Oblivion

Walsingham

Yeah, they definitely cut down on the ability to count dice rolls and use your vast nerd knowledge of D&D to make the game a walk in the park. Too bad, huh?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'll never argue that Oblivion has been reduced from Morrowind which in return was reduced from the insane complexity of Daggerfall. I'll also never argue that the crpg elements of Oblivion are um minimal. At best.

But I love first person games that have character building and big inventories and look good and have a small amount of dialogue to flesh out the world and let you kill things while looking so good. Its my kind of FPS! :(

Yes, its true. I'm so shallow, I'd drown in a wading pool. Ah well. :lol:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yeah, they definitely cut down on the ability to count dice rolls and use your vast nerd knowledge of D&D to make the game a walk in the park. Too bad, huh?

Im an aspiring game developer, I have to know that a STR of 13 will enable you to pick the "Power Attack" feat which leads to "Cleave" :("

But seriously, what I was talking about is the lack of ability to express your character through real dialogue options and to be able to solve quests in multiple ways.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But seriously, what I was talking about is the lack of ability to express your character through real dialogue options and to be able to solve quests in multiple ways.

Yeah, but come on. You CAN whack a bandit with a really big enchanted Claymore and watch them go flying through the air screaming and burning and trailing fire! Totally awesome!

Seriously, back when I was playing Hunt the Wumpus on a DEC PDP/11-34 terminal (or whatever the heck it was, who can remember the 70's anyway?) I never even dreamed that I would one day be able to do what I can do in Oblivion on a computer. Its really amazing. Stuff like flying bandits trailing fire practically gives me goosebumps, it's so unbelievable.

And in a crpg, too.

You can keep your crappy dialogue options! I'll express my elf through my flaming Claymore! :(

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I enjoyed Oblivion for the first playthrough. It's like going back to those McDonalds playgrounds after 15 years and going "Oh wow, this is really cool". Then you come out after one go and never look back.

Don't tell me none of you know what I'm talking about. Eh? Eh?

I enjoyed Oblivion for the first playthrough. It's like going back to those McDonalds playgrounds after 15 years and going "Oh wow, this is really cool". Then you come out after one go and never look back.

Don't tell me none of you know what I'm talking about. Eh? Eh?

You were drunk during your first playthrough?

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I noticed the arrow thing, too. I was like "Ah! I've got an arrow poking out of me! OWOWOWOW!" And started hopping around. I couldn't work out how to get rid of it. Then it just disappeared. <_< I was looking forward to finding some tongs or somesuch.

Thanks for the modlink. Ya gotta love some random guy just up and fixing a big game like this. Will be installing. It says the save games will work so I should be alright now I'm already level 15 and have a bunch of neat kit already.

I have to say that the RPG lightness is very apparent. Frankly it's more like Elite with swords than anything else. This is especially apparent as I'm also playing Vampire Bloodlines, where the story and characters kick senor vorpal kickasso.

Pop: I do know what you mean, but I hate to just say that you can't have non-linearity. I am sure you could have plenty of non-linearity. It just needs some damned inventive thinking. Not rehashing the same old dross.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

When playing Oblivion, I also had trouble getting excited about moving the story forward. At first, the battles were thrilling, but that adrenaline wore out rather quickly. The only real excitement for me came in the arena, and even that wasn't super challenging. There was just a sort of dullness about doing stuff.

I enjoyed the game for about 25 hours, but I just didn't feel any urge to complete it or continue on.

When playing Oblivion, I also had trouble getting excited about moving the story forward.  At first, the battles were thrilling, but that adrenaline wore out rather quickly.  The only real excitement for me came in the arena, and even that wasn't super challenging.  There was just a sort of dullness about doing stuff. 

I enjoyed the game for about 25 hours, but I just didn't feel any urge to complete it or continue on.

Get either Francesco's or Oscuro's mod. It will up the challenge big time, though Francesco's is a little more balanced. No going up against 20th level necromancers at 1st level unlike OOO. :shifty:

Man, I had to use the environment to kill that necromancer in the first ruins in order to win. ;)

With Francesco's mod I faced mages you would actually run back away from melee, summon critters, then used range attacks on me while fighter types and their summons charged in. They were using actual tactics. Of corse I blasted them with a few choice lightning spells. One mage was trying to run and jump across a broken bridge to get away from me but I pegged him right and the back and killed him.

Pop: I do know what you mean, but I hate to just say that you can't have non-linearity. I am sure you could have plenty of non-linearity. It just needs some damned inventive thinking. Not rehashing the same old dross.

Well, yes. The fault in Oblivion really isn't in its non-linearity. Non-linearity can work to great effect, as long as you're willing to pick up some of the slack (case in point: Fallout, which I am a whore for) The fault is in the fact that it's just too safe. "You are the chosen one. Go forth and slay evil!" is not a way to move a game. The entire writing aspect of Oblivion isn't even fantasy-lite. Hell, at least D&D has some nuance to it.

I think it's more people haven't experienced many games that made that have attempted to provide consequences for their actions, as well as a school of thought for game design to not put stuff into the game that many gamers will not see.

Edited by alanschu

WHat are some games that have real consequences? I can't think of any at the moment.

DX2 Invisible War was supposed to be fraught with conseqence but it wasn't. You could kill everyone from either side, and both sides would keep letting you work for them. In on egame I wiped out the entire WTO air terminal and the WTO still loved me. IIRC, the devs defended that lack of consequence as not wanting to force any gamer down a path they might regret later. SO really the only decision of any real conseqence is right at the end where you basically decide which end game plays out.

Did Fallout have consqeucnes? Kinda, as you actions affected what happened in certain areas, but those consequences were pretty immaterial to your actual game, as you really only got to see them after everything was already over.

I think consequences for your choices in games is pretty good, but it doesn't happen very often.

Anyway, to spin this thread back OT, Hades, I installed that mod along with the addon. Its pretty decent, however, OOO makes a lot more sweeping changes to the gameworld and I think I like that better.

WHat I did instead was to redo my OOO install, but I used the OOO Lite esp instead of the OOO full esp. Then I added all the optional modules, EXCEPT the Deadly Combat module ( I also used Borthas 5X skill slower instead). SO now I have OOO with all the benefits but combat is not wound up to the max and my pc starts with her full hit point allotment, which is nice.

The Mod will still be tough at low levels, but more surviveable now for a range of pcs.

OOO really is a fab mod. ALll the new quests and factions and AI enhancements..whew. Its just awesome.

Thanks for the heads up on Franseco's mod though. I appreciate it. It was definitely worth trying out.

I don't think so either.

The Fallout child killer is a good one!

Though Fallout's setting makes for things to be a bit more isolated in their consequences, this certainly is one that spreads. Though it's a bit annoying, because if I eradicate Junktown, who's left to say I'm a child killer?