Features that annoy you.

All three from Lunar:Dragon Song.

1. Running consuming hp's. Granted if HP is stamina it makes sense, but crawling around is still annoying.

2. Choosing between items and experience.... It's just annoying period.

3. Not being able to target individual monsters !!!! Either Jian does a 3 kick attack on a monster with 1 hp left, or everyone attacks a different monster meaning that everything is alive to counter attack you.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

1) older d&d games that had random hps or attributes.

dumb.

dumb, dumb, dumb.

the crazy thing is that we still sees support for it.

2) the seeming pre-req for having full vo.

ok, this is a beef we gots that might be complete bunk. we is simply assuming that full vo is pretty expensive. we hate to see so many development dollars spent on something that adds some small 'mount of flavor... and can sometimes help prop-up otherwise crappy dialogues with a good vo performance. more content and less vo.

3) the bug that made the kotor2 workbench pointless.... and similar things in other games.

yeah, 'cause who needs/wants balance.

4) modern fairytale endings.

as 'posed to russian fairytale endings. we not need or want everybody to die or be miserable, but the need for everybody to be hale and happy by closing credits irritates us.

is hardly a complete list.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Random encounters.

What do you mean by random encounters ?

You are running in a field of flowers. The screen jumbles and you must fight 3 monsters. You beat them.

You continue running, you make 5 steps, The screen jumbles and you must fight 3 monsters. You beat them.

You continue running, you make 5 steps, The screen jumbles and you must fight 3 monsters. You beat them.

You continue running, you make 5 steps, The screen jumbles and you must fight 3 monsters. You beat them but your health is low and you are low on potions.

You continue running, toward a save point, you make 5 steps, The screen jumbles and you must fight 3 monsters. You beat them but your health is low and you are low on potions.

You continue running, toward a save point, you make 5 steps, The screen jumbles and you must fight 3 monsters. You die.

Random encounters.

You are running in a field of flowers. The screen jumbles and you must fight 3 monsters. You beat them.

You continue running, you make 5 steps, The screen jumbles and you must fight 3 monsters. You beat them but your health is low and you are low on potions.

You continue running, toward a save point, you make 5 steps, The screen jumbles and you must fight 3 monsters. You beat them but your health is low and you are low on potions.

You continue running, toward a save point, you make 5 steps, The screen jumbles and you must fight 3 monsters. You die.

Random encounters.

Those used to annoy me too. Although only Shin Megami has an encounter rate that I would call annoying now. That game was only bearable because I happened to breed a demon which would lower the rate from every couple of steps.

There are a couple of reasons why they no longer annoy me. Even to the point of sticking a lure bracer on to up the rate.

I played Xnenosaga recently and that has monsters that appear on screen (rather than random) and the game just didnt have the same level of tension since you could wander around without any fear of being jumped.

The other reason is that from a purely RPG perspective random encounters are much more in character. While you can influence (or even eliminate them) when characters and monsters meet it's down to statistics and not cheaply sniping them from under the FOW (like in BG or IWD).

The added danger , as well as the emphasis on preparing (like buying enough potions) and not using all your magic points in the first encounter make them far more interesting. As well as those tense moments when your on your last legs and desperate to see a save point. It's a feeling you dont get in RPGs with critters on the map.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

ok, this is a beef we gots that might be complete bunk.  we is simply assuming that full vo is pretty expensive.  we hate to see so many development dollars spent on something that adds some small 'mount of flavor... and can sometimes help prop-up otherwise crappy dialogues with a good vo performance.  more content and less vo.

From what I've seen (on forums and such) VO is less costly than you'd think. I don't have any numbers, but I've read that it's actually a pretty marginal cost, which is why so many games does it.

Personally I love full VO, it adds so much athmosphere. And theoretically it should improve the writing as well (when your dialgoue is actually spoken you have to take more care), although ToEE proved that this does not have to be the case. That's a game that would have benefited from NO voiceacting.

ok, this is a beef we gots that might be complete bunk.  we is simply assuming that full vo is pretty expensive.  we hate to see so many development dollars spent on something that adds some small 'mount of flavor... and can sometimes help prop-up otherwise crappy dialogues with a good vo performance.  more content and less vo.

From what I've seen (on forums and such) VO is less costly than you'd think. I don't have any numbers, but I've read that it's actually a pretty marginal cost, which is why so many games does it.

Personally I love full VO, it adds so much athmosphere. And theoretically it should improve the writing as well (when your dialgoue is actually spoken you have to take more care), although ToEE proved that this does not have to be the case. That's a game that would have benefited from NO voiceacting.

if it is cheap, then strike it from our list.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

ok, add another to list...

ai control of party... 'cause there has not yet been ai control that caused anything save frustration. no matter how good the ai we always ends up wishing bloody murder 'pon the developers... or simply dump party mates.

HA! Good Fun!

ok, add another to list...

ai control of party... 'cause there has not yet been ai control that caused anything save frustration.  no matter how good the ai we always ends up wishing bloody murder 'pon the developers... or simply dump party mates.

HA! Good Fun!

Ditto

AI control is a group of individuals, not a party. You only have to look at how a very solid group of EQ players works together to see just how far removed AI control is.

478327[/snapback]

I concur with much of the above (random encounters, AI controled NPCs, rolled stats, happily-ever-afterness), so I'll just add a thing or two.

Ridiculous power progressions. Nearly every RPG I've played starts out with the characters barely able to tell which end of the sword to pick up, and ends with them as the most powerful beings on the face of the gameworld. This transformation usually takes place over the course of a few mere months. I understand that this is a convention of the genre, and that the player has to feel some sense of progress, but doing so with boatloads of stat increases just covers weaknesses in the story-based character motivation.

Vibrating controllers. I understand the desire to add a tactile dimension to the visual and auditory immersion in a game. But partial tactile immersion by having my hands shake when the bomb goes off just emphasizes that the rest of me didn't feel any effect. It is ultimately destructive of immersion.

Also, high-end graphics that cause my ancient video card to weep.

If I were feeling particularly snarky, I'd say multiplayer in non-sports/racing/fighting games. But that's really more of a preference in the games I buy than an annoyance.

One of the problems with VO is the inability to refer to a character by name (if that choice is left to the player).

Either you do it by title, so your best friends are calling you The Exile for the whole game. Or everyone is calling you "you know who" since they dont know what you were called in the prequel.

Or you do it by a selection from a known list (like an expanded version of the Fable system for example being called Arse Face) everyone would then refer to you as such in VO.

Naming of the protagonist in a VO game dosnt really work as a consequence. Which is why most of them come with names these days (like Varn).

478327[/snapback]

One of the problems with VO is the inability to refer to a character by name (if that choice is left to the player).

Either you do it by title, so your best friends are calling you The Exile for the whole game. Or everyone is calling you "you know who" since they dont know what you were called in the prequel.

Or you do it by a selection from a known list (like an expanded version of the Fable system for example being called Arse Face) everyone would then refer to you as such in VO.

Naming of the protagonist in a VO game dosnt really work as a consequence. Which is why most of them come with names these days (like Varn).

It worked ok in NWN.

Mini games >_

Real time, where real time doesn't add anything except a twitch dimension for the sake of adding a twitch dimension to a game. If you don't have the attention span for a game, buy a fps game :-"

Voice overs just for the sake of adding voice overs. If you can't do it well, then it just detracts from the game (I swear, I'll skip the next game released with Jennifer Hale in it!)

Porting console controls to the most awkward keyboard layouts possible... what happened to combined mouse and keyboard controls.

The mysterious shrinking of game levels. Not sure if it was just something that happened from Red Faction to Red Faction 2 or a more widespread thing, but boy the sequel sucked (I've been told, but not verified, that Unreal 2 was the same thing compared to Unreal) <_>

;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The mysterious shrinking of game levels. Not sure if it was just something that happened from Red Faction to Red Faction 2 or a more widespread thing, but boy the sequel sucked (I've been told, but not verified, that Unreal 2 was the same thing compared to Unreal)  <_<

DX and DX:IW

The nightmares >_<

Bad features:

Dumbing down games to please the "general gamer"... or to make them fit for consoles

... or to make them fit for consoles

If that is the case why do console RPGs have such complex game mechanics ?

PC RPGs were never complex, nothing much has changed in that respect.

478327[/snapback]