Police: Baby Might Have Been Microwaved

Gfted1

Nov 28, 12:47 PM (ET)

By JAMES HANNAH

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) - An infant girl who died in August 2005 of a high body temperature might have been put in a microwave, and her mother has been charged in the death, authorities said Tuesday.

China Arnold, 26, was arrested at her home Monday on a charge of aggravated murder, more than a year after she brought her dead month-old baby to a hospital, police said.

"We have reason to believe and scientific evidence to support that a microwave oven might have been involved in the death of this child," said Ken Betz, director of the Montgomery County coroner's office.

At the time, Paris Talley's death was ruled a homicide caused by hyperthermia, or high body temperature, because of burns. Arnold was arrested initially, then released.

Betz said the case was difficult because "there is not a lot of scientific research and data on the effect of microwaves on human beings."

There was a lengthy investigation before prosecutors found enough probable cause to issue another arrest warrant, said Greg Flannagan, a spokesman for the county prosecutor's office.

Arnold's lawyer, Jon Paul Rion, said his client had nothing to do with her child's death and was stunned when investigators told her that a microwave might have been involved.

"China - as a mother and a person - was horrified that such an act could occur," Rion said.

The night before the baby was taken to the hospital, Arnold and the child's father went out for a short time and left Paris with a baby sitter, Rion said.

The mother didn't sense anything out of the ordinary until the next morning, when the child was found unconscious, Rion said.

Rion declined to say what the couple told hospital officials at the time.

Arnold, who has three other children, was being held in the Montgomery County jail and plans to plead not guilty, Rion said.

In 2000, a Virginia woman was sentenced to five years in prison for killing her month-old son in a microwave oven.

Elizabeth Renee Otte claimed she had no memory of cramming her son in the microwave and turning on the appliance in 1999. Experts said Otte suffered from epilepsy and that her seizures were followed by blackouts.

My god, what kind of f-ing monster do you have to be to be able to do that? Can you imagine the agony that poor child must have gone through before the merciful release of death? Too bad our death penalty choices dont include "roasted over an open fire".

Don't need many studies for the obvious. People learn this stuff in tech school. Microwaves cook from the inside out, though surface burns may appear due to the pattern of waves traveling around in the cooking chamber. The infant's high temperature reflected that fact. A convection oven may have raised his temperature a little bit, but most of the damage would have been external. The body regulates temperature quite well so in order to be raised to a deadly level, heat would have to be generated internally. Microwaves certainly do that, and quickly.

Radar also uses microwaves, which is why it can be lethal (and stupid) to place yourself in front of the transmitter while it's energized. This is mostly a concern on navy ships and land based installations; police radar is very weak in comparison.

Edit: Wikipedia has more detailed info, especially under the Uses heading: Microwaves

Edited by Wistrik

I really wish I had read this after I finished this chinese food I re-heated in the microwave. :o

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

wait.. could it have been the babysitter? With the Microwave... in the kitchen... while col. Mustard watched?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

:wub:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Sometimes seizures can cause altered personality. Especially if the frontal lobe has recieved significant damage, although it is pretty rare.

It doesn't matter at all.

She should be taken behind sauna and executed. Brutally.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Am I a sick bastard since I found the thread title insanely hilarious?

Of course the act is horrible, but some things you can't face with anything but humour. Some tragedies must be laughed at, to withstand them.

And you gotta admit, the "other white meat" joke has never gotten old. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Guest The Architect

Why the f*ck would you put your own baby daughter in a bloody microwave for? Twisted bitch! Is she getting executed? She should be. She should get a slow, painful death. She should burn. What goes around, comes around.

Edited by The Architect

I don't think that you should excecute sick people. It'll just "come around".

And you probably shouldn't post when angry. *is hypocrite*

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Gifty... two things...

What's the source/s?

other thing was me trying to find the article, but instead found several sites about the urban legend of a teenaged babysitter who (while tripping on LSD) put the baby she was sitting in the Nuker and killed it.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Guest The Architect
I don't think that you should excecute sick people. It'll just "come around".

And you probably shouldn't post when angry. *is hypocrite*

I disagree. Sick or not, you should be executed for taking away an innocent baby's life in such a gruesome manner IMO.

It's hard not to be angry when you hear stuff like this, that's why my post had that negative vibe to it, but yes, I see your point that you shouldn't really post when you're angry, but I did. Meh, oh well.

I'm guessing whoever did this is severely disturbed. Post natal depression can make women do some extreme things.

True. My gut instinct tells me that China was responsible. She is probably :crazy:

Edited by The Architect