterargument. But I decided it wasn't going to be funny enough to be worth my time.

Well if Tale and Kaftan cannot salvage this thread with a little bit of humor then it is doomed! Just as well. I get the sense Yuusha has no sense of humor and this whole topic is dead meat the moment Meta or Fio sees it anyway.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You can't see me, Meta!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'll tell you all the truth about why people hate America. Boy bands and Pop music. McDonald's doesn't help, either. Everytime I get a quarter pounder with cheese (mustard only, or god help you) I hate myself a little, too.

Shush you funny people, i am sincerely trying to teach reason here. Let me succeed, just this time? Pretty please with sugar on top?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy