NWN2 only 20 hours long?

Meshugger

Though it does sound like 20 hrs would be 'rushing speed', that in and of itself wouldn't necessarily be bad, either. It just depends what proportion of that time would be spend on mindless drivel. People sometimes overemphasize quantity to the detriment of quality. Of course, if both are lacking, bah.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Gamespot reviewer isn't proof. Nice try.

"Nope. Unless you stop and play that godawful shoot'em up thingie for hours on end."

I played the shoot 'em up 2-3 times. I play RPGs for the RPG.

"Too bad Bioware also gets alot of praise for games they don't make"

Not by people who know what they are talking about. :)

"You have to read through the whole thing. Imho by the end of it Sawyer looks quite the ****, but I'll leave you to judge for yourselves."

I ahven't read it yet; but your opinion auto loses due to the use of flimsy childish insults like '****'.

Place try again when you reach the age of 18 maturity wise. :huh:

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Too bad Bioware also gets alot of praise for games they don't make"

Not by people who know what they are talking about. :huh:

And ouside of the close community there are more people who don't know what they talk about than people who do know...

Thus alot of praise for Bioware for something they don't do/have done

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

"You have to read through the whole thing. Imho by the end of it Sawyer looks quite the ****, but I'll leave you to judge for yourselves."

I ahven't read it yet; but your opinion auto loses due to the use of flimsy childish insults like '****'.

Place try again when you reach the age of 18 maturity wise. :huh:

I'm afraid it's you that looks childish now, but like I said my opinion is just that: my opinion. You have my permission to make your own, assuming you're capable.

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Q: How long will it take to beat NWN 2?

A: Its difficult to estimate it exactly, but you'll play 20 hours for sure. We want to ensure that a maximum number of players completes the game, and there are only few who play longer then 20 hours.

The only way you can interpret that is that the are aiming for a game that takes the average player 20hours to complete. Which means people like us will do it over the weekend.

But it sounds dodgy, why would OE care if a player finishes the game or not when hes already bought it? What possible reason is there for shortening a game so that the maximum amount of players finish it?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

"It would be a shocker if it was true, given that Sawyer has justified the nerfage of multiplayer to make room for a more profitable singleplayer campaign."

How are they 'nerfing' MP? Isn't it exactly like it was in NWN1? Hmm...

Click Me

You have to read through the whole thing. Imho by the end of it Sawyer looks quite the ****, but I'll leave you to judge for yourselves.

And for revenge, you look like one now. I don't really give a damn what they do to MP as long as the SP is good. So, to me, he looks like a knight in shining armor.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

ain't no fan of jade empires is Gromnir, but we will note that we had more than 20 hours invested in the game when we quit, and we weren't right at the end of the game. also, there were considerable number of quests that we simply weren't intereted in 'nuff to address, so we coulda' gotten even more hours o' gameplay out of it. am not denying that Jade Empire were relatively short... and we ain't saying that we liked it, but the 20 hour and less estimates is seeming odd to us.

that being said, Gromnir recalls the last game that fergie claimed were in the 20-30 hour range. anybody recall HoW? we got a little better than 10 hours from HoW. fergie has let his fans down in the past, and we expect that the fallout from HoW were not something fergie would wanna repeat... but perhaps we is wrong.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The only way you can interpret that is that the are aiming for a game that takes the average player 20hours to complete. Which means people like us will do it over the weekend.

Ehm, You'll is to a Codex reviewer I would guess... Meaning more than the "avarage gamer"... :huh:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Well, if someone can't even be bothered to finish the game, they're less likely to be willing to invest in future titles.

But then, if the title isn't compelling enough to finish in the first place, does it really matter if it's 2 or 10 or 40 hrs long?

Ultimately, I guess it depends on what the actual content of the game actually comprises of. They could add random dungeons with useless combat in it to appease losers. Or they could cripple the player's walking speed. Win-win!

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

"It would be a shocker if it was true, given that Sawyer has justified the nerfage of multiplayer to make room for a more profitable singleplayer campaign."

How are they 'nerfing' MP? Isn't it exactly like it was in NWN1? Hmm...

Click Me

You have to read through the whole thing. Imho by the end of it Sawyer looks quite the ****, but I'll leave you to judge for yourselves.

And for revenge, you look like one now. I don't really give a damn what they do to MP as long as the SP is good. So, to me, he looks like a knight in shining armor.

You kind of missed the point of the whole thread then. *IF* the campaign is 20 hours long, *THEN* he nerfed MP for nothing.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Well, if someone can't even be bothered to finish the game, they're less likely to be willing to invest in future titles.

Dunno about that. If that is so why do so many game have great starts and turn crappy in the end? Think Fahrenheit, Deus Ex, Kotor2, Planescape:Torment etc. etc. etc.

I don't think a Kotor2-type ending will really stimulate further sales, while somebody who only played till Dantooine will most likely feel like buying the next game...

^

I think speculation on the length of single-player isn't particularly fruitful. Feargus can say what he wants, but I'll trust it when I see it. If there is good replay value, I don't mind a short playtime. If it's boring and I only go through the game once or twice at 20 hours, I'll be irritated. ...And I'll be here complaining or praising the game, probably both, as I see fit. I'm still not going to scream over the length of a game when it's still months from release.

The bottom line is, folks will go through the game at different speeds. Sure, some will exaggerate, but outright lie? You people are fools. Perhaps it's fatigue, but it's quite irritating to see people calling other folks liars all the time. Unless it's truly outrageous, why don't you people stop calling each other liars.

Edited by Eldar

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Odd.. As I said at the Codex, last time length came up, theyw ere shooting for 30-40 hours. If true, WOWSERS!

