The Lost Tomb of Jesus...

Sand

Recently there has been a lot of news reports about the documentory and a book of all things about this Lost Tomb of Jesus. The basic rundown is that those who found it claim that this is the tomb of Jesus Christ, that he wasn't ressurected and he had a kid to boot. As I read the article and watch the news reports on this, for some odd reason I find religion fascinating, I realize I really didn't care too much about it.

If it is the tomb of Jesus, good for him. If not, well good for the guy entombed for now he had his post-mortem 15 minutes of fame. In my particular view this does not change my view on Christianity, for good or ill, one way or another. Although the religion may have started out as teachings of a man named Jesus, after 2000 years of expansion, interpretations, re-interpretations, a reformation here and there, Christianity today is very different than what it was when it first started. What Christianity is today and how it effect people alive in the here and now is what matters, for good or ill, not whether or not Jesus was entombed or resurrected. Who knows, he might have resurrected, got married, had a kid, then died. There is no way in knowing with any sort of certainty.

Some say that this may be bunk, others may say it is true, but I say that it is irrelevant.

Anyway, I am curious what you guys think about this whole Jesus tomb business.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

There's this book I read. It wasn't a novel, more like a history book of some such. It was called "The story of Jesus" or something.

What I remember most about the book is that, not only did it tell the story of what Jesus did during his 15-20 years absence from Bethlehem, Jerusalem and this part of the world(in the Bible Jesus dissappears at around 15 years old and comes back at 32, doing miracles and then... dying.) but it also proposed that Jesus didn't die on the cross but rather fell in a "short" coma, got up 2 days later and walked out of his tomb, with the help of his mother and his wife who were weaping outside and heard the rumblings behind the stone door.

Meh.

Sand, I thought for you religion was a private thing that should never be public. Why are you asking this this morning? :p

Guest Accept

I read about this in the newspaper a couple days ago.

And they totally rejected the thing that it acutally was Jesus Christ that was the guy in the tomb, and they said that "Jesus" (Like those who found the tomb claims it stands on it) was a very common name back then, and that it could be someone else named "Jesus".

Well, that's what they claim - me myself?

Well, i don't think Jesus Christ is the one in the tomb. :p

Sand, I thought for you religion was a private thing that should never be public. Why are you asking this this morning? :huh:

When a person continuously reasserts that (s)he does not care about something, what does it really show about said person? :p

Sand, I thought for you religion was a private thing that should never be public. Why are you asking this this morning? :huh:

That is one's worship and practice of religion. Discussing it on a academic level for debate on its efects on society and politics is all fine and good. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

There's this book I read. It wasn't a novel, more like a history book of some such. It was called "The story of Jesus" or something.

What I remember most about the book is that, not only did it tell the story of what Jesus did during his 15-20 years absence from Bethlehem, Jerusalem and this part of the world(in the Bible Jesus dissappears at around 15 years old and comes back at 32, doing miracles and then... dying.) but it also proposed that Jesus didn't die on the cross but rather fell in a "short" coma, got up 2 days later and walked out of his tomb, with the help of his mother and his wife who were weaping outside and heard the rumblings behind the stone door.

Meh.

Sand, I thought for you religion was a private thing that should never be public. Why are you asking this this morning? :)

I watched a small documentary on it and basically the chances of it not being Jesus are so minute its impossible. The person entombed inside is named Jesus, and theres a bunch of other references inside to people who had names of people closely associated with him. Things like his parents names and a bunch of other stuff, they made it sound really convincing of course and I have horrible memory so I don't even remember.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

The thing is does it really matter if it is or not? Do you really think this discover will change how one will view Christianity or change the way a Christian venerates his or her deity?

The thing is does it really matter if it is or not? Do you really think this discover will change how one will view Christianity or change the way a Christian venerates his or her deity?

They could find conclusive evidence that Jesus never existed but people would still believe. It all comes with the territory of blind faith and all that jazz. Of course it'd give atheist some arguing points to fuel the fire for the war on Christmas and all that stuff but both sides would still be ignorant fools who are arguing over something thats honestly pretty irrelevant.

