I hope this is struck down in court.

Arkan

What every one of you has failed to notice is that cancer is not an airborn communicable disease so immunization isnt "required" like the other examples that have been cited. This is not "for the greater good" as all anyone has to do to prevent this cancer is have safe sex.

And all anyone has to do to prevent being harmed in a car accident is to drive safely. No need for seatbelts.

Or eyes. We could just not drive. I don't think we shoudl teach kids how to tieknots, because then they will be encouraged to mountaineer. Mountaineering causes totally unnecessary deaths every year.

I don't see how seatbelts and vaccinations compare to forbidding activities and slippery slope arguments.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Just to say somthing on this,

I'm honestly against it. For a number of reasons, a few being that right now schools are in a bind to have enough money around to get text books much less a multimillion doller contract for an immunization against somthing that is generally transmitted off of school facilities. To mandate that "you must have this shot so you don't get cancer in 20 odd years from screwing your boyfriend" feels like the school is leaving is purview of making sure your kids get a good education and instead the principal is trying to get kickbacks from a drug company if he can get this to catch on nation wide.

Yes as kids we are vaccinated against disease but generally these diseases would strike while we were still children and are highly contagious so that if we had it and didn't know it we'd infect several children (possibly killing them) before we were finially diagnosed and taken to the hospital. If it was a vaccination for somthing like say, SARS i'd go for it because SARS is spread EXTREMLY easily. Meanwhile an STD requires a illicit copulation between two underage children who would probably be consenting to this.

Walsh... Your wrong (according to wiki) the versions of HPV that cause cervical cancer are sexually transmitted only. HPV is actually a group name for about 100 virus's that work in similar ways.

However I think that this should be taken into consideration

A history of infection with one or more high-risk HPV types is believed to be a prerequisite for the development of cervical cancer; according to the American Cancer Society, women with no history of the virus do not develop this type of cancer. However, most HPV infections are cleared rapidly by the immune system and do not progress to cervical cancer. Because the process of transforming normal cervical cells into cancerous ones is slow, cancer occurs in people who have been infected with HPV for a long time, usually over a decade or more (Greenblatt, 2005; Sinal and Woods, 2005).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

'Preciate the correction, Calax. That's how I learn. Good rejoinder as well. In any event, I think the slipery slope notion is just nuts. Teenagers think about sex. Our whole society is oriented on doing what we want when we want it *eats zebra burger while riding accountant around office like a pony* not immunising people against something that we KNOW they are going to do is just foolish.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What every one of you has failed to notice is that cancer is not an airborn communicable disease so immunization isnt "required" like the other examples that have been cited. This is not "for the greater good" as all anyone has to do to prevent this cancer is have safe sex.

I may have missed something about cervical cancer, but I'll wager you can get it without having sex.

I may be off base but iirc, this particular vaccination is for a cancer caused by HPV (Human Papilloma Virus (SP?)) which I think can only be contracted though sex. So thats my point, all current "must have" vaccinations for public school are for viruses that are easily trasmitted via touch or air, and hence they make sense to have in place for the greater good of the community. This is not the case with this vaccine which treats a virus you cant get just walking about.

If people want to have sex for godsakes man, let them have sex. If it is done safely and through the use of contraceptives where is the harm?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

My point has nothing to do with the act of sex and everything to do with the manner of contraction. Mandating vaccination for a virus thats non-transimittable through convention means and only effect a niche of the population is akin to mandating a balanced diet. As a matter of fact, Id wager the govenor of TX would better serve his constituency by enforcing such a mandate. Think of the billions of state dollars saved in obesity related health issues and the thousands of people saved from themselves!

A good way to beat obesity is to have a more active life and exercise but it seems nowadays recess is discouraged at the grade schools of many states.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Ah. I think Sando may ahave touched on something there. The US gov can't say that barrier contraception is a good idea. Thus it must resort to the far inferior method of advocating vaccination. Or am I way out?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And all anyone has to do to prevent being harmed in a car accident is to drive safely. No need for seatbelts.

