Volourn's Wowwy Journey With NWN2:Spoiler Edition

Volourn

"It adds amusing cutscenes, "

Can alreayd have these with the joinables you choose to ahve in your party.

"enables NPC-dependent plot twists"

Alreayd have these.

", and allows the convenience of automatically collecting all possible NPCs at your base."

A convience that one shouldn't be needed.

Check out both PST and BG2 (DEAD GAMES LOL) for examples of how you can have deep, interesting joinable npcs that have a part to play in the story without being wholy forced on you.

=]

korm: Did the gobs go hostile though? I think that's what Takls is complaining about.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This thread makes me want to play NWN2 so bad. *cries* My computer can't handle it, and it's not looking like I'll ever get that computer upgrade. I'd feel ever so much better about my pitiful lot in life if NWN2 was a dud, but obviously it's not.

*cries more*

"It adds amusing cutscenes, "

Can alreayd have these with the joinables you choose to ahve in your party.

"enables NPC-dependent plot twists"

Alreayd have these.

", and allows the convenience of automatically collecting all possible NPCs at your base."

A convience that one shouldn't be needed.

Check out both PST and BG2 (DEAD GAMES LOL) for examples of how you can have deep, interesting joinable npcs that have a part to play in the story without being wholy forced on you.

=]

You couldn't have the insult match between khelgar, neeshka and qara without all three associated with you. Unless you expect them to program n! cutscenes to cover all possible configurations, your options are limited by definiton. And I liked playing a good player and having to deal with Ammon Jerro's issues, which I would have missed if I'd been allowed to kick him out of my party.

OK, let's check out BG2--an incredibly nice plot twist with Yoshimo in the party. But, since it wasn't required, they have to cover for his possible absence with a complete kloodge that made me roll my eyes. And, if you didn't take him it screwed up your party configuration since you didn't have a spot for Imoen. That sequence would have been better if the designers could have been sure that Yoshimo was in your party.

Yes, there are ways to keep the game moving without required henchmen. But they are not as clean or entertaining, so there's a real benefit. It's a trade-off, but since for the most part "forced" companions means no more than "they stay at the same inn as you", I think it's worth it.

korm: Did the gobs go hostile though? I think that's what Takls is complaining about.

I thought all the talk about see invisibility meant people were having trouble getting by them.

If it's just going red people object to, I'm missing the problem then. You don't kill any of them, which is what I was trying to avoid. They're theoretically mad at you, but don't attack you and you'll never see them again? Is it a vanity thing, you want them still to like you even though you decided to steal their only precious posession?

Edited by kormesios

If you have good dialog skills, you can sneak up to Duskwood first, find the dryad (Lissa I think), and pretend to be Lorne. She had previously disguised him as you, so she may think you're him. She'll want the glowstone and will disguise your party so you can take the glowstone without repercussion.

If you give her the glowstone she'll disappear. If you refuse she'll attack. If you have Elanee in your group, the animals that are with the dryad will not attack you. It is better for the plot if you don't give her the glowstone.

Edit: cleaned up the post.

Edited by Wistrik

What are you talking about?  I stole it no problem.  My stealthed ranger with an elven cloak walked up, took it, and walked out.  No death, no combat, no fleeing.

was your whole party standing there, or off to the side somewhere? they keep "finding" my stealthed rogue. as a matter of fact, creatures find even my invisible characters.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Agreed. It was easier to sneak about in NWN.

When I'm trying to be sneaky, which fails more often than not, I usually broadcast to my party to "Stand your Ground" so they won't follow me. The AI is stupid enough that they'll run right over discovered traps, cast fireballs into the middle of a melee, and so on. I expected better from a game so much more advanced than BG2.

Edit: another point, in NWN my character would perform the disarm animation until the trap was disarmed. In NWN2, my character stands up less than halfway through the process and promptly engages the enemy if they're nearby, thus canceling the disarm. This AI needs a complete overhaul.

Edited by Wistrik

"This thread makes me want to play NWN2 so bad."

See, folks, this is why a spoiler thread is awesome. Even ina thread like this where I'm pretty negative despite liking the game can get someone to *really* want to play the game.

LONG LIVE SPOILERS!!!!

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!!

well, yes and no.  there is a section, all within one building, where some guards along with the guy you are guarding are added, but you can't control them (other than commands) and they are part of the group battle that ensues.

Actually, at one point in the game you control basically all your party members (with a few exceptions, exactly who depends on stuff). I controlled 7 characters (including my character) but you can probably get as many as nine. Or eight at the very least.

it advances the story. these players are central to the story, for one reason or another, and their presence advances it. i've already mentioned even similar scenarios in movies. aren't certain characters in PS also "forced" on the PC?

LOL, youre comparing movies, where you watch a story unfold, with RPGS, where you are supposed to create your own story by playing a role.

