Books

metadigital

I have numerous "favourite" authors too (from finnish I should mention Waltari and Kjell West

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Nathan Long - "The Blackhearts"

Excellent fantasy, just the way I like it. The "good" guys get abused, wronged, humiliated, treated unfairly, reviled, tricked and manipulated... and then they die :)

Ok, so a few survive, i guess they needed to leave it open for a continuation. It was still a well written and well paced story though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

heh, my relationship with Le Guin's work is somewhat strange. I mean, she is a good writer and all that, but I can't say I really love her books. I have read "The Dispossessed: An ambiguous utopia" in which I didn't find anything attractive, and the "Earthsea Quartet", which let me with mixed feelings.

For some strange (based on people speaking of Le Guin) reason, I cannot get into her world. Maybe because it's written clearly from a character's perspective, but Earthsea seems so narrow a world, with most of its culture presented looking as if existing to serve the plot instead of existing separately from it, that makes it "unnatural".

Her stories are nice, though she is stretching them far too long, especially "The Tombs of Atuan" that almost made me quit reading, because of repetitiveness. Anyway, I hope that the Tales will change my mind.

P.S. The Farthest shore was the best plot-wise, but the end being somewhat anti-climatic, left a bad taste.

P.P.S. People usually consider me crazy (or an idiot) after saying the above.

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

Based on the reccomendations of Musopticon (and others) I picked up a copy of China Mieville's The Scar. If it's good I'll send you a 6 pack of Flying Dog. If it's bad I'll send you something else! Something else.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I attempted to read one of Le Guin's books a few months back, but found I could not summon the attention to continue reading, which is actually somewhat rare for me - I've read LOTR twice, but perhaps more through willpower than interest the second time.

Would somebody care to suggest a good starting point for her universe? I can't guarantee I was even reading the first book.

Which book were you reading? The first book written about Earthsea (which if I am not mistaken is supposed to be read first) is "A Wizard of Earthsea".

I can't remember, but cheers - I'll try that one.

The one I was reading started off with a kid who charmed goats lol.

Which book were you reading? The first book written about Earthsea (which if I am not mistaken is supposed to be read first) is "A Wizard of Earthsea".

I can't remember, but cheers - I'll try that one.

The one I was reading started off with a kid who charmed goats lol.

Uhh, that's propably it :-

When I first read Tales of the Earthsea I didn't really like them, I only got halfway through the first book. Few years passed and I tried them again. And they were aaaawesome :-

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

You're not part of the demographic, sadly. Sex change and being a complete wuss are unfortunately needed. Which I found out the hard way.

Edit: I'm currently reading the Fritz Lieber's Second Book of Lankhmar, a collection of the later Gray Mouser stories. It's not as light-hearted and adventurous as the First Book, but the writing on the other hand is quite a bit more solid and the characters have actually matured, which isn't something you can find often in swords and sorcery novels. Fafhrd is seriously one of my favorite characters, ever. It's true that Lieber has interposed features on the characters that are not exactly believable in the late medieval scope of things, but that's just what makes them so spellbinding. It's like Mouser and Fahrd look and comment on things beyond the focalizer of main characters, in a way they criticize Lieber himself and the genre. It's a bit immersion-breaking, needs a bit of suspension of disbelief, but escapism isn't something I'm looking for anyway. I love how the writer can be ironic and still carry the story forward, without seeming out of place.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

dunno lol

I remember how it freaked me out when I was 12 years old. Awesome novel.

• 1 month later...

Re-reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I haven't read it since college and it makes so much more sense to me now.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Some easily digestible stuff...

Graham McNeill - "Fulgrim"

Mitchel Scanlon - "Descent of Angels"

Looking forward to the next book in the series "Legion"

All set in the Warhammer 40k universe :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Uh...

I just finished Arthur Miller's The Death of a Salesman. Absolutely gripping, I read it in two sittings, I could hardly put the book away.

My order of Keat's Collected Poems arrived, but I have yet to peruse is, except lightly. I'd actually immerse myself in it right away, if it weren't that the book is in Tampere and I at Kouvola.

Currently, I'm in the middle of Moor****'s The Skrayling Tree, my second Elric book ever, it's very decent, even with so little of the albino prince himself.

Then there's The Dragon Waiting(a Masque of History), by John M. Ford! Part of Fantasy Masterworks binge, with Lieber and others, this is probably the best thing I had read in months, besting even the latest, very decent, Robin Hobb book. There's just something engrossing about the world and characters Ford has written. The premise sounds like an awful anachronistic history cliche - what if Byzantium didn't fall to Ottomans - but I haven't read so good a fantasy setting influenced by Renaissance Europe since Guy Kavriel Kay's last book - and that had only elements of Italy and Southern France. The Dragon Waiting is such a lost classic, I can't believe I had missed it so completely.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

• 3 weeks later...

Im about halfway through Steven Erikson's Midnight Tides, book 5 of 10 in his Malazan series. Pretty dang good stuff, he's currently my 2nd favorite author.

As capable of inconvenience, and of some damage and debt to those that would act against my interests, I cannot f*^ng argue with dangerous.