That would be just fine, if you were the only person on the road driving. :down:

Let's say you're sitting at a stoplight, minding your own business, not wearing a seatbelt, then someone rams you from behind at 50 miles per hour. Or how about you're driving on the highway at 70 miles per hour, then your tire blows and your car spirals out of control - in the middle of traffic. Or maybe you're driving home at night, stopped at a stop sign, then a crazy drunk driver comes out of nowhere and hits you head on. Or perhaps you're a senior citizen who suddenly has a heart attack behind the wheel, and the car goes out of control, and you collide into opposing traffic (which did happen in my own town).

Case closed. Wear a seatbelt, children. :huh:

I believe irony was at work. It's like goldy or bronzy, only made of iron.

-Elwood Blues

That would be just fine, if you were the only person on the road driving. :down:

Let's say you're sitting at a stoplight, minding your own business, not wearing a seatbelt, then someone rams you from behind at 50 miles per hour. Or how about you're driving on the highway at 70 miles per hour, then your tire blows and your car spirals out of control - in the middle of traffic. Or maybe you're driving home at night, stopped at a stop sign, then a crazy drunk driver comes out of nowhere and hits you head on. Or perhaps you're a senior citizen who suddenly has a heart attack behind the wheel, and the car goes out of control, and you collide into opposing traffic (which did happen in my own town).

10 points to the person who realizes how this can still apply to the topic at hand.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

10 points to the person who realizes how this can still apply to the topic at hand.

Ooh! OOH! I know!

You don't encourage accidents by providing safety equipment?

-Elwood Blues

Rape?

I believe you'll find that's never the answer.

-Elwood Blues

Rape?

I believe you'll find that's never the answer.

well it could be a reason for vaccination, but it's a 1 in a million chance that a girl will get raped and the rapist would also have HPV.

Doesn't it also rather depend on how much vaccinations cost? I mean if it's tuppence ha'penny then it should be worth it even if the chances are low. If it's 100 bucks a pop then maybe the money would be better spent elsewhere.

-Elwood Blues

Doesn't it also rather depend on how much vaccinations cost? I mean if it's tuppence ha'penny then it should be worth it even if the chances are low. If it's 100 bucks a pop then maybe the money would be better spent elsewhere.

hence why mandatory vaccination against HPV is a very stupid idea

From the original link:

The New Jersey-based drug company could generate billions in sales if Gardasil
Edited by Gfted1

If we go through with this vaccination why not have all public schools become "boarding" and have their diet be a regimen of greens and meat without any candy, soda or other high sugar foods? It prevents diabetes so under your justification it should be done.

My state, Va, just passed laws banning sugery food in public schools, and I supported it... :)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Depends on the state, but the average cost of the HPV vaccine is $120 per dose. That's $360 per child for a full vaccination. I'm of the persuasion that the gov't is the best conduit for handling this matter of public healtyh. A family might be able to pay their own way for a single child, but it's serious debt for a family with 4 or more children. As I understand it, insurance companies aren't much help either.

Some doctors in New York and Arizona are refusing to carry the vaccine, because at $120 a vial, they lose too much money from lost, broken or mislabeled vials.

Merck is, of course, going to make a grotesque killing.

You seem not to understand, the vaccine will not work if given to an older female. Thus you have to give it to girls when they are young, regardless of their sexual plans

Areas in California are also beginning to discuss or pass ordinaces/laws/whatever about not allowing many "bad" foods to be sold in schools, as well, particularly vending machines.

You seem not to understand, the vaccine will not work if given to an older female. Thus you have to give it to girls when they are young, regardless of their sexual plans
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It'll work, just not as well or as often.

I'ts my understanding that it'll only work in someone if they have not yet been infected with the virus - since it's easy to get HPV and it often has no symptoms to let a person know they've contracted it, the obvious "target" of vaccines are young children before they've ever had any sex. Regardless of how one may morally feel about it, in this day and age, and in some cultures, that typically means the very young.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts