Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

We already know one :x"

On the Oblivionfront: Got rid of my non-existant bounty by paying nothing to the Thieves Guild...

And that's about all the Oblivion I could play

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

SS strikes me as more of a Masochist, working for Bethesda and all. :x

And on topic...why can't I just play a character to fruition? I have to keep going back and making new ones just because the urge to do so hits me. I haven't gotten past Lvl. 18. With 5 characters so far.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

After 16 hours of dungeon-hacking, i finally decided to get on with the main quest, only wonder off to Chorrel and join the fighter's guild :x

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm not putting people down, I'm simply responding in the same manner by which I'm being addressed.  Which is why some posts are different than others.

I'm not going off my "experience", I'm going off how Oblivion is coded.

My qualifications are moot, so whether I'm a high school janitor, or Pete Hines himself it doesn't change the fact that what I've said is the truth.

It's a shame you are completely wrong then isnt it. At a certain level everyone dosnt suddenly start wearing certain armour. And since I've had dwarvish armour drop from a random maurader at level 6 while most other mauraders are wearing iron with a few bits of steel here and there. The list means nothing.

Perhaps if you had the experience you claimed you had you would realise that.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm not putting people down, I'm simply responding in the same manner by which I'm being addressed.  Which is why some posts are different than others.

I'm not going off my "experience", I'm going off how Oblivion is coded.

My qualifications are moot, so whether I'm a high school janitor, or Pete Hines himself it doesn't change the fact that what I've said is the truth.

You had presented your knowledge and the logical assumptions based on them. Others had presented their conclusions based on their experiences. The two obviously conflict: my point is that you then simply say, well, the other person must be wrong, because there is no way you could be. Yet empirical evidence is more telling than a logical assessment of the code in this instance.

For example, I'm level 17 and I still see Fur, but I also see Elven and Dwarven. Glass is still a replica. It might also be said that, at least for weapons, you could come across 50 billion Elven War Axes of Uber and still not be useful to your Blade / Marksman character - I've found about 2 powerful magical bows so far, but about 10 blunts with better properties. Just because you "unlock" a particular set doesn't mean you are gifted the items: you have to get out into the dungeons, and do it a fair amount until you get the items you can and do use.

I agree with Tigranes. I mean, I like the game, but some folks have different experiences. Arguing from a code point of view can only get you so far. The idea is that, no matter what the spread is, the player should have fun. Hell, I've found odd assortments of armour and I'm level... 23? somewhere around there.

Anyhow, the big thing is that the game is still appealing to enough folks to make it popular. I have a hard time taking my Hassat friend seriously, but Tigranes and SP don't seem like their going out of their way to pick a fight or grind an axe. In fact, while his endorsement has lacked enthusiasm, SP have been favorable on the balance.

Yes, my experiences in playing the game are more legitimate than assessing the code. Code doesn't always work as intended. Only actual experience in playing the game makes a difference. Some folks cite things that are uncommon, and sadly some are probably completely fabricated, but some of these experiences are shared across a broad spectrum of uses on this board.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

You mean, like spears and crossbows?

In any case, it's Bethesda's business model. If there's profit to be made and idiots will shell out money for it, there's no incentive to do otherwise. The trend isn't new. You can already buy items or whatever crap in other games already.

You can whine about it or sue Bethesda, I guess.

Brilliant. I had almost forgot we live a world where there are only extremes, and there must never be more than two options. Thank you so much for reminding me. So, since a lawsuit is extremely unlikely to be successful, and expressing contempt for business practices and discouraging others from giving into them must surely be whining...

Waah?

BTW, charging for video game items is still a new practice in the scheme of things. You make it sound as if it's been a standard practice since Pac-Man. Nice job not giving any examples of older games that did it though.

Edited by StillLife

BTW, charging for video game items is still a new practice in the scheme of things.  You make it sound as if it's been a standard practice since Pac-Man.  Nice job not giving any examples of older games that did it though.

I think some MMPORGs have been doing it for a while and MMPORG players certainly have since UO days at the least. I think it's the first time I've heard of someone trying to charge for content so soon after the game was released though.

Sales of Oblivion been disapointing or something ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Oh, it's just the usual nonsense of folks speculating about the lackluster sales of a game. It's almost like a sharks feeding frenzy, these discussions where folks argue who's game didn't sell as well as some other fellow thought it should or some such. Confuses the hell out of me.

