Mario Power-Up Prank, Bomb squad called.

sega-soldier

Ohio girls face potential charges for joke after bomb squad is called; teenagers made life-size Mario power-up boxes, hung them around town.

Games have gotten some kids in trouble again, but this time it's a far cry from the Devin Moore case, which continues to make headlines. This time the source of the problem wasn't an M-rated game like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas or Doom, it was the seemingly innocuous Super Mario Bros.

In the town of Ravenna, Ohio, five teenage girls, ages 16 and 17, crafted some life-sized power-up boxes modeled after those in the NES classic. The cardboard boxes were covered in shiny, gold wrapping paper and had the black question marks familiar to most gamers. As an April Fools joke, the girls laid 17 of these boxes around the town in public spaces Friday morning.

The humor was lost on some residents, however. After noticing one package on the steps of a church, a concerned citizen reported the "suspicious package" to local authorities, who called in the county's hazardous materials unit and the bomb squad.

Upon further inspection, no materials designed to harm people, mushrooms to increase a person's size, or flowers that bestow the ability to project bouncing fireballs were found inside the boxes. The packages were empty.

Ravenna Police Chief Randall McCoy told the online edition of the Record-Courier that one girl came into the police department with one of her parents and claimed responsibility, saying it was just a joke.

Apparently, the girls got the idea from the Web site Quantz.com, which gives detailed instructions on how to make the boxes. The Web site intended the posting to inspire art projects, and several subversive artists have submitted photos of their Mario blocks in action across the country.

The girls face possible criminal charges for their actions. While most in the online community think the authority's actions are a tad extreme, McCoy defends the proceedings of his department.

"The potential is always present when dealing with a suspicious package that it could be deadly," McCoy told the Record-Courier. "In today's day and age, you just cannot do this kind of stuff."

A posting on Quantz.com responds to the incident in Ravenna. "Not everyone has the same cultural context and not everyone is relaxed about public spaces. [The idea of the project] is to bring a smile to people's faces, to get them to connect with their neighbors, to bring color into an otherwise grey urban landscape. [We] are deeply sorry that things are not working out in Ravenna."

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot

Posted Apr 3, 2006 3:21 pm PT

marioscreen0019mv.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6147012.html?tag=nl.e513

Edited by sega-soldier

Paranoid is the word

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I give it two more years before video game stores become somthing akin to adult stores.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So we can't go around the place putting boxes every where?

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Well, at least not in rural ohio. :o

I'm so going to do that next year though... :-"

That is evidence that you are planning on doing it, and you are aware of the trouble it causes. When you go to court, this will be evidence.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The border of Mexico?!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

If they should press charges against anyone, it would be the idiot who called them in as suspicious packages

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, at least not in rural ohio. :x

I'm so going to do that next year though... :-"

That is evidence that you are planning on doing it, and you are aware of the trouble it causes. When you go to court, this will be evidence.

Well in that case I totally didn't see this posting and I am totally not aware of any trouble that leaving powerup boxes lying around town would cause.

Edited by Fenghuang

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

What a joke. The whiners who wnat to charge the girls are absolutely pathetic.

But someone could have been killed! Oh wait...never mind.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

If they should press charges against anyone, it would be the idiot who called them in as suspicious packages

Nice idea, Kaftan, you big doofus. The things probably did look suspicious. It's really funny until someone actually puts a bomb in the damned things.

However, I don't think the children should be punished for this action. If it didn't constitute a crime at the time, it shouldn't be treated as such. Furthermore, if it is a crime to place these objects around town, is it a crime to decorate a Christmas tree? After all, every ornament is a potential bomb. We have to be careful to protect ourselves from the fervor of the moment. The issue is more important than taking a knee jerk reaction. Just because we're starting with Mario boxes doesn't mean it will end there.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Is littering a crime?

You can get an on the spot fine for it here. Think it comes under anti social behaviour or something.

They only explode when you headbutt them anyway so as long as no one does that :D

It dosnt look like they meant any harm by it so going overboard in punishing them dosnt really help anyone.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

In terms of being overly severe in the punishment, this reminds me of that one case where a little girl threw a snowball at a friend, who ducked, and accidentally hit a patrol car that happened to be passing by. The cop got out and put the little 9 or 11 year-old in hand cuffs, took her down to the police station, and brought her up on charges, printed her, the works. She was sobbing the whole time!

Or that 2nd grader who threw a tantrum, hitting her teacher a couple times with little girl punches...the prinicple called the god damn cops. They arrived and restrained the girl, putting her in cuffs while she's crying for her mother...they printed her for god sakes.

I don't know what's going on in the country with law-enforcement and minors, but it's getting a tad bit ridiculous. That and it's majorly pissing me off.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

In terms of being overly severe in the punishment, this reminds me of that one case where a little girl threw a snowball at a friend, who ducked, and accidentally hit a patrol car that happened to be passing by. The cop got out and put the little 9 or 11 year-old in hand cuffs, took her down to the police station, and brought her up on charges, printed her, the works. She was sobbing the whole time!

I've actually done this. I guess it was about a year ago. I was up in Tahoe with some friends from Church, we were on a skiing trip and the Bible Study leader had the hookup with some friends who had a cabin. It was night time and the police for the tiny little residential area had pulled up and were bitching out my friend saying our cars were 'too far out into the street'. I couldn't hear any of this because I'd walked down the hill with him with the sole intent of lobbing snowballs at him from the bank above the cars. I couldn't see that it was a patrol car in the dark either (up in the mountains, fairly rural, no lights really) and as he was pulling away I lobbed the first in a production line of snowballs at my friend. It sailed just over his shoulder and hit the side of the car. All I heard was the cop cussing after that.

My friend explained that I 'wasn't quite right in the head' and the cop left though. Law enforcement people are so uptight. It was just a friggin' snowball. :wub:

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Nice idea, Kaftan, you big doofus. The things probably did look suspicious. It's really funny until someone actually puts a bomb in the damned things.

You know what Im going to do the day Al-Qaeda puts a bomb in a homemade Supermario Bros. powerup box? Im going to eat my shoe... now wait, Im going to eat ALL my shoes.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "