Why Blizzard is so Successful

qaz156

Ive been spoilt rotten by Rome:Total War, I dont think Ill ever be able to play an ordinary "he who builds fastest wins" RTS again

although RTW might classify as semi-turnbased?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ive been spoilt rotten by Rome:Total War, I dont think Ill ever be able to play an ordinary "he who builds fastest wins" RTS again

although RTW might classify as semi-turnbased?

I'd say Total War games are really two games in one. Anyway, in my opinion the real time part of TW is much better than any typical RTS.

Also, I know a lot of people that only bother to play the real time battles and never touch the campaign.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Azarkon hit the nail on the head. Not much more to be said really. :p

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Yes, he did. But highlight the large markets and streamlining bits. I occasionally see someone write on a forum something like "I wish Blizzard had developed [insert flawed "hardcore"/niche game]", meaning they like Blizzard's polish, attention to detail and support. Only Blizzard would never develop a niche title and if they did, it wouldn't hold the same appeal because Blizzard would take it in a different direction to assure that bigger audience.

Yes, he did.  But highlight the large markets and streamlining bits.  I occasionally see someone write on a forum something like "I wish Blizzard had developed [insert flawed "hardcore"/niche game]", meaning they like Blizzard's polish, attention to detail and support.  Only Blizzard would never develop a niche title and if they did, it wouldn't hold the same appeal because Blizzard would take it in a different direction to assure that bigger audience.

I for one would love to see a niche title. With the attention to detail Blizzard does it would be great. But they would never have the balls to do it.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Warcraft 3 was too hero centric for my tastes...

instead of actual armies going at it you've got 15 footies with a troupe of 3 heroes attacking eachother.

I had that exact same feeling when playing through. Sure it was fun till I got about 3/4 of the way through, but after that it quickly came down and I cheated my way through the last campaign just to see the storyline play out. :blink: Once I hit the night elf campaign I started to notice all the things that I really didn't like about the game start to jump out at me.

that's pretty much what I did. Warcraft in the olden days of war2 was more about armies and tactics. tactics because there is a unit cap, armies because there was no heroes. now with war3 your entire fight is based around getting the other guy to hit your footies and other chaff while your heroes do all the smashin. ESPECIALLY after you have items of power :shudder:

Why blizzard!? Why did you have to make the game a RTRPG!? It would have been so much better if it had been more like starcraft without "levels" and "items"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

One thing I liked: Using StarCraft Campaign Editor as it was interesting editing levels and creating maps, and Warcraft III World editor. (Was that what it was called?)

However, it was like a kids' game.

Edited by vaxen83

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Lost Vikings was quite awesome too.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Only Blizzard game I ever liked was Blackthorne, heh supposed to have been a failure sales wise.

I thought that was a smash hit?! Me and my friends were quite into it when it came. Lost Vikings too.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/21/is-world...pc-games-market

First I'd like to refer to the above article. And second: any thoughts on why blizzard is able to CONSISTENTLY stand out? (Plz no, "They make good games" answers). Obviously every developer strives for that. Especially would like to know the opinions of those in the industry, because I'm sure they talk about it, concerning the major success of blizzard and how they're able to pull it off. (They're consistency is almost so scary that it's like "are they enslaving lots of third world genius programmers and artists?")

That was a really short article I was expecting something much longer.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I actually played Blackthorne for the first time a while ago, and it really has aged well, suprisingly. Even the art direction is still decent and has that Blizzard-look on it.

Lost Vikings was probably the second SNES games I ever played and I bought the sequel the second I found it from a store. I have nothing but pure love for those games.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

WoW's hype was very strange. Half my friends had it on pre-order before its american release and none of them were Blizzard or MMO fans. Its like they were the victims of some brainwashing I managed to completely miss.

So true. I ended up here instead.

Blizzard is successful because they create games people wnat to play. This is the same philosophy that all successful businesses have - make something (be it games, cars, movies, food) that people want.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I've played almost every MMO since The Sierra Network had that odd little dungeon crawler in their online world, and WoW is a perfect example of why Blizzard is top-notch. First off, attention to detail, as many have already said. Secondly, when I played the Open Beta for WoW, the game was utterly complete. It was stable, it had a huge amount of quests, it had polish...it was more developed than most MMO's are after their first year. They tested it insanely. Most companies would have released WoW 2 years before Blizzard actually did.