You must be joking.

LOL you can't read. i'm not comparing movies to rpgs. i'm merely pointing out that forced companions are common-place in a variety of story-telling forms. movies are one, so are a vast quantity of video games.

taks

LOL you can't read.  i'm not comparing movies to rpgs.  i'm merely pointing out that forced companions are common-place in a variety of story-telling forms.  movies are one, so are a vast quantity of video games.

taks

In movies companions are not forced on YOU! In NWN2, companions are forced on you. Bringing up movies is completely pointless.

Roshan WINS and CRUSHES poor little Taks. Espicially since game devs have repeated stated that game writing and other forms of writing are DIFFERENT. The main difference between them is obvious - giving the player as much control as possible. This is espicially true in RPGs.

Game over.

My journey so far.

West Harbor was a good tutorial to start the game off in. It was quick and straight forward way to teach you the basics of the game with the Fair events. My character earned some evil points when the village was being attacked. She didn't like the Mossfeld brothers and decided to slit the throats of two of the brothers.

On my way to Fort Locke I picked up Khelgar a decent fighter and Neeshka, who seems to be a good rogue to have in your party. Did all of the quests in Fort Locke and now I am ready to enter Neverwinter.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Meh, you're already ahead of me. These days I only have about 2 hrs free a day to play, and my game kept bugging out in the crypt, a scene wouldn't trigger. Big immersion killer. Had to use the Force (aka console) to shake it loose, so the quest would progress and finally finish. It was only after that, that I found and installed the newest patch (which probably fixed the rotten thing? dunno). Anyway, once I clear the bandit campe I'll be right there with ya. I think.

UPDATE:

Beetles - WOW! They are looking completely different than their NWN1 counterparts. While graphically better (obviously) I'm not sure which art style I prefer just yet. Interetsing nontheless. Again, why such easy creatures to fight when you gotta know that the PC is gonna be around level 15? I took damage from the traps in the caves (including one trap that did about 30-40, heh); and ZERO from the beetles; not even the stags or elemental damage. Or the spiders for that matter. These enemies need to be reserved for low level adventurers or really boosted. Just say they were mutated somehow.

The Keep Itself - Music here is awesome. Only the music in the Merchnat district macthes it in quality (not referencing NWN1 music as I already judged their quality before).

Combat here was, as usual, rather easy. But, the atmosphere was great.

Story - The story *is* picking up. Though, I'm finally gonna call it as I see it - i thought this wans't a 'Chosen One' story? The stupid Gith girl confirmed it if there was even any doubt left. At least, while the main story is still linear; the keep itself gives some options on what to do.

Commanding the Stronghold - Really like how it's done. Best stronghold ever. Did repeairs to roads, and the courtyard. Rebuild the libary. Got my weapon and armour shop running. Fixed the store; but gonna find a shopkeeper for it. LMAO At the newbie adventurers. Great stuff! The ph@t lewt at the Keep is nuts!! +5 weapons and amrour for merely 8k gp? WOWSERS!!!!

Anyways, Act 2 - outside of the lame trial set up (trial itself was good) - is really, really good!!!!

Edited by Volourn

...damn, I's wishes DVDStars'd git offa theys arses an' ship me LE copy...bastardos... :angry:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

In movies companions are not forced on YOU! In NWN2, companions are forced on you. Bringing up movies is completely pointless.

they are all the time roshan. hell, even lethal weapon was a story about one partner forced on another. are you like, that far out of touch with reality that you don't realize this? your posts are actually completely pointless.

taks

Roshan WINS and CRUSHES poor little Taks. Espicially since game devs have repeated stated that game writing and other forms of writing are DIFFERENT. The main difference between them is obvious - giving the player as much control as possible.

sometimes you're really thick. show me where i ever said they are the same. dang volourn...

taks

"hell, even lethal weapon was a story about one partner forced on another."

It's a movie!!!! There's no role-playing for the viewer. It's not forced on 'you'. It's called acting.

To compare movies to rpgs in this way is beyond SILLY.

You are the one being thick. :crazy:

JRPGs area whole different type of RPG than the kind were discussing. Why do yout hink people around here rag on them? It's because they'

re too controlling, and there's not much actual role-playing. I like them A LOT; but not for the role-playing aspects.

And, Smiley is a very poor exmaple since he's not really a part of your party. You can CHOOSE to help him to safety. It's oen thing to CHOOSE to ahve some in your party to complate a quest or soemthing; it's another for it be forced.

All you have to do is look how yopu get the very first permenant NPC named Khaergar in NWN2. You spot him fighting some thigs. You can choose to help him, help, or ignore it yet NO MATTER WHAT YOU CHOOSE; he ends up joining you anyways. That is BEYOND lame! It's illogical, retarded, and a waste of dialogue.

R00fles!

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Edited by Volourn