Anyhow, I have a question:

I finished the Arch-Mage quest and now I am the head of the Mages' Guild. My question is, will the stuff I stuck in my own damned chest remain intact? I Kept the King of Worms robes and staff as a memento, as well as Traven's robes. I don't want my stuff to get lost in the shuffle. Anyone know if the dressers and such reset in the Arch-Mage's personal chamber?

Speaking of the Arch-Mage quest, it's as good a quest as I've seen in any CRPG. Sure, it took a little while to get into it, but I was quite happy with it. It wasn't very hard, with one small exception, but I'll save that just in case I decide to join the review mania.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I think I saw my first obvious example of the Radiant AI yesterday. I was fighting in Oblivion, trying to close one of the portals (just for fun, because I happen to think it's fun) when I ran into one of those Dremora mages. We were on top of the portal tower and there were several of those red teleporters there. Anyhow, I ran up to the mage and started smacking him with my sword, and he summoned one of his beasties. Nothing new so far. But then he suddenly ran into a teleporter and teleported away! I didn't see which teleporter he chose, so I stayed and sliced his summon to pieces instead. The instant the summon died, the mage teleports back, summons yet another (even stronger) creature and teleports away again! This time I see which teleporter he chooses so I follow him, only to have him teleport away again the second he sees me. When I teleport back, he is hiding behind his huge summoned beast. I finally beat him up, but that was one of the best fights so far in Oblivion for me.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

BTW, charging for video game items is still a new practice in the scheme of things.  You make it sound as if it's been a standard practice since Pac-Man.  Nice job not giving any examples of older games that did it though.

I think some MMPORGs have been doing it for a while and MMPORG players certainly have since UO days at the least. I think it's the first time I've heard of someone trying to charge for content so soon after the game was released though.

Sales of Oblivion been disapointing or something ?

Horse armour *was* promised for the day after release for quite a while, though. It's actually late.

Classic case of damned if they do and damned if they don't. Okay, StillLife hates sales of extended online content. I think that ship has sailed, but I respect his position. What I don't like is that the same thing is take either as evidence that the sales are disappointing or that the developer dropped the ball by taking too long. Come on. It's ridiculous.

It's a complete shame that they intentionally withheld horse skins only to charge the players later. ...But that's the nature of a capitalistic society. The nature of a non-capitalistic society is the lack of incentive to create games in the first place. So I'll take my chances with these damnable horse skins.

The biggest shame of all are the the horses themselves. What the hell was Bethesda thinking? I honestly hate the damned things. I guess I'm fixating on the horses, but I've always figured that things like horses were just some bone of contention for a very vocal minority who think that we should have workable toasters and a tea service in every game. I always assume that things like horses take away from other design items that might make more sense. For example, tweak the physics a bit and include a better interface than this silly z thing. (As an aside, thanks for the info, Kaftan.)

Now, maybe if I knew where to score that unicorn that mkreku has, I might, might like horses a bit more. For the time being, I just hate them.

Obsidian Plays

Now, maybe if I knew where to score that unicorn that mkreku has, I might, might like horses a bit more.  For the time being, I just hate them.

Had. The unicorn was never fully tamed, it seems, and one day he finally fell after a violent battle with the town guards. :wub:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yeah, the crux of the matter is that the horses suck, with or without armour. :blink: In fact, after seeing them I'd move for NWN2 to kill horses too, unless they put mounted combat back.

I like it when enemies completely ignore you to instead charge right by you and onto your poor horse. Especially bandits.

"Theres that bloody Cheydinal Black horse again, thinking hes better than us. Ill show him a thing or two! Raaargh!!"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Shadowmir might be more your style.

Problem I had with horses was how I kept getting stuck against either a piece of scenery or an attacking creature. I'm sure you could fight from horseback in Daggerfall.

478327[/snapback]

Adventures of the Hassat Hunter- Part III;

You've got several types of Hero's. The mighty fighter, the intelligent mage, the sneaky thief, the holy paladin... but no, the fate of Cyrodiil was on the shoulders of a sucky (really! because he is a Vampire) whining/bitching cat. Poor people of Tamriel.

Anyways, since this cat decided he wanted to suck less he started the Vampire Cure quest and he came to the Castle of Skingrad. Having done his misschief there he decided to visit the small town of Skingrad. And the population knew that that happened. They still live in fear he might return and still hold horror-stories of his visit. But only now did they find that report of the cat itself on his visit to Skingrad. A report filled (as usual) with whine and errors... here it goes:

Yes. I had turned into a vampire. Sucky did I became (more so than before) and I had to feed myself on the Bums in order to be able to keep walking around in sunlight. Just standing and waiting around in Sunlight did not harm me... but walking in it (or standing around WITHOUT waiting) was very painfull. For a cure I was being led to the small town of Skingrad. After a visit in the prison for feeding on the guard and the meeting of some inhabitants I was set to go. But first I decided to check out that little village. After all they told me an Inn-goer could tell me a bit more about the Nirnrootplant there. And being an explorer, I just HAD to check it out.

It started right away. After entering the city I found a bum. Compassionate as I am I gave him some gold and then asked if he could feed me some rumors. What do you think? He spend Loads of gold to train using shields. WHAT? So, he was no bum after all :o. For some strange reason I could not inform the guards of this imposter though and dealing with him myself would cause trouble with those same guards, so I decided to continue my journey. I decided to enter the first house I could, and that appeared to be a guards-house. In the house I found one guard sitting on ground level, and 2 sleeping. Feeding time I thought, and this time without an arrest (the guards in the Castle where protected by 2 awake guards; and here the awake guard was WAY out of sight). Wrong! While all the NPC's I have met so far would keep sleeping when bitten and don't move a muscle our

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

I'm really surprised they are charging PC users for the mods. I kinda get it on the Xbox, although I think Live should just be a bit more and everything except full games should be free. I actually bought the armor on my 360, but that's because I had the extra points lying around. I'm still using Prior Maybell's horse, so now she looks fancy.

I'm a bit surprised by all the horse complaints. I think it's rather realistic how they move. At least it isn't just like putting on fast shoes, like in many other RPG's. It feels awkward...like you are sitting on a horse.

I'm really surprised they are charging PC users for the mods.  I kinda get it on the Xbox, although I think Live should just be a bit more and everything except full games should be free.  I actually bought the armor on my 360, but that's because I had the extra points lying around.  I'm still using Prior Maybell's horse, so now she looks fancy.

I'm a bit surprised by all the horse complaints.  I think it's rather realistic how they move.  At least it isn't just like putting on fast shoes, like in many other RPG's.  It feels awkward...like you are sitting on a horse.

I think the Collosus horse felt much more horselike. Although I dont mind the riding. I do mind the getting stuck on the horse and being torn appart without being able to fight back.

478327[/snapback]

I was to follow Person X. Just to get to person X on the right time I slept. This caused Vampire+ and thus Sun Burn. Lucky me had to follow person X around outside for many hours in full sunlight (couldn't stop; since that would *likely* end the quest with a failure) and thus I melted... :sorcerer:

(Special note: I slept 2 hours and just before that I bit somebody hoping it would prevent this... it didn't)

Meh, I will retry some time later, but this time I don't sleep/wait but just do something till Quest Time...

(Query: Why does EVERY sleep/wait give me Vampire+? I rarely wish to wait/sleep now unless I am in a city at night (people to bite available then)

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I was to follow Person X. Just to get to person X on the right time I slept. This caused Vampire+ and thus Sun Burn. Lucky me had to follow person X around outside for many hours in full sunlight (couldn't stop; since that would *likely* end the quest with a failure) and thus I melted...  :sorcerer:

Meh, I will retry some time later, but this time I don't sleep/wait but just do something till Quest Time...

I thought finding the vampire cure while resisting the urge to feed was one of the more interesting parts of the game. It took me longer to find the "common" elements than the rare ones.

478327[/snapback]

I thought finding the vampire cure while resisting the urge to feed was one of the more interesting parts of the game. It took me longer to find the "common" elements than the rare ones.

I am not that far into the Cure quest; but why do all NPC's needed (so far) for this quest be unavailable during Night Time? :sorcerer:

Starting to get pretty annoying having to

1) Wait before the person arrives

2) After that wait before you can leave the place again

In the meanwhile getting Vampire+ for both 1 and 2 if not maxxed already...

EDIT: PS; In the Skingrad Fighters Guild: The display-case is totally empty. Isn't that sword and the Dwarven Ceremonial Shield supposed to be in there?

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^