The Escapist: The Rise and Fall of Troika

Morgoth

Maybe they wanted to make sure they got all the Black Isle peeps they could get first or maybe the Troika peeps didn't apply. :blink:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

In conclusion, Troika failed to hire enough people to complete their games on time and within the budget, and they blame the publishers for this. They apparently believed that publishers are a charity that will keep dropping more and more money into the bottomless pit that is game development, with no questions asked. If that's the way Fargo managed Interplay, it's little wonder the company was on a deathbed even before Herve drove it into the ground.

Edited by Sammael

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

In conclusion, Troika failed to hire enough people to complete their games on time and within the budget, and they blame the publishers for this. They apparently believed that publishers are a charity that will keep dropping more and more money into the bottomless pit that is game development, with no questions asked. If that's the way Fargo managed Interplay, it's little wonder the company was on a deathbed even before Herve drove it into the ground.

That's one view, certainly. I refer you to my version. You can't break new ground and expect it to be an orderly process. Hence planning gets a might tricksy.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Which ToEE fan patches did you use?

I just checked the ToEE folder in my "Patches & Mods" folder, and these are the files I have:

Circle_of_Eight_Mod_Pack_4.0.0.exe

TempleFrontend.exe

TOEE_PATCH1_ENU.EXE

TOEE_USA_ANY-PATCH2.EXE

ToEE_Fan_Fixes_V3-0-4.zip

And please define 'immensely."

I loved the TB combat, and I never thought that would happen after JA2 ruined all TB combat games for me. Not a game to play for the story and characters, coz those are crap. Can't beat 2 bucks, though.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Which ToEE fan patches did you use?

I just checked the ToEE folder in my "Patches & Mods" folder, and these are the files I have:

Circle_of_Eight_Mod_Pack_4.0.0.exe

TempleFrontend.exe

TOEE_PATCH1_ENU.EXE

TOEE_USA_ANY-PATCH2.EXE

ToEE_Fan_Fixes_V3-0-4.zip

And please define 'immensely."

I loved the TB combat, and I never thought that would happen after JA2 ruined all TB combat games for me. Not a game to play for the story and characters, coz those are crap. Can't beat 2 bucks, though.

That's helpful, thx.

Recent crpgs sometimes leave me feeling more like spectator than participant, so I'm ready to micromanage 2d tb combat. It's not my usual cup o' joe, but a dozen hours of a decent crawl is all I expect for 2 bones.

That's one view, certainly. I refer you to my version. You can't break new ground and expect it to be an orderly process. Hence planning gets a might tricksy.

Troika did a lot of things right in their CRPGs but breaking new ground wasn't one of them. They only thing they broke was their games by allowing ambitious design to get in the way of planning, playtesting and meeting deadlines. And I'm as close to a rational and fair Troika fanboy as you can get.

Crunch time for short periods can be very productive... that's at least what I experience. I feel I often become most creative when I'm under time pressure... but don't overdo it, you you may turn into a zombie. Just look at EA.

Pressure is needed and healthy, in correct proportions, otherwise there isn't any requirement to actually complete anything.

Interestingly, I just read Philip K. Dιck's transcript interview; he used to write his novels in a self-imposed "crunch": he would barely eat, nor sleep as he sat and typed for a week or so, sipping scotch. That was how he wrote his last novel, The transmigration of Timothy Archer (which, incidentally, was not SF), and indubitably led to his fatal stroke. (He observed that he was bleeding internally as he finished the novel, because

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

My view on Troika was that they didn't "break ground", per se, but Troika's games from a RP standpoint, particularly Bloodlines, were pretty sterling in comparison to games that were being put out by other companies. Had they balanced the game better, I think Arcanum could have been as good as F2, and some of the plotlines (particularly the siamese twin quest) were just jaw-dropping. I blissfully ignore ToEE (couldn't get through an hour) I started out being revolted by Bloodlines' stunning lack of technical sheen, but as I kept playing it I realized how high-quality it was. I'd probably recommend it over any other RPG I've played post-BG2.

Troika didn't make perfect games, but their existence was a comforting one, what with their lofty ambitions and whatnot that they could occasionally deliver on.

Edited by Pop

Not going to bother with the article.

This is like the fourth fanboy post-mortem, right? There's bound to be a wealth of interesting and poignant article subjects amidst the crpg biz. No need to wage fanboyism in a media that at least tries to remain borderline neutral in their opinions.

For shame, Escapist. For shame.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Article and Troika foudners: 'WAAAA! Publishers are evil, evil, evil! It's their fault we screwed up! WAAAAAA!!!!"

What's funny is that, overall, I like Troika. I enjoyed 2 out of their 3 games, afterall, to various degrees. Even TOEE though I hate it had some strong points to it.

Still, Troika's failure is 100% theirs. Period.

P.S. EA is awesome. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.