Ther ebetter be lots, lots, lots, lots, lots, lots, lots, lots of role-playing to make up for the (imo) lack of length..

Even JE, as short as it supposedly wa,s was upwards uof 30 hours if you actually played it as opposed to those who button smashed through everything including dialogue and supposedly finsihed it in 10-15 hours...

JE was about 20 hours if you do all side quests.

Well, if true, will NWN2 be shortest RPG in years?(ever?). Because there will be people who will complete it in 10-15 hours.

JE, Fable...

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Or, if it's a '20-hr' game with a properly implemented story and ending, then they'd actually finish it and feel as though they played through a complete product.

Fahrenheit is around that time (maybe a bit shorter) and also didn't have a finished ending... :huh:

DX:IW has around that time, and look what became of it...

Sometimes (meaning often) a longer game (DX) will make more people buy another game (IW) than that shorter game will...

Edited in quote...this topic goes fast

As to overall SP length, who has the time to play a 60-hr game, anyway? Is a 4-hour movie necessarily better than a 2-hour one? Quality over quantity.

Looks at Oblivion sales. Sees how LONG some people already played that even if the release is still so close...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

As for MP v. SP, I think this is the key quote:

We care about the PW crowd, but making a solid official campaign and great tools for "single-player" and small-scale multiplayer projects takes a higher priority. PW makers are very motivated, very talented people but they still represent a relatively small portion of the people who want to play the game.

Nothin' wrong with any of that.

As to overall SP length, who has the time to play a 60-hr game, anyway? Is a 4-hour movie necessarily better than a 2-hour one? Quality over quantity.

Or, if it's a '20-hr' game with a properly implemented story and ending, then they'd actually finish it and feel as though they played through a complete product.

Fahrenheit is around that time (maybe a bit shorter) and also didn't have a finished ending... :huh:

DX:IW has around that time, and look what became of it...

Sometimes (meaning often) a longer game (DX) will make more people buy another game (IW) than that shorter game will...

Edited in quote...this topic goes fast

In any case, NWN2 is technically done as far as story and writing are concerned, so I'm not worried about that bit, be it 20 or 40 or 6045 hrs.

Hadescopy.jpg

I think any explanation other than the fact that shorter = less content = easier and faster to develop is bull****.

But the downsides of shortening games are not to be taken lightly either

• Players will feel cheated when theyve paid full price for a game that only takes a weekend to finish
  • A short game will not create the same kind of "buzz" that a game like Oblivion does, where people will chitter excitedly about their experience with the game over the course of several weeks. Instead, people will play it the weekend its released, do a sort of "postmortem" on it during the week after and then "Poof!" its gone from the eye of the public! No, free hype for you.
  • If people finish the game quickly, theyll lend it to their mates the same week its released and those mates wont buy it, and you lose sales. If you had kept them playing that week, their mates would have gone "Damn, that looks fun. Ill buy a copy tomorrow"

and the list goes on. it doesnt really pay to be lazy.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

As for MP v. SP, I think this is the key quote:
We care about the PW crowd, but making a solid official campaign and great tools for "single-player" and small-scale multiplayer projects takes a higher priority. PW makers are very motivated, very talented people but they still represent a relatively small portion of the people who want to play the game.

Nothin' wrong with any of that.

No, I agree, he's a normal bloke afterall, probably has a mortgage to pay off, maybe even kids to feed - so yeah he's perfectly entitled to tell the PW community to shove it. Maybe as a result those people in the PW community won't buy the game, but that shouldn't matter to him, as they're the minority and therefore don't matter.

What gets me though is this revelation that the game might be the same length of time as Heart of Winter (which was crap tbh). You're film analogoy... I dunno it's like comparing apples to pears. Yeah a 2 hour film might be better than a 4 hour film, but I've never played a 20 hour RPG and considered it to be even remotely good.

I'd rather play a 20-hr game than a 40-hr game that only has enough real content for a 20-hr one.

Agreed.

Really, so long as it's satisfying and a damned fine example of a game, why's 20 hours so short? If there's extensive replay value, which there should be, judging by what's already been said by the devs (I know...but I still trust them.), then that 20 hr game turns into 40+.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I'd rather play a 20-hr game than a 40-hr game that only has enough real content for a 20-hr one.

Agreed.

Really, so long as it's satisfying and a damned fine example of a game, why's 20 hours so short? If there's extensive replay value, which there should be, judging by what's already been said by the devs (I know...but I still trust them.), then that 20 hr game turns into 40+.

Ah yes I see, this was a cunning tactic by Obsidian. Cut the game down to twenty hours and everyone will say "only 20 hours for a game that could make or break their company? It *MUST* be good!"

No, I agree, he's a normal bloke afterall, probably has a mortgage to pay off, maybe even kids to feed - so yeah he's perfectly entitled to tell the PW community to shove it. Maybe as a result those people in the PW community won't buy the game, but that shouldn't matter to him, as they're the minority and therefore don't matter.

I hardly think that going on a fan message board pre-release and informing players interested in designing persistent worlds that it might be more difficult than they expect amounts to telling them to "shove it." And the initial allocation of resources is simply a rational company decision that they think will most please the majority of their fans. Companies that don't do this kind of thing end up bankrupt.

What gets me though is this revelation that the game might be the same length of time as Heart of Winter (which was crap tbh). You're film analogoy... I dunno it's like comparing apples to pears. Yeah a 2 hour film might be better than a 4 hour film, but I've never played a 20 hour RPG and considered it to be even remotely good.

Heart of Winter was crap because the content stunk. If it were twice as long, it would've been even crappier.