Want a new CRPG.

tarna

The character for Arcanum is not a pregenerated character. So, no, I don't get what you're selling, Plano. Explain.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

No. You are wrong. Period. The PC is not a ' uberpowerful pregen' or even a 'pregen' nor is he/she even 'trying tof gure out who he/she is' nor 'do they have amnesia'.

The only thing close to that is the 'prphecy' that calls you the reincarnation of some fabled elf.

Not even close to PST like. If anything, it's closer to the BGs in terms of character background.

well, the power issue is one of a lack of game balance, more than storyline...I will grant that.

the point is, the game is unbalanced and the story follows the BioWare formula of using the PCs own backstory to such an extent.

well, the power issue is one of a lack of game balance, more than storyline...I will grant that.

the point is, the game is unbalanced and the story follows the BioWare formula of using the PCs own backstory to such an extent.

The PC's backstory was only really a factor in character creation. What you do get is Virgil's conviction that you fulfill a prophecy,

a conviction that turns out to be false

, but you can always ditch Virgoo if you like.

The game does have serious flaws, that's true - the worst in my view is that you gain experience based on damage inflicted by your character, so it's hard to play a diplomat or healer who lets others do the fighting. That said, it's still a really enjoyable game with good replay value, and I recommend it.

Has anyone played Ultima 5 Lazarus? I heard they finished it, but is it actually enjoyable to play?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

How is that bad espicially since BIo didn't make either Arcanum or PST?

And, actually, the PC's background is hardly used or relevant in Arcanum. In fact, it's completely glossed over even with the 'background' the PC chooses.

Did you play Arcanum? Seriously. I think you are forgetting a lot or mistaking it for another game. :)

As for the power issue, well, it depends on your playstyle, and how you made your character. Many claim it's really easy with a mage or really hard with a tech character; but I never had too many problems with my dwarf techie.

:)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The game does have serious flaws, that's true - the worst in my view is that you gain experience based on damage inflicted by your character, so it's hard to play a diplomat or healer who lets others do the fighting.  That said, it's still a really enjoyable game with good replay value, and I recommend it.

well, in all candor, I have tried at least twice now to get into PST and I just can't get into it.

I'm going to keep trying and maybe I will see what all the hubalu is about....same thing, I guess, is at work with Arcanum....I know there are some gems in there somewhere but I haven't made it over the hump yet.

How is that bad espicially since BIo didn't make either Arcanum or PST?

And, actually, the PC's background is hardly used or relevant in Arcanum. In fact, it's completely glossed over even with the 'background' the PC chooses.

Did you play Arcanum? Seriously. I think you are forgetting a lot or mistaking it for another game. :)

I guess I should have shed Virgil....he talks too much about what he believes is your backstory.

next time, I'll shed him early on.

@Tarna

Sorry dude, because of your avatar I thought you were a lady.

Also, I forgot to mention Arx Fatalis.

AF is a FPRPG in the classic tradition of Ultima Underworld, from which it took its inspiration.

It is an open-ended underground world but nowhere as non-linear as ES titles.

Oh and you cast spells by drawing on the screen with the cursor.

Very good game but a bit buggy.

If you can dig it up anywhere, you might want to give Bloodnet a go. The only cyberpunk crpg I ever managed to get for my old Amiga computer. I know it was also released on the PC, buy I haven't seen it for sale anywhere. Not exactly party based combat BG style, but rather a spiritual predecessor for VMBL.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I can't even remember if I have ever played G1. I have tried G2 for sure. And, it's boring. It's one of those few games that actually goes downhill from the start. Between the horrid controls, and the lack of movitation; I just had to ask myself 'is there a point to this?' Too bad too. It had some cool stuff. That said, unlike the ES series, G3 truly looks awesome and woth a try. 

How far did ya get Volourn? Once you decide who you want to side with, motivations start getting more prominent, but yeah there's usually been a more subtle sense of purpose in the Gothic games in the first 3/4 of them. Good to see you're keeping an open mind about the third though.

Glad to see that the Gothic's have already been recommended. I'll just concur.. this time.

Whew! :(

"How far did ya get Volourn?"

3-5 hours, I believe. I just got past the first town. The only real memorabel things were the jumping downa cliff and being swarmed by wolves (heh), and watching the guards threaten me and then steal a wolf kill. Jerkoffs. The town itslef was rather... uninspired... Not as bad as the ES games, mind you, but unimpressive.

The reason I'm giving G3 a chance is because it looks like it is truly improving thbings (and , not superficially like the ES series), and though I ended up not being a fan of G2; there were things I did admire about it to not completely write it off.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

do you like sandbox games?  anyway, if you do, there is a game known as Pirates! that, while not an RPG per se, is a really good adventure game that is all about advancement and choices.

I picked up a used copy of it for Xbox yesterday and have been having a blast with it.

the Xbox version is now out of production but it is available on PC as "Pirates! Live the Life".

the game has been around in one form or other for over 20 years but the latest incarnation is really good.

Yeah, I believe I got many hours of enjoyment out of Pirates. Hell, I may even boot up another game and see if I can complete all the objectives (heck, I'm unemployed, a student, and it's summer...)

I'm not sure I liked it better than Pirates Gold on Sega...just differently.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I hated Gothic 2 so I will not be playing Gothic 3. I also hated Diablo 1 and 2 so I will not be bothering with Hellgate: London. They were dreadfully boring games. Now if they can make a game with the involved story of PS:T but allow the player to make his own character instead of a premade I would love it.

I hate premaded characters. I want to play my character and not the designers'.

You hate it so much that it's one of your favourite games ever.

It would be number one if it didn't have a premade character. PS:T has a lot of strengths, next to no weaknesses besides the premade character so it is in the number 2 position of my favorite CRPGs. Fix that one design aspect of the game it would have easily been in the number 1 position, exceeding Fallout 1.

Edited by Judge Hades

if you liked iwd then we suggest fallout:tactics.  truthfully, iwd and fo:tactics play real similar: they is both squad-based tactical combat games with little to nil role-playing involved...

Gromnir's comments on FO:T were spot on. In the same spirit I would like to suggest Silent Storm. Similar game to FO:T and JA2. Very similar.

It does suffer from the same problem as FO:T, 2/3 into the game it becomes a lot less fun. The expansion, Sentinles, is awesome though. That one should be mandatory for anyone who liks squad based tacticals.