The Worst Game Endings

Pop

The worst ending ever is in the game of life

Spoilers

You die.

:-

Um. Any sequels planned yet?

I don't remember what the dark side ending for JKII was, so it must not have been good enough to make an impression. And somehow I skipped from Dark Forces to Jedi Knight II in my Star Wars gaming and missed the first Jedi Knight.
JK2 didn't allow you to choose, there was no dark side ending, so it's probably a good thing you don't remember it.

And (save for the cringe-worthy FMV acting) the original JK was pretty sweet. And it had an expansion that was even better.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The worst ending ever is in the game of life

Spoilers

You die.

:-

I used to win it it all the time.

I always hated the lack of a save and reload options in that game :-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

yes.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

yes.

Then I am quite confused about comments such as "God Mode" and save and reload.

I never played the game, so I wouldn't know. And anyway your post wasn't actually directed at me. Which makes my post spam. Wheee. I need a drink.

Heja Sverige!!

I suppose God Mode could exist in a board game.  You know, just pretend you can't die or something.  WHen you fall on the "you die" square, just ignore it!

Exactly, you are displaying board-game bigotry by not appreciating good cheating techniques that existed way before the computer was a games machine!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If I was to smoke one, there would be a good chance of me needing open chest surgery afterwards. =]

Heja Sverige!!

I suppose God Mode could exist in a board game.  You know, just pretend you can't die or something.  WHen you fall on the "you die" square, just ignore it!

Exactly, you are displaying board-game bigotry by not appreciating good cheating techniques that existed way before the computer was a games machine!

I used to cheat in Fighting Fantasy choose your own adventures all the time!

If I was to smoke one, there would be a good chance of me needing open chest surgery afterwards. :)

That's only with cuban cigars Roffle

Pneumothorax.

I had one of these, so no smoking for me now. Although I didn't use to smoke anything legal, anyway...

On topic: Sim city always has a bad ending.

Heja Sverige!!

Defender of the Crown - In true Cinemaware Style

You know, it took my about 12 years to finally learn how to joust in that game!

Oh man, I hated Defender of the Crown. After jousts my royal dude always looked SOooooo depressed. :unsure:

As far as worst endings go, I still probably hate The Secret of Mana the most.

So we have three main characters - the guy who was kicked out of his village, the girl who ran away from home rather than be forced into marriage and the magical creature who was stranded from his magical realm (and I believe LIKED being in the normal world).

So how does the game end? The magical creature is stuck in his home world, the girl goes back to her father (even though nothing in the game has caused him to budge on his arranged marriage) and the guy goes back to his village (despite the fact that they never apologised for kicking him out of the village for something that was destined to happen).

I threw my controler at the ground in disgust after that. Really glad that I didn't break it... :o

Final Fantasy Tactics' end seemed to suffer from really poor translation (as did Breath of Fire 2 on a whole, but the endings seemed confused by the English language).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh man, I hated Defender of the Crown.  After jousts my royal dude always looked SOooooo depressed. :unsure:

I don't think I ever won a single joust. But I once managed to kill my opponent's horse.

Anyway, about worst endings :

- Arcanum : the whole game tends to be disappointing, but the end is especially lame.

- Icewind Dale : I hate IWD ; the fact that they inserted Crenshinibon in it only made it worse (what is it with D&D CRPG and Salvatore novels, seriously ?) ; also, Balhifet ranks among the least interesting villains ever.

- Anything from Silmarils : they just couldn't be bothered with actually giving their games real endings.

- MM 6 : Yeah, I just blew up a random demon base ! I really feel like I accomplished something !

You remeber the ending of Darklands ? I've been playing that again recently. After the awesomes of defying the Witch Sabbat that came across as really lame (and taking all my hard own florins too... the game never ends, but has a final cutscene). Well anyway another dissapointing ending is both syndicate games, specifically syndicate wars, since that had a kickass introduction.

I don't have much background in D&D lore (and auxiliary stories), so I thought IWD's ending was okay. It was fun the first time I played because I had no idea who was responsible for the extended winter and kept thinking "maybe it's this person" whenever a new antagonist was revealed. After that, though, the curse of my photographic memory reduced the game to hack-n-slash reruns with no further surprises. (I can only truly enjoy a game the first time I play it.)

IWD2's ending wasn't that great for me because I loved 'cleaning up' the ruins of the Hand in IWD. The whole 'corrupted mythal' thing was a tad interesting, but I still I hated seeing the tower go. It would have made an interesting stronghold. All in all the most interesting building I've experienced of all the d&d-based CRPGs I've played.

The NWN series hasn't kept my interest because of the inability to truly influence people; everything is forced to some degree. It simplifies design, but kills replayability. I can't even bring myself to run NWN2 now. It has become the final straw that has sent me running back to the Ultima series, my all-time favorite CRPG games. Now I'm planning a (non-public) rewrite/upgrade of Ultima IV, my favorite in the series. Perhaps I can make the ending a little better while I'm at it.