What are you playing now?

Darque

Yes. I'm probably the only FPS player who likes to explore areas rather than run through them at light speed, so as usual I'm the only one to notice the trigger-controlled endless spawns. Next time you're there, stay on the floor and shoot headcrabs. Pretty soon the pattern of spawning will appear. One from the corner of a building, another from some other dark corner, etc. Until you leave the area, they keep coming.

Err, I didn't exactly zip through the level.

Though I shot them all from the catwalks before going down.

It may be a scripted trigger that causes them to respawn until you leave the area. In my case I was on the floor/ground and no matter where I went they would respawn from two or three fixed locations and come charging at me. I even stood there and killed a hundred or more just to see if they'd stop after awhile. Nope. They finally seemed to stop spawning when I left the floor and was about to cross over the chainlink fence/boundary blocking the way to the exit.

The same thing happens with cops and soldiers in different places. They spawn like crazy until you move to a different zone, though the zone's boundaries are usually always invisible or non-obvious.

I know it's a vehicle used to give the illusion of greater numbers than would be feasible for performance reasons, but I don't like it because it's not realistic. At least the original HL had a reason for spawning repeatedly (troop ships/warping in from Xen) with accompanying events. In HL2 they just appear out of thin air.

I killed almost all of them from the gangway above, but then when you go to cross the wire fence, I think that's the spawn trigger, there ... I have stood on the other side of the fence and unloaded all my weapons and they were still coming, so yeah, I'd agree. Though by the time you've made it to the other side of the fence there is no reason to stick around, lest one of the little buggers sneaks through the fence and Gordon's perimeter of fire to bite him on the bum.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I finally got my video card upgrade, and am now playing Oblivion.  I... unlike some others, apparently... am really enjoying it.  I daresay there are parts of it I actually love!  Maybe I'm just easily amused. :blink:

Oblivion is fab! It has its problems, but the good things it does makes up, way way way up, for those. I've been playing it pretty consistently for almost what nine months now? I think the expansion is going to be pretty good too from what additional info I've read since the original word got out.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Oblivion is a gurl's game! :blink:

*dropkicks meta*

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

:)

I suck at dropkicking.

Oblivion is a gurl's game! :p

Lucky for you there isn't a multi-player version of the oh-so-manly game of Jagged Alliance, 'cause this gurl could kick your little boy bottom before you could pull your pistol out of your pants... er... so to speak! :)

I feel a little violated ..! :mellow:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

X-Com2: Terror from the deep

Grrr!... I had forgotten how much I hate lobster men. And I can't field any guys with sufficient psi powers yet to force them to fight against each other. USA and Japan has withdrawn from the project and I'm threatened with bankruptcy if I don't bring my debt below 2 million before next month. This game really does seem harder than the first one.

(xcom apocalypse is still my favourite though)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

X-Com2: Terror from the deep

Grrr!... I had forgotten how much I hate lobster men. And I can't field any guys with sufficient psi powers yet to force them to fight against each other. USA and Japan has withdrawn from the project and I'm threatened with bankruptcy if I don't bring my debt below 2 million before next month. This game really does seem harder than the first one.

(xcom apocalypse is still my favourite though)

I haven't beaten the first x-com yet. I can't stand the night missions. I always lose fairly early because the terror missions always seem to occur just as night hits. :)

I haven't beaten the first x-com yet. I can't stand the night missions. I always lose fairly early because the terror missions always seem to occur just as night hits. :)

It's a pain, yes :mellow:

But usually, equipping the first guys out of the plane with a flare or two helps. Throw the in a pattern around your insertion area to light up the place and then move the rest of your team out, hugging whatever cover you can find. I've tried to use motion trackers, but in the end, I just team up my men in pairs or trios and clear out an area at a time.

Edit: If in doubt, throw handgrenades over a few rooftops and through windows first. The odd civilian casualty is inconsequential.

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's a pain, yes :)

But usually, equipping the first guys out of the plane with a flare or two helps. Throw the in a pattern around your insertion area to light up the place and then move the rest of your team out, hugging whatever cover you can find. I've tried to use motion trackers, but in the end, I just team up my men in pairs or trios and clear out an area at a time.

Edit: If in doubt, throw handgrenades over a few rooftops and through windows first. The odd civilian casualty is inconsequential.

The last terror mission I tried I moved my first soldier to the top of the ramp and before he could do anything there was a grenade inside my ship. That was a horrible, horrible mission. :mellow:

It's a pain, yes :mellow:

The last terror mission I tried I moved my first soldier to the top of the ramp and before he could do anything there was a grenade inside my ship. That was a horrible, horrible mission. :p

:)

It happens on occasion. The real fun starts once you get the "blast" thing with programmable flight patterns. You can literally level the entire area with the ground and remove any walls they might be hiding behind. It is also nice for making new entrancens in alien UFO's if there isn't enough doors already.

Ah, the days of guided missiles in Xcom. The island terror missions in 2 were awesome because you always had a few buildings burning down the entire mission. I remember fighting aliens in the upper floors and then having to jump out before I passed out from the smoke. I also remember being able to pick up unconcious guys and carry them out of the burning houses, which was ultra cool.

Still playing Vanguard, I've basically run through every starter area and decided on a couple possibilities for retail characters. Did I mention you can build, own, and sail your own boats in this game? They look awesome too, tons of variety in them.

I'm waiting for Hotel Dusk to come out on the DS next week.

Point & Click adventure game with awesome artstyle. The preliminary reviews have been very positive so far. Any fan of the genre with a DS should at least look it up.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

It may be a scripted trigger that causes them to respawn until you leave the area. In my case I was on the floor/ground and no matter where I went they would respawn from two or three fixed locations and come charging at me. I even stood there and killed a hundred or more just to see if they'd stop after awhile. Nope. They finally seemed to stop spawning when I left the floor and was about to cross over the chainlink fence/boundary blocking the way to the exit.

The same thing happens with cops and soldiers in different places. They spawn like crazy until you move to a different zone, though the zone's boundaries are usually always invisible or non-obvious.

I know it's a vehicle used to give the illusion of greater numbers than would be feasible for performance reasons, but I don't like it because it's not realistic. At least the original HL had a reason for spawning repeatedly (troop ships/warping in from Xen) with accompanying events. In HL2 they just appear out of thin air.

I killed almost all of them from the gangway above, but then when you go to cross the wire fence, I think that's the spawn trigger, there ... I have stood on the other side of the fence and unloaded all my weapons and they were still coming, so yeah, I'd agree. Though by the time you've made it to the other side of the fence there is no reason to stick around, lest one of the little buggers sneaks through the fence and Gordon's perimeter of fire to bite him on the bum.

Did some testing just now. I only had the fast headcrabs spawn from one location for me and that was right about where the targeting cursor is here:

d1town0400029pz.th.jpg

Didn't last forever. I had the rollermine with me which distracted them a little. I sat at the top of the catwalk by the fence and whacked them with the crowbar everytime they tried to jump at me. The next picture shows the collection of headcrab corpses that I left behind.

d1town0400030pb.th.jpg

The second picture was taken after the constant stream of them stopped coming at me. After that happened I walked down the stairs and wandered around the area for a little bit. I was only attacked by one headcrab at this point. It was a poison one that was hiding behind some tanks. Didn't notice it until after it had jumped at me. Thankfully nothing else showed up at that moment. :)

Maybe the unlimited spawn depends on the difficulty level? I was only playing through on easy. :ermm: