New NWN 2 Info

Rhomal

The first disappointment.

Still better to find out now than after the release.

I don't understand, is this really that hard to code?

Yes, it is not a small undertaking.

I don't understand, is this really that hard to code?

Yes, it is not a small undertaking.

Hmm, I'm no programming expert, but couldn't this be done similarly to the Infinity Engine games' implementation? For example, by creating a new class, specifically intended for a paladin that has fallen. A script could automatically replace a paladin's levels with "fallen paladin" levels when he violates his code of conduct. This new class would function identically to the regular paladin class in terms of hit points, BAB, skill and feat selection, but without the class features (i.e. smite evil, lay on hands...) of a true paladin.

Such a fallen paladin could either regain his normal paladin class levels by atoning for his transgressions, or he could permanently exchange his fallen paladin levels for Blackguard levels if he decides to become a Blackguard at level 11 or higher. Does this sound feasible?

Exactly.  If I need to get around quickly, I'll use the map.  Can you imagine a 64 player map with everyone on horses?  It'd get old very fast.

Actually, I can. And it doesn't get old to have 100 player races where everyone tries to reach some goal first, with everyone and their horses jumping over each other to gain an advantage. Great fun! I've been part of this in World of Warcraft. Even travelling is fun when you have mounts!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

for me, it is all about immersion and story....I remember playing the Third Age game and getting a Rider of Rohan as a party member....his cutscreens have him on horse but if you ever use him in combat, well, he fights on foot (he still has his horseman's lance!).

I, personally, would have preferred that he be on horse, even a "generic" horse that cannot die, has no attacks, has no personality, and has no shadows. IMO, that would have been better than the disconnect.

No matter the DnD campaign my character always had a horse or some form of riding animal.  There are so many things you can do with one in many situations, both in and out of combat.

Our DM was a mean bastard. No animals to ride, follow the rules strictly, sounds like someone I know BTW :luck: . We were lucky one time when our group could hitch a ride on a wagon heading into town. Yay!

You couldn't buy a horse? That sounds very stupid.

Depending on the cultural background of the character I would give them a horse, either a light warhorse or a normal riding horse. One of my players made a character who spend all his feats he got dealing with his horse. He took pretty much all the feats dealing with being mounted on a horse: Mounted Archery, Mount Combat, Ride By Attack, etc...

Edited by Judge Hades

NWN2 is based upon D20, D&D 3.5 and they don't like their sys to be changed a lot. So domain spells still going to be memorized alongside standard spells  :blink:

I think you completely misunderstood my post, or perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough. Either way, I'm quite aware of the 3.5E rules and their use in NWN2, and that is precisely why I was confused by this statement:

The domain system works almost identically to the original Neverwinter Nights.

AFAIK, domain spells are supposed to be memorized in their own separate slots, and not alongside regular cleric spells. However, this was not the case in NWN1, i.e. domain and regular spells were both memorized in regular cleric spell slots, plus many of the granted domain powers didn't follow the rules. So, a 16 WIS Cleric with the Magic domain could cast his (incorrectly placed) level 1 domain spell Mage Armor three times per day instead of just once at character level 1. And that's why I was wondering if they plan on re-using this approach which I consider poorly designed.

"but I've seen crappy horses in Sacred"

Hey, Sacred horses were awesomes! The game died a painful detah for me; but horses were kewl. In fact Sacred was one of the main reasons I was looking forward to NWN2's version of horses...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I remember having to dismount before every battle even to stand a chance. I can't remember exactly how it was disadvantaging my Battlemage in combat because I hate this game and have tried to forget, but the horses were a big disappointment. They were a cosmetic touch, but they seemed to die a lot and be more trouble than they were worth.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)