Why Blizzard is so Successful

qaz156

Although BE games are sometimes annoying precise against playability. (Bugs aside) Like Diablo II.

What?

Yeah. I have always thought that the strong point of Blizzard games is their playability.

That's what vaxen is saying? :)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Blizzard is successful because their apparent quality games attract the youngest (most numerous) players.

I'm modding Wc3 since almost two years now, and you'll be amazed how many idiots roam battle.net. The most popular map is an incredibly imbalanced game wich everyones play because it's almost a trend now.

Imo, the only good game blizzard ever made was Starcraft.

Sure, Blizzard's not exactly creative ...

They cherry-picked the good and familiar ideas from popular videa games, PnP RPG's, Tabletop Strategy games, literature ...

They borrowed elements from popular game genres and did their best to make the interface simple ...

But, in order to ensure the best quality game possible upon release ... they test the crap out of it and fix all the bugs they can.

And they continue to provide support to their existing games (Patch v1.14 of StarCraft was just released a few days ago).

Not only does Blizzard have money, but the fanbase is still huge. Is it large enough to swamp this board and close it down for a few days? I don't know, but this is not theoretical. It happened some years back when someone took a young designer's comments the wrong way. Let's play nice, everyone.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Blizzard is also known for having more than 2d worlds. what I mean is that the characters all feel like they actually exsist.

also Chris Metzen.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's more like Blizzard took the whole space marines vs. ugly genobastards-theme from Warhammer 40k. Even the power armors look akin. Not to mention that Eldar are pretty damn similar to Protoss; both have a honor-based warrior culture, both are humanoid telepaths and kinetics and extremely xenophobic.

Edit: Durnk tpying

I've never played Warhammer 40k, but the Zerg and Marines always reminded me of Starship Troopers.

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet

Blizzard games strong mechanics. They understand what makes a game addictive and worth playing. I can tell you prior to WoW coming out MMORPG was not mainstream, at least not in my community and amongst my friends, after it came out, everyone I knew was playing WoW, and these weren't gamers, they were people that up to then hadn't touched a computer game, or were "I played this funny game where you shoot people, I think its called Quake" kind of people. In otherwards Blizzard took people that largely were not gamers and hooked then onto WoW. They drew new people into the market. That's ultimately what made them successful I think, when they saw Diablo they knew it was something that would appeal to people and ended up buying Condor.

Secondly Blizzard games has strong themes and storylines, this Blizzard owns a huge debt to Games Workshop, whom I am surprised never sued them for copyright enfringment. The green skinned orcs, Zergs, and Terrans all have origins in Warhammer Fantasy and 40k. But not only this they take time to develop storylines and populate their games with memorable characters and interesting plot lines.

Blizzard pays an enormous amount of attention to detail. You can tell when the last half of almost all Blizzard manuals are just fluff, background setting, item descriptions, and story.

And lastly Blizzard games attract a broad spectrum of people. They attract young people as young as 12-13, at the same time the gameplay and content is mature enough to appeal to teenagers and adults alike. Even hardcore gamers like me, feel that Diablo 2 has the occasional hack 'n slash appeal. Compare this to games like the CRPG classics, Baldur's Gate or Torment, as popular as Baldur's Gate 2 was it can't compare to the huge popularity of Diablo, and nothing needs to be said of Torment.

Oh yea one more thing. Warhammer 40k is still 1000x cooler then Starcraft. Dawn of War was the first time I started skirmish games against the computers just to listen to to the CSM go "CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSs"

Edited by EUIX

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

WoW's hype was very strange. Half my friends had it on pre-order before its american release and none of them were Blizzard or MMO fans. Its like they were the victims of some brainwashing I managed to completely miss.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Copycat? Please.

Every game out there has 'incorporated' elements, either thematic (unavoidable, because there are no new plots) or shameless (due to success of the earlier game). I see nothing wrong with using an intriguing 'concept' and making your own interpretation; the end result is usually nothing like the 'original' idea--if there is such a thing.

"...successful games can be useful, not for cloning, but for analysis."--Game Design, Theory and Practice
So can less-than-successful games.

I believe this is what Blizzard has done--distilled out an essence of what they believe worked and what didn't, in a given genre--and came up with their own model of what gamers are looking for. Combining these elusive elements with solid mechanics (and a dedicated team) seems to work, even in a routine hack-n-slash. Was it luck? Probably, initially. But at least (so far) they have had the sense not to diverge too far from a player-oriented philosophy, for the sake of ego or 'innovation' alone.

Copycat?  Please. 

Every game out there has 'incorporated' elements, either thematic (unavoidable, because there are no new plots) or shameless (due to success of the earlier game).  I see nothing wrong with using an intriguing 'concept' and making your own interpretation; the end result is usually nothing like the 'original' idea--if there is such a thing. 

Copycat. Yes.

Even graphically, there are Warhammer symbols in some wc3 textures, and I've recently read a thread wich pointed out that the orc's townhall has skaven's symbols somewere. Metzen hardly has made an original story in all his life. He just put together some classic fantasy stuff assembled in some vaguely new form.

Copycat?  Please. 

Every game out there has 'incorporated' elements, either thematic (unavoidable, because there are no new plots) or shameless (due to success of the earlier game).  I see nothing wrong with using an intriguing 'concept' and making your own interpretation; the end result is usually nothing like the 'original' idea--if there is such a thing. 

Copycat. Yes.

Yep, but still enjoyable no doubt!

