NWN2 only 20 hours long?

Meshugger

Well... that is true too.

I guess the question is "why" did it sell?

well, the thing is that nwn products continued to sell. that is meaningful to Gromnir. even if people claims that it were hype or the d&d name or even bg or bg2 that got people to buy nwn initially, peoples continued to buy nwn and nwn expansions for a good long time after the strengths and shortcomings o' nwn were being posted 'cross the web. beyond the first couple of months can we assume that people were still being tricked into buying nwn? the expansions did pretty good too. is it reasonable to assume that the duration of bioware's/atari's mass hypnosis lasted for years?

HA! Good Fun!

Not at all.

Clearly there's a reason for it, the question is what that reason is.

I know some bought it because of the brandname, some for the company and some for the idea of playing multiplayer. Plus others were taken with the idea of modding.

My guess it's mostly a mixture of the name and company, as both those things have a lot of credit to them for different reasons. Expansion probably went a long way too as those always increase gameplay value.

30-40 times... WOWSERS! BG, FO, and any other game starts boring me the 3rd time through... WOWSERS! After 30-40 times through I'd go mad (well.. even madder)... WOWSERS! It's probably why I like NWN so much. I cna still play the game and actually get different content from it. Much like pnp.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You'd be wrong, of course. Atari had no problem with the NWN1 OC being 40-60 hours (some finishe dit as early as 30 hours or as mnuch as 100 yeah 100 hours)...

So, why are they supposedly  demanding 20 hours for NWN2? Iyt's not like they arne't giving Obsidian time to work on the game - over 2 years, actually, and about the same length it took to make bg2. And, way more time than BIO spent on the NWN1 OC...

I somewhat agree there, Feargus seems to become more interested in making games that doesn't require a long attentionspan (which he clearly thinks is the majority of the market). I haven't heard a word from Atari about NWN2 at all.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

GD, I should point out that for me perosnally, mods/PW/toolset (even though I haven't yet released anything damn... trying though) it has added lots of playing time. And, if it wans't for that stuff, NWN wouldn't be my favoite game (let alone top ten); but bottom line it would still be popular and still sold.

No argument there. The Bioware name was worth 500K copies, the D&D name woth 500K more. But I think you and I finally agree on something. If not for the "whole package" we would not be talking about it today 4 years after release.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Dark Raven: Hmm.. Finally.. I smell some sarcasm coming from you. :-"

"Take that away and where would NWN be?"

Still a multi million selling game with 2 expansions and a sequel on the way. That's where.

Would it have sold as well if it didn't have Dungeons and Dragons in the title?

I think not.

30-40 times... WOWSERS! BG, FO, and any other game starts boring me the 3rd time through... WOWSERS! After 30-40 times through I'd go mad (well.. even madder)... WOWSERS! It's probably why I like NWN so much. I cna still play the game and actually get different content from it. Much like pnp.

The BG games have many mods, which keeps that series interesting.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

20 hours? What a disappointment.  I thought Obsidian was better than that.  I guess not.  Well, there goes my enthusiasm for the game.  So, does this mean its a bargin bin game?  I think so.

If it is, I blame Atari for it.

Yeah, blame Lucasarts for KOTOR 2, blame Atari for NWN 2. And i think next time we will blame SEGA.

That worked for Troika (w00t)

Dark Raven: Hmm.. Finally.. I smell some sarcasm coming from you. :-"

"Take that away and where would NWN be?"

Still a multi million selling game with 2 expansions and a sequel on the way. That's where.

Would it have sold as well if it didn't have Dungeons and Dragons in the title?

I think not.

It would be nothing without the D&D name attached to it.

2010spaceships.jpg

Well, the shortness of the NWN 2 OC has pretty much killed any desire for the game.  I won't be buying a 20 hour CRPG any more than $10 to $20.  I don't care about the MP or the Tool Set.

A tool set is what brings more life into a game>>mods.

Agreed. Another prime example to that is the original Half-Life & Community.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

"Expansion probably went a long way too as those always increase gameplay value. "

no matter how you spin it, the expansions is abberrational if you blame on brand name or company or mp... 'cause who the hell buys the expansion if they didn't actually enjoy the core game, regardless of d&d logo or bioware name... and as for the mp aspects selling the expansions...

less than 10%. maybe some folks thought that mp would be super groovy when nwn were released, but how could they be tricked into buying the expansions?

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

When I buy a game I buy it based on what the developer puts into it, not mods.  I didn't buy BG for Dark Side of the Sword Coast, I didn't buy Neverwinter Nights for Dreamcatcher, and I am not going to buy Neverwinter Nights 2 for any mod.

Stop being narrow mined. Look into the future when you buy a game. If it has modding possibilities, it has more replay value, you get your moneys worth in the end.

2010spaceships.jpg

We all know POR2 and TOEE sold millions.

Did either of those games have multiplayer, a mod toolset or excellent support? :-

I'm not saying NWN would have bombed if it lacked the DND title... I just don't think it'd be the multimilliondollarseller it has become with the title/gameworld added.

"Would it have sold as well if it didn't have Dungeons and Dragons in the title?"

"We all know POR2 and TOEE sold millions."

R00fles!

"The BG games have many mods, which keeps that series interesting."

User made mods for the IE games is what made me stop playing them. Dark Side of the Coast is a prime example of utter crap that makes me puke.

"That worked for Troika"

LOL Three strikes; yer out. :-

"Did either of those games have multiplayer, a mod toolset or excellent support?"

As Grom points out, all that extra stuff means nothing to the typical NWN purchaser. They don't touch them. At all.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

20 hours? What a disappointment.  I thought Obsidian was better than that.  I guess not.  Well, there goes my enthusiasm for the game.  So, does this mean its a bargin bin game?  I think so.

Yeah, blame Lucasarts for KOTOR 2, blame Atari for NWN 2. And i think next time we will blame SEGA.

Yeah..And Troika is no more.

centinexx.png

Of course it did, Troika was great.

2010spaceships.jpg

So it is up tothe community to make up what Obsidian lacked?  That is uber lame.

Well, we still don't know NWN2 IS lacking. 20 good hours is better the 30 mediocre ones or 40 that is plainly 50% filler.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"Expansion probably went a long way too as those always increase gameplay value. "

no matter how you spin it, the expansions is abberrational if you blame on brand name or company or mp... 'cause who the hell buys the expansion if they didn't actually enjoy the core game, regardless of d&d logo or bioware name... and as for the mp aspects selling the expansions...

less than 10%.  maybe some folks thought that mp would be super groovy when nwn were released, but how could they be tricked into buying the expansions?

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

I'm not trying to spin anything, that was more speculation. :-