Planescape Torment : MMO?

Lithium_Grey

^I think there's a niche alright; but given that I believe there is already a D&D MMORPG (or one planned) I doubt that the makers of that would allow the competition of another D&D set MMORPG.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

^I think there's a niche alright; but given that I believe there is already a D&D MMORPG (or one planned) I doubt that the makers of that would allow the competition of another D&D set MMORPG.

Eberron: Stormreach

It's already out.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

This is the dumbest idea i ever heard. Turning a story/character driven masterpiece into an empty MMORPG.  :crazy:

From what I remember, Planescape was a setting where phylosophical discourse, the questioning of one's nature and other such matters weighed much more than the standard combat and errand boy antics of other D&D settings (although I'm sure this would vary wildly depending on whatever Dungeon/Game Master was running the game).

To me, it seems that enforcing this perspective would be the best way to rekindle Torment's best elements - to have players mostly advance in the game by rewarding (and in some cases enforcing) actual roleplaying as opposed to mass PMs asking for specific characters in mob hunting jaunts. These could tie in with specific DM-created and run quests, story arcs and could cross over with specific setting elements - plane travelling, factions and so on. Eventually, player actions could also tie into an everchanging major story arc (as it did in the official last days of the setting itself, with PCs siding with the Lady of Pain to end the Faction Wars). Other elements such as combat and questing needn't be necessarily removed, but the twist is to remember gamers of the setting's motto ("Belief if power") and run with it.

Of course, just how many people would sign up for a MMORPG where the core gameplay revolved much around roleplaying as opposed to looking at hot elf boobs and clicking mad at gobs of Vorpal Bunnies of Absurd Experience Amount +45?

Walsingham 'actually thinking' gold award 2007.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Eberron: Stormreach

It's already out.

I thought it was, but I decided to hedge my bets a bit to be on the safe side as I don't really pay a lot of attention to MMORPGs.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Its a MMORPG. Its naturally crappy.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I haven't played one yet that I consider good. Played UO, EQ, EQ2, AO, SWG, Guildwars, DDO, tried out WoW, played the VC beta (a friend downloaded it for some odd reason so I gave it a go), and so on. When a MMORPG that I like is made I expect it to be a tad bit chilly in Satan's home.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I haven't played one yet that I consider good.  Played UO, EQ, EQ2, AO, SWG, Guildwars, DDO, tried out WoW, played the VC beta (a friend downloaded it for some odd reason so I gave it a go), and so on.  When a MMORPG that I like is made I expect it to be a tad bit chilly in Satan's home.

NwN

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The current version of NWN isn't a MMORPG.

Edited by Sand

Those are PWs, not MMORPGs.

Nope. They are MMORPGs.

PWs are smaller scale, usually no more than a 100 players, run by a fanbase, and do not charge money for their work to play on.

MMORPGs are large scale gaming environs, set up and maintained by professionals, and often have a player base in the thousands if not more and most of the time charge a monthly fee for their services.

Edited by Sand

Nope.  They are MMORPGs.

PWs are smaller scale, usually no more than a 100 players, run by a fanbase, and do not charge money for their work to play on.

MMORPGs are large scale gaming environs, set up and maintained by professionals, and often have a player base in the thousands if not more and most of the time charge a monthly fee for their services.

Let's test your definiton. What about Stormreach? It doesn't have a huge world, right? What is Guild Wars with your definition? A MUD? Not to mention that a lot of mmorpgs have servers that won't fit into your category, since they are run by fans, can have anything from 2 to 10 000 players and can be free to use.

Of course, you don't base any of your discussion(ergo arguments) to logic, so this is kinda pointless.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think PST is an excellent basis for a MMOG, but I also think the whole concept of MMOGs needs to be rethinked. Less focus on virtual coin and munchkin gear, no incentive for mindless grinding and running through missions and areas. It should be about cooperative and competative gaming. Full stop.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Let's test your definiton. What about Stormreach? It doesn't have a huge world, right?

I didn't say large game world but large gaming environs. There are a lot of various environments in DDO that one can visit and adventure through.

What is Guild Wars with your definition? A MUD?

Nope. It is a MMORPG.

Not to mention that a lot of mmorpgs have servers that won't fit into your category, since they are run by fans, can have anything from 2 to 10 000 players and can be free to use.

Name one that has been commercially released.

Of course, you don't base any of your discussion(ergo arguments) to logic, so this is kinda pointless.

If it is pointless, Muso, why did you even bother to reply?

Edited by Sand