The Best RPG developers?

Well, are we counting dead development houses? Because otherwise this is a short list.

Alive:

1. Bioware

2. Bethesda (based on experience, they deserve a nod over Obs.)

3. Obsidian

4. Blizzard (eh, action-RPG's)

5. The Gothic developer

Dead or Alive:

1. Black Isle

2. Origin

3. Bioware

4. Sir-Tech

5. Whoever did the D&D Gold boxes

RPGs, there aren't even five major companies. Just two, now. Obsidian and Bioware. And I'm not so sure about Bioware anymore.

If you want to include action RPGs and games that fall slightly between the two, then you get quite a few more. Even more if you are including MMORPGs.

Top 5, including everything commonly attached the RPG label and assuming you mean only for PC and video format (this is to exclude Pen & Paper, or electronically published works in the same style)

1. Obsidian (only company to make a good adventure oriented RPG in years)

2. CCP (EVE Online has more genuine roleplaying potential than any other game out there)

3. Blizzard (The accomplishments and accessibility of World of Warcraft are incredible)

4 & 5. As of yet undecided between a few freelance Neverwinter Nights module makers.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

FF is awesome.

BIO, and Obsidian are my favorite Western RPG developers.

Every atom of my being is telling me to let this slide, But I'm not going to. I hate Final Fantasy its complete trash and its got slowly worse over time. 7 and 8 where the 2 good ones everything since has been aweful. Its a cash cow and the men look more like woman then real life woman do, who comes up wit this crap.. Main Stream rubbish.

Time for me to pull the 'IMO' get out of flame free card.

Oh btw, I'm talking about normal RPGs not MMO or Action games with RPG elements.

SEGANERDS

#1 unofficial Sega News website

and the men look more like woman then real life woman do

Oh no, effeminate men. That is clearly a horrible thing and no decent person should enjoy games with effeminate men.

Please.

Oh btw, I'm talking about normal RPGs not MMO or Action games with RPG elements.

Then there's only one major developer making RPGs.

Edited by Tale

FF is awesome.

Every atom of my being is telling me to let this slide, But I'm not going to. I hate Final Fantasy its complete trash and its got slowly worse over time. 7 and 8 where the 2 good ones everything since has been aweful. Its a cash cow and the men look more like woman then real life woman do, who comes up wit this crap.. Main Stream rubbish.

7 & 8? How old are you? Have you played every Final Fantasy?

Yes, the series seems to have declined, or rather is being milked dry. But there have been a few classics in the bunch, my favorite being 4 on the SNES.

FF is awesome.

If you think 8 is better than 6 then your opinion is invalidated. 9 was also better than 8. 10 was also better than 8. I'm only 20 hours in, but so far 12 is better than 8. In fact, out of all the FF games I've played, only 5 is worse than 8. All of those of course can be dismissed as opinion except for 6 being better than 8. Thats fact.

Anyway. If you aren't including Action RPGs or MMOs, Obsidian and Bioware are really the only RPG devs out there. Though I guess you can include Spiderweb, but I think a lot of people dismiss their stuff because the graphics are like 15 years old.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

and the men look more like woman then real life woman do

Oh no, effeminate men. That is clearly a horrible thing and no decent person should enjoy games with effeminate men.

Please.

Its not effeminate men, Its woman with penises. Theres something totally wrong when I know Id hit most of them.

If anyones played the Sega/Arc 2D Fighter 'Guilty Gear' they take the piss out of girly men by making the (male) char bridget:

bridgethu9.jpg

Edited by ryan@seganerds

SEGANERDS

Sorry to dubble post,

To HurlShot I'm 20 and no I havent played them all, I played a cupple of the old 2D sprite and most of the 3D ones no Spin offs or any of that. But my girlfriends brother is one of them japanese wana be's and he is crazy about them so I've played pretty much all of them or watched them being played.

Oerwinde, To be honest I only know for sure which one 7 is out of 6,8 & 9 its a blur. 7 was the one I thought was pretty good and one of the others but I really havent got a clue which is which its been years since I had any interest in playing them anyway.

All I know is 10, 10-2, 12 and the GameCube one have all been completely rubbish in my opinion. The MMO I didnt even look at.

SEGANERDS

"I hate Final Fantasy its complete trash and its got slowly worse over time. 7 and 8 where the 2 good ones"

This doesn't compute. How cna it be 'complete trash' when you say at leats two of thema re good. Also, for 'complete trash'; you sre played them a lot.

Let me figure this out: You hate FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 yet still picked up 7? LMAOATWTKKUYADYTATWTKK

Also, to others, FF8 is the best Final Fantasy ever.

Ever. Period. Game over.

P.S. I know you haven't played them all but it's still hilarious! :bat:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This doesn't compute. How cna it be 'complete trash' when you say at leats two of thema re good. Also, for 'complete trash'; you sre played them a lot.

Don't nit pick lol, Ok, Its completely trash apart from the ones that I liked.. :bat:

As for why I've played them like I said up there, my girlfriends brother who I see alot is Final Fantasy crazy hes always got one of them on the go.

Let me figure this out: You hate FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 yet still picked up 7? LMAOATWTKKUYADYTATWTKK

Also, to others, FF8 is the best Final Fantasy ever.

Ever. Period. Game over.

I smell that this topic is NEVER going to get back on topic after that one.

I might have just started WW3 in here.. well, bed time for me. :o

SEGANERDS

8 is the second worst FF since it came to Sony. 10 being slightly whinier.

I swear, the main character of 10 probably cuts himself at night.

Including live and dead ones...

Interplay (pre-BIS)

Black Isle Studios

Origin (before they degenerated)

SSI

Paradise Programming/Datasoft

Epyx

Only including live ones...

Obsidian

Bioware

Umm... are there anyone left? :bat:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just wondering which RPG developers you would say where the best of the lot, say top 5.

Oh and I'm talking about western RPGs none of that pansy Final Fantasy stuff.

define 'western' please

Of the West.

so west of Haiti?

Or West of the Moon?

IB1OsQq.png

Just wondering which RPG developers you would say where the best of the lot, say top 5.

Oh and I'm talking about western RPGs none of that pansy Final Fantasy stuff.

define 'western' please

Of the West.

so west of Haiti?

Or West of the Moon?

The moon has a west?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world

Edited by Tale

SSI

Well, hello Gorth. Nice to see a familiar skull...

I was a tad too young for RPGs when SSI released classics like Curse of the Azure Bonds and Death Knights of Krynn (I was 11 years when DKoK was released though, so, maybe I could've started there but oh well).

Of past and present:

1. Black Isle

2-4: Bioware, Troika, Obsidian

Surviving companies only:

1. Obsidian

2. Bioware

3. The Neverwinter Nights modding community (creators of more quality content than many professional developers)

4. Bethesda

5. Lionhead Studios (Fable had a few good points, and Fable2 might be better?)

Sierra, creator of one of my favourite RPGs, Quest for Glory, still exists, but might as well not. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what Planewalker Games will do, but could hardly put them on the list before they've released anything.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well, hello Gorth. Nice to see a familiar skull...

Well, hello Lord Elden. Nice to see a familiar Paladin...

How do you explain the beauty 8x8 pixel modifed ascii charaters in 16 colours to a crowd who is more worried about clipping errors, shader models and badly designed ragdoll physics?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein