Planescape Torment : MMO?

Lithium_Grey

I didn't say large game world but large gaming environs.  There are a lot of various environments in DDO that one can visit and adventure through.

Ok, I understood that there was no core world, but instances.

Nope. It is a MMORPG.

Yeah, if it is, then the next one is one too:

Name one that has been commercially released.

Diablo 2.

If it is pointless, Muso, why did you even bother to reply?

Lack of forethought, and your replies are often fun.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Not to mention that a lot of mmorpgs have servers that won't fit into your category, since they are run by fans, can have anything from 2 to 10 000 players and can be free to use.

Name one that has been commercially released.

What is Guild Wars with your definition? A MUD?

Nope. It is a MMORPG.

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand types. :)

Of course, you don't base any of your discussion(ergo arguments) to logic, so this is kinda pointless.

If it is pointless, Muso, why did you even bother to reply?

Because otherwise you (and possibly some newer members) will think that your "final word" is the correct one.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Diablo 2.

Nope. That game can be played offline while a MMORPG doesn't have that option, hence the Online in Massive Multiplayer ONLINE Role Playing Game in the genre title.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

You can keep trying to use semantics to reclassify "MMORPG" as "A Multiplayer Online Game that I Don't Like" for all I care, but the original comment I made was:

Its a MMORPG.  Its naturally crappy.

Because there will never be any game that is massively multiplayer that is any good. :)

In other words, you are making a swingeing generalisation based on your own opinion, and trying to assert that it is reality.

And you fail.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hardly a failure, Meta. I only stated my own personal opinion. I assert nothing. If you interpret that I did that is your problem and not mine.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Diablo 2.

Nope. That game can be played offline while a MMORPG doesn't have that option, hence the Online in Massive Multiplayer ONLINE Role Playing Game in the genre title.

Guild Wars is what then? :))

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

A MMORPG, Muso.

Hardly a failure, Meta.  I only stated my own personal opinion.  I assert nothing.  If you interpret that I did that is your problem and not mine.

The problem is, Sand, that you parade your opinion around like it is some authority on the/any subject. Which it clearly is not. ^_^

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

My opinion is my opinion, no more and no less. I let others decide its level of authority.

Edited by Sand

Guild Wars is really not a MMORPG. It's a large visually stunning chat room where you meet people and go off on small instanced adventures. The key difference is that when you are out killing stuff or exploring dungeons, there is no chance that you will run into other players doing the same thing. This may seem minor, but the best groups I've ever had have come from people I met while killing stuff in the wilderness. It just tends to create a stronger bond when you are watching a player struggle with the same creatures, and you decide to team up. Of course, that's my opinion of MMO, but it's a rather vague term that too many games use.

I also don't see Dungeons & Dragons Online as a MMO, even though they have a monthly fee.

Re: Hades

I think the issue is that you don't seem to be content in other people's differing opinions on a subject, and seem very intent on reminding the forum community, time and time again, about how you disagree.

The rebuttals against you are no more malicious than your rebuttals against them. If you want others to decide on the level of authority of your opinions, then people critiquing your opinions should not bother you. Furthermore, if you aren't actively trying to impose your views, the need to reiterate your opinions on subjects already beaten to death would not be necessary.

If you feel it prudent to state for the nth time what you feel about game X, often times in disagreement of someone else's opinion on the subject, then you open yourself up to the continued criticisms.

On a final note, another large issue, is that you like to manipulate and perceive things in your own way in order to not warp the fabric of your reality. Instead of adjusting your own perceptions of reality in the face of new information, you try to adjust the new information so that it conveniently fits into your perception of reality. As a result, you start with bizarre classifications and stereotyping, in order to make your previous opinions not hold up. It's exceptionally unscientific, and why so many responses to you include references to the confirmation bias.

For example, you state straight up that it's impossible for an MMO game to be fun, by virtue of the fact that they are MMO games. So when someone brings up the persistent worlds of Neverwinter Nights, which offer a game experience exceptionally similar to a typical MMO game (especially a smaller scale one), you try to make a distinction that one is an MMO, and the other is a PW, and as such this classification involves fundamental differences between the two. You've tried explaining yourself based on a set of classifications such as cost (which is ruled out because of Guild Wars), scale (which is ruled out because the originator of MMORPGs, ironically also titled Neverwinter Nights, was also small scale), as well, in my opinion the biggest stretch, the idea of it being having to be made by professionals.

Edited by alanschu

based on a set of classifications such as cost (which is ruled out because of Guild Wars)

...and most of the time charge a monthly fee for their services.

I said most of them charge a fee, not all charge a fee, thusly taking Guild Wars in account.

:lol: