Books

metadigital

It's nice enough that it gets every dumb**** from here to Zooster to read instead of endlessly watch tv.

Eh.

I'm reading Conn Iggulden's Emperor:Gods of War

Prety decent, but then again...he's Conn Iggulden ffs.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Guest The Architect

I would read more, but people who go to the library over here get stoned, so I stay away from it.

And by stoned, I don't mean get high on drugs.

The only books I can get my hands on are TAFE books, and they're all about boring, bureaucratic business garbage, bureaucratic business garbage that I'm learning though, so yeah.

Then again, I could just buy books on eBay, so technically there are no excuses.

I'm pretty much just one of those dumb ****s from Zooster I guess.

Harry Potter represents an entire generation that is suddenly interested in reading again, so I'm pretty pro-Potter.

I think you mean "represents an entire generation that's only interested in reading Harry Potter".

Edited by The Architect

I would read more, but people who go to the library over here get stoned, so I stay away from it.

lol u aussies r such barbarians

Harry Potter's are decent. But Rowling really should cut amount of the adverbs. And other stuff.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

And stop using "with gusto".

I hate that phrase.

Also, it's hard to read Potters once you realise how big archetypes the characters actually are. I mean, having read a childhood's worth of Enid Blyton, you come recognize some patterns.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Harry Potter represents an entire generation that is suddenly interested in reading again, so I'm pretty pro-Potter.

I think you mean "represents an entire generation that's only interested in reading Harry Potter".

Potter is a gateway drug. Sure, they may only read about Harry at first, but eventually they'll get the urge to read about other wizards. It might start off as an innocent Neil Gaiman book, but eventually they'll be full-blown readers.

Seriously though, Rowlings has surpassed even CS Lewis and RL Stine in terms of getting young people to read. Whether you are a fan or not, I don't get how you can discount the importance she has had on young readers. The Potter books are by no means light reading, and children are challenging themselves to read these books even though they are usually many levels above their grade level reading. It's also great to see a book become such a major attraction. I had the same feeling about Dan Brown, I didn't think he was all that great of a writer, but tons of people were reading the Da Vinci code. Literature needs superstars like this, it helps every genre and every author.

I agree. If Rowling has anything to be proud of, it's this revival.

kirottu said:

And all the Harry/Malcolm fanfics

Oh wait....

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Harry Potter books got me back into reading in '06 after Stephen King's Hearts in Atlantis got me out of it in '99. Since then I've been back, baby!

Amazon.com has pre-orders for the book at 17.00 with guaranteed (or it's FREE) release day delivery on standard shipping.

Edit: Misplaced apostraphe.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

And all the Harry/Malcolm fanfics

Oh wait....

Hagrid x Neville ;)

Keep your wits about you and stay with ReTakes and ReDeaths, at least you'll be sane.

kirottu said:

I have a recording on my home computer of a Goku - Anne Frank fanfic being read over Teamspeak.

Actually I've only small samples of any HP fanfiction since I tend to despise fanfics in general (yikes, I guess that makes me like Robin Hobb). Even those carefully treaded journey's were enough to confirm my beliefs on their pure malice and plain wrongness :p

Geez, Hagrid x Neville exists? ;)

Edited by Xard

Yes. Female majority on campus acquaints one with these things. Unfortunately.

I like Hobb's ideas(FizChivalry x Fool/Amber, no thanks), just not her attitude. I've read her "blog" somewhat and she came across as a spiteful old hag everytime someone mentioned fanworks. Then again, I know I'd be angry if I saw what they do to my characters in Teh Internets. Jesus, and some of these people call themselves fans, ffs.

kirottu said:

Anne Frank fanfic? You mean like her developing special mutant powers and kicking the nazis?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Anne Frank fanfic? You mean like her developing special mutant powers and kicking the nazis?

No, but Goku does save her from Hitler. And they fall in love. It's so very sweet.

Goku from DB? ;)

Goku from DB? ;)

Is there another?

Well, the original Monkey King Son Goku... and stuff

Animal Farm by George Orwell

depressing little read. I had no idea what the book was about but after just a few pages i knew what was going to happen.

I knew that was going to happen to boxer. Now was this book trying to resemble communism in the USSR? The Napoleon Character threw me off, was it rather to resemble his era?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

It is an allegory for the rise of Communism in the USSR. If i remember correctly, the main characters are Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It is an allegory for the rise of Communism in the USSR. If i remember correctly, the main characters are Lenin, Trotsky and Stalin.
The plot is an allegory in which the pigs in a farm play the role of the Bolshevik revolutionaries and overthrow and oust the human owners of the farm, setting it up as a commune in which, at first, all animals are equal.

Well the pigs names aren't those, but i can see it symbolically for sure. The disagreement trick that led up to the windmill was an interesting twist, that i did not expect.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

The plot is an allegory in which the pigs in a farm play the role of the Bolshevik revolutionaries and overthrow and oust the human owners of the farm, setting it up as a commune in which, at first, all animals are equal.

Well the pigs names aren't those, but i can see it symbolically for sure. The disagreement trick that led up to the windmill was an interesting twist, that i did not expect.

IIRC the parallels were:

Old Major: Lenin/Marx/Engle composite

Snowball: Trotsky

Napolean: Stalin

Squealer: Pravda (I think) the newspaper

The Crow (dont remember name): Russian Orthodox Church

Boxer: Bolshevick party members

Dogs: NKVD (secret police pre-KGB)

Mr Jones: Czar Nicholas II

Mr. Fredrick: The Germans

The other neighbor (do not remeber name): The British.

The donkey: Russian Jews

Mollie: The russian nobility who flen the revolution.

There are others but thats all I remember. It's been a few years since I read it last.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell