Planescape Torment : MMO?

Lithium_Grey

Read this and STFU. (no offense meant)
Just FYI: Telling someone to 'shut the frak up' is not the best way to get them to read what you post, and is a sure fire way to get added to an ignore list.

No offense meant, my eye. <_<

[/i]

Do you imply that I was harsh? ok, I apologize then... :ph34r:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I think Planescape would be an awesome setting for an MMO. I think Planescape Torment would make an awful MMO.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ok, tbh I think the people here have just skipped forward to the No and haven't said why. I think its a great idea but would be nearly impossible to make it work.

1. Its an old license , . If theres no Faerun / forgotten realms MMORPG I doubt there would be a planescape rpg.Not enough consumer interest. Wouldn't be much fun if only you and I played it.

2. Not enough market data to make it viable, this is linked to the first one. I would say its at least 10 years from even the slightest chance of happening, and thats assuming PST gets picked up by WoTC, some books come out. Make that 15 years...

3. The magic of PS:T was the story and dialogue, granted the setting was awesome, but once you take away the Torment you're just left with the setting. Once you add leetness to the setting you lose even more. Though I agree with the fact that there hasn't been an mmorg that has captured the Urban feel yet.

4. The people who liked PST would probably rather see a HUGE rpg than an mmorg.

5. Since faerun has apparent been seperated from planescape, part of the appeal of visiting faerun is taken out.

But now i won't be negative, i'd love to play it , I just won't get my hopes up.

"Seriously though let it die, Planescape, like Jefferson, is dead. It won't be coming back anytime soon."

QFT

That was the most stupid comment I ever read. Have you read any of Sawyer's most recent posts?

The worst thing is that you registered just to say this...

Edited by ramza

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

and chicken have teeth

My, how gullible you are! Of course Jeffy is dead in its initial form, I know that! Is it so hard to understand that I am fooling around? gosh...

Edit:Nevermind me, I'd had this topic open for a long time and when it came time to reply, I thought it was just one of ramza's Jeffy-whine topics. Which it is now.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

apparently, getting WOTC to allow an older D&D property to make its way into a video game is something of a problem, or at least there is a perception that this is a major hurdle. the idea is that, a 16-year-old plays a video game in a certain setting and then wants to run out and buy the paper rules for the setting...except, there are none.

anyway, if they do bring back an older property, I think it should be Dragonlance. The Dragonlance campaign with next-gen movies and cinematic cutscenes? that would be sweet.

I would, however, like to see a game based on some sort of journey to the Underworld, but I don't think it has to be D&D based (and the PC does not have to be a corpsified horror!). I would prefer an Ancient Greek setting.

Edit:Nevermind me, I'd had this topic open for a long time and when it came time to reply, I thought it was just one of ramza's Jeffy-whine topics. Which it is now.

ROFLMAO :aiee:

Are ya kidding me? I didnt even mention Jefferson in the first place!

This is the dumbest idea i ever heard. Turning a story/character driven masterpiece into an empty MMORPG.  :crazy:

From what I remember, Planescape was a setting where phylosophical discourse, the questioning of one's nature and other such matters weighed much more than the standard combat and errand boy antics of other D&D settings (although I'm sure this would vary wildly depending on whatever Dungeon/Game Master was running the game).

To me, it seems that enforcing this perspective would be the best way to rekindle Torment's best elements - to have players mostly advance in the game by rewarding (and in some cases enforcing) actual roleplaying as opposed to mass PMs asking for specific characters in mob hunting jaunts. These could tie in with specific DM-created and run quests, story arcs and could cross over with specific setting elements - plane travelling, factions and so on. Eventually, player actions could also tie into an everchanging major story arc (as it did in the official last days of the setting itself, with PCs siding with the Lady of Pain to end the Faction Wars). Other elements such as combat and questing needn't be necessarily removed, but the twist is to remember gamers of the setting's motto ("Belief if power") and run with it.

Of course, just how many people would sign up for a MMORPG where the core gameplay revolved much around roleplaying as opposed to looking at hot elf boobs and clicking mad at gobs of Vorpal Bunnies of Absurd Experience Amount +45?

"Seriously though let it die, Planescape, like Jefferson, is dead. It won't be coming back anytime soon."

QFT

That was the most stupid comment I ever read. Have you read any of Sawyer's most recent posts?

Actually, I was quoting Demonking... just scroll up a it.

Whatever floats your boat mang.

Btw. its just a game,

(one that is old dead and buried)

chillout.

:aiee:

Edited by three of any kind

• 2 weeks later...
apparently, getting WOTC to allow an older D&D property to make its way into a video game is something of a problem, or at least there is a perception that this is a major hurdle.  the idea is that, a 16-year-old plays a video game in a certain setting and then wants to run out and buy the paper rules for the setting...except, there are none.

anyway, if they do bring back an older property, I think it should be Dragonlance.  The Dragonlance campaign with next-gen movies and cinematic cutscenes?  that would be sweet.

I would, however, like to see a game based on some sort of journey to the Underworld, but I don't think it has to be D&D based (and the PC does not have to be a corpsified horror!).  I would prefer an Ancient Greek setting.

Re: Underworld -- supposedly Gods & Heroes (set in ancient Rome) takes you to Hades -- so there you go.

Re: WotC -- I know very little about WotC/Hasbro but I think all Hasbro IP is handled by a specific group that is not WotC. I'm sure if money was on the table a deal would happen whether or not Planescape is an active setting or not.

Re: Topic -- I loved PS:T (and am actually replaying it right now) and think a Planescape based MMO would be amazing if done right and would totally suck if done poorly -- just like every other game ever made. I really can't fathom the negativity by posters on this thread to a hypothetical game.

Planescape remains my favorite D&D setting and it'd be great to see any type of CRPG (solo, multiplayer or massively-multiplayer) set there.

Indeed if the upcoming Planescape mods get good reviews I'll buy NWN2

• 2 weeks later...

Planescape Torment does have a legion of fans. It is at least considered for some a respectfull title.

Every since obsidian was found, it is mentioned as the "former creators of Planescape Torment, Fallout and stuff" so it does give them credit.

And most of all they didnt have to reference anything related to planescape in NW2. No one was expecting it. It wasn't needed fot the game to be good, and they added it anyway. I don't know, maybe to see how people would react? Or maybe I'm just hoping too much.

Anything that might come in this universe would be awesome, mmorpg (that doesn't suck) or a kick ass single player game with or without the nameless one. Maybe with fall from grace as main char as someone already suggested.

ps: sorry for my english.

What I would like to see is WotC bring back the Planescape Campaign setting in full 3.5e glory and have a solidly built CRPG for single player campaign on the scope of Torment using modern game engines, especially one that allows full movement unlike NWN2.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

• 1 month later...

*Casts Resurrect Thread*

I know I started this mess a couple of months ago, and I know that there are a lot of people who completely disapprove of the concept. In retrospect, I shouldn't have used Torment as a reference point. It seems to have polarized everyone. While PST is a solid game, I agree that it's done. There shouldn't be an attempt to recreate that experience.

To explain further about what I was originally talking about:

Sigil, the City of Doors, is the hub of the D&D world. We all know this. There can be a lot of quests / missions just within the city proper. However, since it is the City of Doors, players would be able to visit both the inner and outer planes... not to mention the Outlands.

In the morning, you could visit the Astral and fight off Githyanki. At noon, you could go to Elysium and run messages for some good money. Then in the evening, you can dive into one of the many planes of the Abyss and fight demons. Then you can come 'home' to Sigil and revel in the sights and sounds. I don't think there's another place where you could look up and see someone else look up back at you.

As time goes on, they can expand the game by opening a portal into a new plane.

Call me insane or stupid if you want, but there is a niche here that needs to be exploited IMO.