If you're not doing anything wrong, why worry?

metadigital

Houston Police Chief Wants Cameras in Homes

Posted by Zonk on Saturday February 18, @06:35AM

from the would-be-funnier-if-it-wasn't-true dept.

An anonymous reader writes "In one of the most blatant and frightening statements made on privacy, the Associated Press reports that Houston's police chief wants surveillance cameras in apartment buildings and even private homes. Chief Harold Hurtt wants building permits to require cameras in shopping malls and large apartment complexes. He also wants them in private homes if the homeowner has called the police repeatedly. So, if you're in Houston, don't call the cops too much, or they might install a camera the next time they show up. And what does Hurtt have to say about privacy concerns? 'I know a lot of people are concerned about Big Brother, but my response to that is, if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?'"

Reference

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Shopping Malls often do have cameras, and I think that's fine. For the apartment cameras, are you sure he didn't mean in the common areas? Also, if someone is on probation, a camera in the house doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Eh, the guy is just a police chief, that's not going to lead to any laws being passed.

That copper must actually read 1984 (or maybe had someone read it to him ...) to be able to make such a perfect Big Brother quote ...

... only in America ... I hope! :blink:

Meta, If the US gets to that point... I give you permission to press the button.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

If such a policy is implemented and allowed to remain, we will be America no longer. Only in America? Never! Never in America.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm not exactly a violent person, but were something like this instituted on a national level, I'd be having a little talk with my government. You know, the kind of talk that involves crossfire.

Not acceptable. This is America, damn it.

I may be young, and people always say my age bracket doesn't appreciate their freedom, but I know full well the extent of the difference between the U.S. and say, WWII era Germany. If it came to it, I'd be right on the front lines defending that freedom.

Those kids overseas aren't dieing for this kind of bull****.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

RLY!

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

I say "only in America", but the truth is that the home of Eric Arthur Blair (a.k.a. George Orwell) is sleep-walking towards 1984. Already there are thousands of Closed-Circuit Television camera monitoring roads, malls, railway stations, commercial premises, etc, etc, etc.

The home is the last place; it only takes one big initiative like this "to protect us", and it'll be too late to do anything. It won't be the government that brings the legislation in, it'll be a latter one, that uses it to suffocate the free society once and for all ... Orwell would be spinning in his smoking-induced, early grave. :'(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

America is already close to being called a policestate in my book.. and as you say it won't be long until it's a true totalitarian state...

But probably only for a generation or two, then the population will rebel .. countless millions around the world will die .. and voila a Renaissance!

Fortune favors the bald.

. And what does Hurtt have to say about privacy concerns? 'I know a lot of people are concerned about Big Brother, but my response to that is, if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?'" [/i]

A true authoritarian classic :blink:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

. And what does Hurtt have to say about privacy concerns? 'I know a lot of people are concerned about Big Brother, but my response to that is, if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?'" [/i]

A true authoritarian classic :blink:

Makes my blood run a bit colder...

- Everlast

America is already close to being called a policestate in my book.. and as you say it won't be long until it's a true totalitarian state...

But probably only for a generation or two, then the population will rebel .. countless millions around the world will die .. and voila a Renaissance!

I'm curious...how do you define "police state" in your book? Despite having local yocals from Houston spouting off about Camaera's in homes, the overwhelming majority of Americans, including our politicians, would never allow that to happen. As a nation we have our shortcomings, as does every nation, but to say we're anywhere near a "police state" or a "true totaliterian" state is ridiculus.

I also find it interesting that the comments of a local Police Chief somehow become represenative of the federal governments feelings on the issue. That's like assuming how I feel about the death penalty if indicative of how the Governor of the state of Maryland feels about it.

"I'm god. I may not be 'The God', but I'm definately a god." - Ground Hog's Day

Visit: http://www.paulvomero.com/

I'm curious...how do you define "police state" in your book? Despite having local yocals from Houston spouting off about Camaera's in homes, the overwhelming majority of Americans, including our politicians, would never allow that to happen. As a nation we have our shortcomings, as does every nation, but to say we're anywhere near a "police state" or a "true totaliterian" state is ridiculus.

I also find it interesting that the comments of a local Police Chief somehow become represenative of the federal governments feelings on the issue. That's like assuming how I feel about the death penalty if indicative of how the Governor of the state of Maryland feels about it.

now don't go and get all reasonable in the middle of a rant thread... that just won't be tolerated.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, I don't know if you guys heard about thins, but there was this one government website, that if you visited it, it would download a cookie to see everything you look at on the internet, with out your knowledge of it.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

With Kings, knights and all such? (w00t)

That would...ermm...WILL be great :D

Hungary will have a new chance to become a super-power, and i think Denmark, Finnland and England too :p

IB1OsQq.png

This is what always scared me about 1984. I've always felt it can still happen.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

No seriously. We have nothing whatsoever to worry about, the state just wants to keep everyone safe and unterrorist-y.

Its like if I point a gun to your face. As long as youre not planning to do anything fishy which might make me have to pull the trigger you shouldnt be worried. But if you ARE worried, that means that you ARE planning to do something fishy and THEN Ill have to shoot you :("

see? simple logic.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It isn't as much you doing something wrong, as it is some one thinking you are or might do something wrong, and when that is the default setting, to assume you are doing something wrong, it is a lot easier to see something wrong happening when there isn't anything. Happening.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.