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Talking from a financial standpoint -

JE & Kaftan are absolutely correct - Blizzard is a company that can start off with a prototype, playtest it heavily throughout the period of a few years, decide to scrap it completely, and develop a new one until they get it "just right." And if they never get it right (ie Lord of the Clans & Starcraft: Ghost, which wasn't developed by Blizzard but was under the Blizzard "seal of quality"), they simply discard the game in order to preserve their reputation. Try doing that as a developer under publisher pressures.

There is also the matter of Blizzard's unstoppable marketing, PR, and global localization teams. They have the money to spend on advertisement, and, along with the "quality" word of mouth associated with Blizzard (due to the above), this is a potent advantage compared to smaller, less well-established companies.

Talking from a first-contact point of view -

Blizzard's success back in the heydays of the RTS genre and their masterful acquisition of key development teams (ie Condor->Blizzard North) is what gave them the financial resources necessary to accomplish the aforementioned feats. In this manner, they're very similar to Bioware - BG and BG2 built the basis of Bioware's fanbase, namesake, and finance, which in turn allowed them to spend ~4-5 years in the development of NWN 1 which, despite the less-than-stellar OC, guaranteed its success via the sheer abundance of features.

Finally, from the POV of a gamer -

Blizzard games are must-buys for many because of five reasons:

* They're always high-quality, because Blizzard simply does not release games that they do not consider up to par with their reputation. This also tends to mean an absence of bugs, the presence of significant polish even in the smallest of details, etc.

* They always have stellar gameplay - Blizzard have a good sense of what constitutes interesting and addictive gameplay, and this is something that they're willing to iterate as long as needed in order to get right.

* Excellent production qualities in terms of art and music - despite losing much of their artist team post-WoW, Blizzard seems to make excellent acquisitions in terms of artists in the industry.

* They always have mass appeal - the Warcraft world is like a watered down version of the Warhammer world (same with SC and WH40k) that trades the gritty, dark aspects of WH for the much ligher, "epic" atmosphere of an adventure narrative. Their art style, being Disney-esque, is very approacheable to players of all ages.

* The above is also in part due to Blizzard's focus on *streamlining*. Blizzard's games are always easy to play and they're always adorned with simple, user-friendly interfaces that require minimal effort on the part of players trying to learn it. Compare this to, say, Bioware's NWN or SoE's EQ 2, both which actually required you to *learn* the user interface and both of which had a generally clunky feeling throughout the game. The same streamlining is present in Blizzard's gameplay - you're never really in doubt as to what a spell/ability/unit does, because the information is presented in a simple, easily accessed way, and the game mechanics themselves are designed in such a way as to not require complicated descriptions (as opposed to, say, D&D). For this aspect of Blizzard's games, I like to use an example:

In a Blizzard game, the spell Magic Missile would simply say:

Magic Missile

(Rank 1)

Casting time: 1 second

Mana Cost: 5 mana

Does 1-5 damage to a single target.

In a SoE game, on the other hand, the spell Magic Missile would say:

Magic Missile

(Apprentice I/Apprentice II/Adept I/Adept II/Master I)

Casting time: 1 second

Recovery time: 0.5 second

Recast time: 0.0 second

Concentration: 0

Target: 1

Range: 20 yrds

Power Cost: 5

Mastery: Evocation

Inflicts 1-5 damage to target

* +1.5 for each two caster levels past the first

* Interrupts casting

If target is not Epic

* Does 100% more damage against magic vulnerable targets

* In PvP, the spell instead does 1-4 damage, and does not interrupt spells

Other companies have, as of late, tried to adopt this aspect of Blizzard games, but in trying to do so they've generally equated streamlining with shallow gameplay, forgetting that Blizzard's games are always "easy to play, hard to master."

Anyhow, those are my feelings with regards to Blizzard's success.

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

WoW's hype was very strange. Half my friends had it on pre-order before its american release and none of them were Blizzard or MMO fans. Its like they were the victims of some brainwashing I managed to completely miss.

You're not alone. Although, for a week or two I was really thinking about getting it, but that stupid fee just isn't worth it.

Copycat?  Please. 

When I was playing Warcraft 3 I thought I was playing Warlords Battlecry 2 but with prettier graphics. :p

Warcraft 3 was too hero centric for my tastes...

instead of actual armies going at it you've got 15 footies with a troupe of 3 heroes attacking eachother.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm guessing you are a fan of Command and Conquer, Calax.

Heja Sverige!!

They always have mass appeal - the Warcraft world is like a watered down version of the Warhammer world (same with SC and WH40k) that trades the gritty, dark aspects of WH for the much ligher, "epic" atmosphere of an adventure narrative.  Their art style, being Disney-esque, is very approacheable to players of all ages.

Good description. :p

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Warcraft 3 was too hero centric for my tastes...

instead of actual armies going at it you've got 15 footies with a troupe of 3 heroes attacking eachother.

I had that exact same feeling when playing through. Sure it was fun till I got about 3/4 of the way through, but after that it quickly came down and I cheated my way through the last campaign just to see the storyline play out. :p Once I hit the night elf campaign I started to notice all the things that I really didn't like about the game start to jump out at me.

I'm guessing you are a fan of Command and Conquer, Calax.

Can't speak for Calax, but I personally much prefer C&C to Warcraft and just slightly more than Starcraft.

Edited by Deraldin

I think it's clear that Blizzard's RTSes were always built for pretty graphics, with larger, more detailed(and hence fewer) sprites, while Westwood's RTSes were all about pure carnage and armies as large as possible.

Heja Sverige!!