Edit: btw I'm just generalizing a large portion of people who say they are Christian or Atheist but know almost absolutely nothing about their beliefs except the fact that they "are." There are plenty of awesome and smart people who are Christian and Atheist but the people who just buy into this stuff without even reading the bible or really having a clue about what they label themselves are, really give a black eye to the whole. Same with stupid white kidse who think they are Buddhist even though they don't know the first thing about it.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I don't believe in it at all.

That's all I have to say on matter :)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I would think it could. If Jesus in fact did not ressurect and ascend into heaven and is simply a corpse in the ground it would profoundly change the view of his "second coming".

Oh my science!

But seriously, I don't think it would matter. The Christian and Catholic organizations are widespread and too influential to be shaken by a documentary that doesn't really provide conclusive evidence.

Besides, its all about money, power and influence over the masses right? I doubt any organization will relinquish that in a hurry.

:):huh::lol:

There are a few possibilities that may result from this(if true and proven so):

(in order of likeliness)

1. Christians will claim it is false

2. Christians will claim it is proof of their religion

3. New christian sects will rise up incorporating this development

Hopefully their will be a christian gathering and Zombie Jesus will rise again to suck all the brains out of his followers.... oh wait, how ironic!

For all of you believers: Clicky!!!

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I'm hoping someone will clone Jesus. That would be awesome.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't think it matters at all, for essentially the reasons withteeth stated.

When it comes to faith, people believe what they want to believe.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

True enough. I guess it will take more than just the tomb of Jesus to shake faith, but of course if one has strong enough faith nothing in the world can shake it loose.

the overall concept of christianity does not necessarily need to hinge on whether there exists some physical form of the man himself anyway. the new testament did not exist till several hundred years after christ's death (and supposed resurrection), and there's no reason it cannot be reinterpreted to mean that his physical form remained on earth. likewise the potential discovery of aliens, for example, which can easily be reinterpreted to mean we all are simply part of a larger group of "god's people." he (uh, god) never strictly said there weren't others out there for that matter. it's just read that way. it would make sense that were there to be a god, he'd probably not spend a lot of time explaining to folks about life on other planets when they don't even understand the concept of other planets to begin with. heck, the concept of other planets was originally challenged on religious grounds.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

Actually I read a comic where 2nd coming Jesus was cloned to fight vampires, with his ninja skills and divine powers. Battle Jesus wasn't too happy when he found out he was cloned.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Actually I read a comic where 2nd coming Jesus was cloned to fight vampires, with his ninja skills and divine powers. Battle Jesus wasn't too happy when he found out he was cloned.

Haha, that sounds awesome. =]

I doubt it would make much difference, even if the evidence were more convincing. And besides which there are people out there whose faith in the Book (as opposed to God) was unshaken by several hundred years of dug up dinosaur fossils.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Source? Torrent? PLZ???? :ermm:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Guys, this "Jesus' Family Tomb" is highly disputed by archaeologists and theologists. I can't believe you are even discussing this as scientific fact.

Also, Christians and non-Christians alike don't realize that this is a serious affront to Christianity. If this were true, Christians would have to defy a whole segments of the Bible and their beliefs: Corinthians 15, specifically verses 12-19. Read it and you'll see why. This is fundamental for Christians. If Jesus didn't rise from the dead, then death has not been defeated, and nobody will rise again. Not to mention the gospel accounts, where it explicitly says Jesus is raised from the dead and goes to heaven.

And seriously, Mary Magdalene? Why would she be in the same tomb as Jesus? What about Jesus' other sisters and brothers? Why the heck aren't they in the tomb? What about Joseph, Jesus' father? Where is he? Isn't it his family's tomb?

Then I hear the "statistics". I'm sure it's true that there can statistically be only one tomb with all these names, but that doesn't automatically make it Jesus Christs' tomb.

Also, if the disciples were actually trying to hide the fact that Jesus didn't rise from the dead, why would they put him in a tomb with his name on a bone-box? That would certainly make them the worst group of con-men I've ever heard of.

Edited by Blank

Here I was lead to believe that Mary Mag was a hooker who followed jesus because he showed her the light. Not his sister.

Edit: changed a word for decorum.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.