NWN2 Videos!

Found this on the REAL NWN2 boards.. link to IGN and the "first" NWN2 videos.

Good stuff 99%, and 1% bad.

Totally sweet. :">

http://pc.ign.com/articles/704/704146p1.html

Repost from The Evil Ones Board tm. :

Good stuff. ye all should have showed the really huge creatures like a dragon so we can see the size difference in comparison to NWN1 large creatures.

The UI looks about the same as NWN with some differences so that's cool. I noticed soemthing in the upper left corner that i couldn't tell what it was though (too dark). Targeting spell icon thingy is cool. I'm not the biggest fan of controlling henchmen like others are; but if youa re gonna do it do it right, I say and it seems thou hast!

The videos were really dark though so it wans't 100% as clear as I'd like.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Unlike others, I don't steal other people's shtick. That's yours so you keep it.

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Very nice videos.

Character creation looks quite nice. The default clothing was quite appropriate. I guess the clown outfits are out. Lots of prestige classes. My favorite part is probably the background, though. I wonder what kind of custom background we'll be able to introduce for our own mods (and whether that'd require a hak).

I like the interface's style. I really like the dual set of dialogue setups (KOTOR vs classic). The default font looks very appropriate. I wonder if you'll be able to have a window pop up similar to the 'skip tutorial' one, with 'buttons' to click on. Customizable UI says yes, but again I'm wondering about hak status.

I also wonder whether you'll be able to write text for the loading screen.

Yay, party control. Happy fun fun fun. And dynamic lighting is, obvious, cool.

The interiors were pretty cool. Mix-and-match tilesets is a big step up from NWN1, and that temple really showcased it.

I couldn't see much from the combat. Anyway. The spell quickbar is incredibly cool, and I really like the showcasing of area effect when casting spells. I'm looking forward to being able to customize visual effects.

All in all, no new info per say, but it's really nice to finally see it in action. E3 should be very cool.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

That massive, bulging "Move To" symbol is going to be a pet peeve of mine, but oh well. :devil:

Looks generally good, after playing Oblivion it's great to see realistic looking people with fluid animations. The party control thing is really going to make me like this game.

EDIT: Quickast menu looks much much better than radial.

Edited by Tigranes

I have to view everything on my laptop right now, but it all looked too dark to get a good feel for the game. I'm looking forward to it, though.

I think the story would be much tighter if they didn't include so many races and prestige classes. But, you know, the ship has sailed on that. I'm not going to let it harsh my buzz. I'm sure as hell not going to let it kill the fun before I even play the game. One thing I enjoy is that it has actual dialogue.

I can live with most tutorials. In fact, I like some of them. KotOR2 had a great tutorial. Some folks didn't like it, but I've never seen another tutorial capture the suspense of the moment.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

And how exactly would fewer races/classes make the story "tighter"?

class and race have nothing to do with story telling :p

Maybe he means the way story NPCs will react to a certain race?

You can have the same NPC telling the PC they are good looking if they pick an ugly race can you? :devil:

Feargus mentions (in the first video) that the tutorial plays through the harvest festival ... I played a NwN mod that did something similar, and it was actually a great tutorial (I remember it had an evil Candyman villain in it, too).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Race/class argument is that one of the reasons CRPG storylines are so generic and use well-known "hinges" or "Triggers" is because they must be adapted to work on characters of all genders, races, classes and moral alignments (as well as past accomplishments).

I like the dual dialogue system, and pretty much all the signifiacnt changes from NWN to NWN2, OC wise, seems to be more for a BG2 feeling. That, I like. For me it's the best combat I've seen because it's the most tactical while still being D&D.

And how exactly would fewer races/classes make the story "tighter"?

class and race have nothing to do with story telling :blink:

The more combinations you have the fewer you can devote to any one combination.

Lets say you have 5 lines of dialogue. If you only had a single possible character every line could relate to them. If you had a variety of races and classes, then the dialogue would need to be somewhat generic in order to apply to the full range.

You can see it quite well on KOTOR.

On Telos you can be one of three classes.

By Dantooine you are a Jedi at which point the dialogue becomes more Jedi specific. Because at that point you will always be a Jedi.

After the third planet, people start to address you by name and refer to your old exploits. Because at that point you have a fixed identity.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It sounds like Obsidian have done their best to make NwN2 as close as possible to AD&D 3.5, including classes and sub-races, etc.

It looks spectacular: the alignment /influence and the background / reputation system seems to have been completely integrated into the gameplay mechanic (e.g. the Keep the PC gets later on) in a way that we can only dream for K2.

The graphics are very impressive, the tutorial sounds well done and the granularity of control available to the modder is startling. This game is a pre-order, and I can see myself playing it for a long, long time.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What I found very funny was that Feargus sounds EXACTLY like every other person Ive heard giving a demo of a game or program :blink: I wonder if theres someone out there giving classes of how to walk an audience through a software demo?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

USER INTERFACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should we interpret this outburst as a positive reaction, Mr. Hades?

Controllable NPCs = Winner!

Now, they just need to make it turn-based and we're set :ermm:"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "