Why do you hate YOUR country

Meshugger

Life is a Journey, not a Destination. :-

But I rather not waste it becuase when you're dead, you're dead.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

So you'd rather spend time moaning, then exploring? Okay ... :blink:

No I rather not waste my life looking for something I can't find. Moaning doesn't take as long any way.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

It isn't specific to my country, but i hate it when people passionately argue politics loudly in public while pretending that they know everything there is to know about the subject.

So you'd rather spend time moaning, then exploring? Okay ... :ermm:

No I rather not waste my life looking for something I can't find. Moaning doesn't take as long any way.

I don't think meta meant for you to be just search. I think he also meant to enjoy the means of life, because the ends are to few and far inbetween to really matter all that much. To sum it up, live for the moment more because thats all there is.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Canada

1- Multiparty political system : Some ex-lawyer gets elected to power with 20% of the voters because 10 other ex-lawyers were also in the run. 80% of the population doesn't want him there but hey, thats Canada.

2- The corruption or rather the fact that the Liberals are still in the top 2 favorite parties even after the sponsorship "scandal" thingy.

3- The propaganda on CBC and CTV.

4- The weather is horrible. Winter begins in September and ends in May. We don't get that much snow anymore, most of it is freezing rain.

5- Kids don't get to play anymore. Too many restrictions to "keep them safe". Thats just crap.

6- Gays are way too present in our media. So you are gay. So what. Make love to your partner and get over it!

7- The narrowminded French-Canadians who want sovereignty at any cost and don't accept any anglophone "way". I'm French-Canadian and I say bilingualism all the way!

8- Our army, if you can call it that.

9- Biker gangs.

10- Our borders that let anyone in instead of the country promoting natality to younger people in order to properly populate the country for future generations.

What I love the most about Canada is the still enduring wilderness.

Does anyone here know what New-Zealand is like(seriously please, no LotR jokes thank you)?

Yes. Anything specific you want to know ?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Does anyone here know what New-Zealand is like(seriously please, no LotR jokes thank you)?

Yes. Anything specific you want to know ?

I'd like to know about the job market for one thing. And the housing, what types, what are the rent costs on average for a 5 1/2. Are the people hectic like in North Americrap or are they more relaxed. How is the weather and how big are the climate changes during the years, what is the immigration policy like?

I have answers for all these questions from websites but since those are usually somewhat promotional in nature, I'd like to have opinions from "normal" people who have actually been there or are living there right now. Or links to websites with more objective information.

I'd like to know about the job market for one thing. And the housing, what types, what are the rent costs on average for a 5 1/2. Are the people hectic like in North Americrap or are they more relaxed. How is the weather and how big are the climate changes during the years, what is the immigration policy like?

I have answers for all these questions from websites but since those are usually somewhat promotional in nature, I'd like to have opinions from "normal" people who have actually been there or are living there right now. Or links to websites with more objective information.

Different rules might apply for different nationalities, but as a Dane and EU citizen, I had little trouble getting a visa and work permit.

There is currently a shortage of skilled workers, especially higher education/technology types.

If you are on one of those shortage lists, getting a work permit is usually just a formality. One thing to keep in mind though, the first two years of your stay are covered by different rules. No public health care amongst others. If you want/intend to stay more than two years, you have to go through a thorough health check. If you want to apply for permanent residency, you have to go through more hoops, but I never really bothered as I knew Australia was up next for me.

People have between 3 and 4 weeks of annual paid leave, depending on where you work.

Housing depends on the part of the country you are in. The climate up north is sub tropical (like southern/Mediterranean Europe) whereas the south is more temperate (like northern Europe).

I lived in Wellington for some years (in the middle of the country) and temperatures went from 20-25 degrees in summer to around 10 degrees in winter (Celcius). Generally a mild climate without warm or cold excesses.

One thing I had a hard time getting used to was the lack of insulation in the appartments. No double glasses or central heating either. I was sure I was going to die from hypothermia in my appartment the first "winter" :lol:

A two bedroom furnitured appartment in the middle of Wellington was approx 930$ (USD) a month. Again, your mileage may vary depending on city/region.

As for the kiwis themselves (yes, they *do* use that term)...

I can't really think of a more relaxed, laid back bunch of people. Generally very nice, helpful people with a distinct lack of urgency in most things they do. If we don't do it now, we'll do it when we get it done type mentality.

That also too a while for me to adjust to, showing up at meetings on time give or take 3 seconds and then, sometimes people would show up 3 minutes later, sometimes 15 minutes later. All in good time :(

National pastimes include cheering for the All Blacks (the rugby national side), especially when they stomp the Wallabies (the Aussies) or the Boks (South Africa). Besides rugby, cricket is the game of choice (although they don't do particularly well these days).

You can get most beers and quite an assortment of local wines (either kiwi or Australian produced).

They have public healthcare systems and some social security, although you are usually better off having private insurance.

Oh, and they are very proud of their small country, not at least because of a breathtakingly beautiful nature and a flourishing movie industry.

Careful at the customs when entering the country though. The DoC (Department of Conservation) is the kiwi equivalent of your DEA and CIA combined. The have specially trained sniffer dogs that can sniff out traces of food, even in a fabric bag that was used to carry lunch in, more than a year ago. Even trying to smuggle one of the little airplane food thingies into the country will result in heavy fines, payable immediately and/or deportation). They guard their unique eco system very carefully.

The only thing I really missed was more "international" cultural events, like concerts, shows etc. from overseas performers. Heck, a U2 concert almost resulted in a stampede and a civil war in the fights to get tickets :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Not much love for the fatherland there, huh Astro?  :(

Well, I've always thought of Canada as one of the better countries to live in. However I've had a hard time for a long time here so I seriously need a change of scenery.

I want to move as far away as possible for many reasons that are all personal and that I will not describe here.

And Gorth, thanks a lot for the info. I'll copy/paste it for future reference.

If anyone has more to tell about NZ, please PM me.

Thanks.

I sympathies, I sometimes want to leave as well but for much more trivial reasons, such as the price of cars... as for your reasons, they are of course yours alone. :wub:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

So you'd rather spend time moaning, then exploring? Okay ... :blink:

I don't think meta meant for you to be just search. I think he also meant to enjoy the means of life, because the ends are to few and far inbetween to really matter all that much. To sum it up, live for the moment more because thats all there is.

I can agree with that.