Firefly MMORPG

astr0creep

It's an interesting concept that will more than likely be carried out in a disastrous manner. I don't know who Multiverse is, but a MMO is about the most difficult type of game to create and I don't think it's very promising to hear former Netscape employees are behind it. I'm not saying they don't have talent, I'm just failing to see the similarities.

There is room for a decent futuristic MMO on the market, and the western theme could be awesome. The SW Galaxies group needs a home, and Eve Online is cool but not as appealing to the casual gamer. But it's pretty unlikely that this will be it. I smell another Matrix Online.

On the other hand they may feel slightly angered by the fact that this all but ends any hope of there ever being a second Firefly series, with Wheadon (Firefly director) stating he would never work with FOX again. If the MMO is a success then FOX will not let go of the franchise lightly.

My highlights. When the MMORPG fails dismally, then Fox will be more than eager to sell the rights to anyone.

And then there will be a new series. :sorcerer:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

My highlights. When the MMORPG fails dismally, then Fox will be more than eager to sell the rights to anyone.

And then there will be a new series. :lol:

So what you're saying is that fans should stay as far away from anything Firefly as possible? Stop buying DVDs etc, until Fox sells the license?

Good thing I'm not a MMORPG fan then, I'm not sure I could have stayed away otherwise.

:lol:

I think the complete failure of the MMO, as well as Wheadon's militancy, will convince Fox to cut their losses (Universal produced the film), so there isn't any need to avoid the other Fox products. :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't even know that series, and with anyone else who isn't into that, I guess less people will be interested in the MMO.

You are like missing out on the best sci-fi series since Lexx :)

Should you ever get a chance to watch a few episodes, do you self a favour and spend the time doing so :blink:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I hate MMORPGs. Why couldn't they just make a nice single player CRPG using the PnP rules system?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I don't even know that series, and with anyone else who isn't into that, I guess less people will be interested in the MMO.

Should you ever get a chance to watch a few episodes, do you self a favour and spend the time doing so :blink:

Atleast I know Lexx, it was on the german television (Vox) some years ago near midnight. ^_^

IB1OsQq.png

You are like missing out on the best sci-fi series since Lexx :lol:

Well... As fantastic as Firefly was (and it was), it doesn't even begin to measure up against (the new) Battlestar Galactica.

(although I suppose since BSG came out after Firefly, what you're sating is technically true, it's just that even better has appeard since :aiee:)

But even so, Firefly and Serenity (the movie sequel) are well worth watching. Great setting, great acting, interesting story and well developed and believable characters.

Given that interplanetary travel never struck me as a speedy affair in Firefly though I wonder how they're going to deal with that.

Seems like making MMORPGs out of Sci Fi TV shows is all the rage these days, with Stargate Worlds also in developments. Wonder when Star Trek will show up.

Well... As fantastic as Firefly was (and it was), it doesn't even begin to measure up against (the new) Battlestar Galactica.

(although I suppose since BSG came out after Firefly, what you're sating is technically true, it's just that even better has appeard since :lol:)

I never got around to watch the new BSG series :aiee:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Find a way. Sell a kidney if you have to. It's definitely worth it, it's really that good.

I wonder if a BSG MMORPG (although I can't for the life of me see how it'd work) will show up soon. Or a Babylon 5, now that they're going to make direct-to-dvd movies out of it.

Edited by Spider

There's a Stargate game in the works? >_<

While a game based in Firefly's universe might be interesting, I think I'll just wait for Spore - hopefully the ultimate SP game w/MMORPG aspects.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There is

http://www.stargateworlds.com/ for anyone that is interested. I personally think it's a great setting for a MMORPG and if I were into that genre I'd probably be checking it out. But alas, I'm not.

It's a bit funny that they announce SGW and then cancel SG-1 (although it was Sci Fi who cancelled the show, not MGM who owns the franchise)

Firefly was lame, it was slightly more evovled than Buffy or Angel but you could still see where it was comming from. Cowboys in space? Mmm... It also had a really atrocious theme.

And the market for MMO's is already oversaturated. The number of payers/consumers is pretty much fixed and unless you can make both the best MMO and the greatest PR hype in the history of mankind, people will keep playing WoW and ignore everything else. Also 99% of MMO players do not play more than one MMO at the same time so you have to literally knock the opposition off the market

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I don't know if putting a game in the Firefly universe is enough to make it a "Firefly" game. Firefly, unlike say Star Wars was really about the characters. SUre, there was that neo-American west feel to it, but it was the characters that made the universe interesting, not the other way around.

Star Wars, otoh, can get away with simply having a "star wars universe" filled with different and unknown characters. I don't know if a firefly game can.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

(although I suppose since BSG came out after Firefly, what you're sating is technically true, it's just that even better has appeard since :))

But even so, Firefly and Serenity (the movie sequel) are well worth watching. Great setting, great acting, interesting story and well developed and believable characters.

Given that interplanetary travel never struck me as a speedy affair in Firefly though I wonder how they're going to deal with that.

Seems like making MMORPGs out of Sci Fi TV shows is all the rage these days, with Stargate Worlds also in developments. Wonder when Star Trek will show up.

There actually is a Star Trek MMORPG in the works already, and it has been in the works for some time now (IIRC). It sounds quite interesting and could well turn out to be so - if they can pull it off properly.

But yeah, on topic: Firefly MMORPG? :o