I am a profit

Epiphany

Profit was on purpose, otherwise people wouldn't have a reason to whine and cry over my post. 

Aww, you felt insecure of your l33t posting skillz. There there now. Shhh... Everythings going to all right. There

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

As for the Blu-Ray and HD DVD formats I don't particularly care.  All the movies I buy are on DVD so I have no reason to get a player.

What exactly will Blue-Ray versions of a movie have that their DVD counterparts won't, anyway?

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet

^ ^ ^ ^

LOLZ!

The majority of you all are incapable of even participating in a debate like this, so this is my way of allowing you all to get your posts in since I'm the famous one here that everyone tries to hate. That's why I did "profit" this time, and "Was I right 'or what'" the other time. It gives those that can't follow the thread a way to get their kicks in. Otherwise, my threads of greatness would fade away. But seeing as how they normally get several thousand views and loads of responses, my tactics WORK.

Just look at this one already...

lol

Winner.

With all respect to m'Lady and my stary friend, it's not just the games in this case.  Sony is clearly banking on advancing beyond console status with this system.  They want to define the next great movement in storage.  They want to displace, in a significant way, current home theater systems.  They want to encroach upon computers.  No, it's not just about the games.  If Blu-ray doesn't excel, it will hurt Sony.

I would agree that it is Sony's goal to make the PS3 more than just a gaming machine but instead a home entertainment system, but the public still perceives it as a gaming console first and foremost, with a few nifty gadgets on the side that will likely just collect dust. Thus Hades' point of view ("the games are all that matter") is valid, though a bit off topic since this discussion is about Blue-Ray.

I agree, but the fact is Sony is spending a lot of money towards moving beyond the console stereotype. If it only manages to grab folks who rail about the game selection, the PS3 will fail. However, if BR/BD manages to deliver the goods... if it's so powerful I'm inclined to buy one, then I'll do the mkreku and buy a PS3 based on BD.

Hades is entirely right from a consumer's point of view. I say that without irony, I agree with him. ...But it's not that cut and dried from Sony's end. They didn't price themselves that high to appeal solely to console gamers. They've thrown out serious cash in order to enlarge their market. One of the big reasons I'm waiting on purchasing a console is that the lack of clarity on the DVD/BD issue.

EDIT: Damned internet connection at my folks house.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Very verbose of you, Eldar. :D

As for the Blu-Ray and HD DVD formats I don't particularly care.  All the movies I buy are on DVD so I have no reason to get a player.

What exactly will Blue-Ray versions of a movie have that their DVD counterparts won't, anyway?

A bigger price tag.

Just as I expected. :)

-Gauntlet

HA! That was the old version. The new and improved Eldar version is my usual, verbose self.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I agree, but the fact is Sony is spending a lot of money towards moving beyond the console stereotype.  If it only manages to grab folks who rail about the game selection, the PS3 will fail.  However, if BR/BD manages to deliver the goods... if it's so powerful I'm inclined to buy one, then I'll do the mkreku and buy a PS3 based on BD.

If Sony really will be selling their PS3s at a loss of $500 a pop, then I have a feeling it will fail no matter what. :)

Joking aside, I can't disagree with your logic. Blue-Ray is what will make or break their product. It's kind of scary to think they're putting all their eggs in one basket on such a huge business issue.

-Gauntlet

If Sony really will be selling their PS3s at a loss of $500 a pop, then I have a feeling it will fail no matter what.

Noones ever sold consoles at a loss. Microsoft purpousfully planted the "info" that they took a loss on 360 sales in order to "deliver the goods to the public" as a PR stunt.

Sony are doing the exact same thing with their "The PS3 is worth 800$ but we're going to be nice and let you have it for just 500$"

jerks.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I thought microsoft lost some cash on each Xbox 1 that was sold.

The actual console is sold at a loss, but they get the money back from royalties from each game that's been sold.

I don't know what Epiphany is rambling about, but being a fanboy of a certain product or company is a scary sight.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

To think I was actually going to post a similar topic today when I got home ...

But oddly enough, I was beaten to it, and I don't think I could possibly match what has been said here.

My thoughts on the subject that everyone seems to be ignoring though...

It's very interesting that there are so many issues with Blu-Ray. Sony did claim it was a superior format across the board, but currently all HD-DVD titles are using 30GB dual-layer discs with VC-1 and have DD+/DTS/DTHD audio while Blu-Ray titles are using 25GB single-layer discs with the older MPEG2 with uncompressed PCM 48kh 16-bit audio. I think they went a little to far to claim outright superiority in their format.

Also, another interesting tid-bit is the fact that both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs are in 1080p24, and that all the players use Broadcom decoders for reading the disc, and in doing so, they all read the 1080p24 signal as a 1080i60 signal. The only difference is, the Blu-Ray players de-interlace the signal that was just interlaced, while the Toshiba (HD-DVD) just displays the 1080i60 signal. It sort of washes the argument of Blu-Ray being superior for 1080p/1080i, since both formats interlace the picture, and Blu-Ray players will de-interlace it for you, while HD-DVD players will require your display device to do the de-interlacing.

On a side note, I'm rather disappointed in a lot of the responses in this thread. Either the topic creator made a mistake, or he really played you all like a game. I'm beginning to think that you all were played pretty well, seeing as how pretty much everyone ran off topic, and focused on his thread title, rather than the content itself. If you're incapable of discussing it, why even bother posting in the thread?

On a side note, I'm rather disappointed in a lot of the responses in this thread.  Either the topic creator made a mistake, or he really played you all like a game.  I'm beginning to think that you all were played pretty well, seeing as how pretty much everyone ran off topic, and focused on his thread title, rather than the content itself.  If you're incapable of discussing it, why even bother posting in the thread?

Because it's more fun to slam the topic creator than it is to actually discuss the topic? :huh:

On a side note, I'm rather disappointed in a lot of the responses in this thread. Either the topic creator made a mistake, or he really played you all like a game. I'm beginning to think that you all were played pretty well, seeing as how pretty much everyone ran off topic, and focused on his thread title, rather than the content itself. If you're incapable of discussing it, why even bother posting in the thread?

Yes, Epiphany played us all. :huh:

Edited by alanschu