New NWN 2 Info

Rhomal

I think one of the arguments against a D&D game having mounted combat is the fact that D&D is, all told, a simplistic system and confined to certain rooms, etc.

Sorry, but in my experience this is not the case. In my experience in Dungeons and Dragons, in all its incarnations, horsemanship has been very important in the campaigns I have played in and the campaigns that I have ran. If you think that DnD is only about a ten by ten foot stone room with a kobold guarding a chest then you have been playing the wrong campaigns and under a very lame and unimaginative DM.

As long as the expectations fit the implementation, then I say fine.  For instance, WHFB gives mounted characters better movement and a +1 to the armor save (and, in some cases, the ability to use a lance on the charge, which increases strength by 2).  That's IT.  There is also no discernable difference between the mount and rider in WHFB (for the purposes of taking damage).

That isn't it. There are plenty of feats that a player can choose from to enhance and make good use of a horse and wholly implementable.

Mounted Combat

Mounted Archery

Ride by Attack

Spirited Charge

Trample

Also there are a number of manuevers on can do which can be made into feats, given that is how NWN works. Also when facing a greater number of enemies a horse can attack as well as its rider if the Riding skill is high enough.

Now that is, of course, how WHFB treats "normal mounts" or "normal cavalry".

MONSTROUS MOUNTS (those with more than 1 wound) are treated differently for the purposes of morale (leadership), wounds sustained, etc.

Horses are about immersion....mountrous mounts are, essentially, extra party members and do, in fact, increase the survivability of your party.

In the campaigns that I have been involved with a horse is no less important than monstrous mounts. In fact we never dealt with Monstrous mounts at all. Our various horses, from our light warhorse to my own heavy war horse was very much important to the group's survivablity.

Anyway, my point is that even if a horse only gives me a +1 to my armor save, better movement, and a +2 strength attack ONLY ON THE CHARGE, then I still think it is worth it.

You need to read up on horsemanship in DnD. It does more than that by a long freaking shot.

Hmmmm, A long task, but the engine structure is probably the reason for that, their is no reason they shouldn't have had horses in, unless their are some major engine based reasons, frankly I'm disappointed. It is actually something that it is possible to do and do well so it's sad that they haven't!

What's your exact thinking as to why they haven't?

Some of the reasons I can think of

1. extra animation sequences
  2. mounting with flowing cloaks
  3. mounting in different kinds of armor (clipping)
  4. implementaion of DnD rules for mounts messes up with legacy Aurora code
  5. limit on the average # of geometry on the screen (if player has a mount, it is reasonable that NPCs in game would have mounts)
  6. other features are higher on the list than mounts and the schedule is pressing

It is a big deal. They said there was going to be horses, and there damn well better be horses. Hold up to what you say you're going to do. If not than don't say you're going to add something or do something.

Once again... Odds are you will have horses... just cant mount them. No one is saying horses are cut from the game, just what you can do with them.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Having horses brings in realism to the game. You can get from point A to point B quickly by taking a horse.

You missed the part where nwn2 will have a world map I take it... :p

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Then it is worthless.

Its like having dragons in the game but you can't slay them.

I totally disagree. The ambiance horses have are very important. When building a village or castle its very fitting to have a couple horses as background ambiance.

Also you are then cutting out the horse model based monsters. unicorn, nightmare, pegasus.. etc.. So your solution is to throw the baby out with the bath water?

I personally like those monsters and be happy to have them even if I cant mount them.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

"They said there was going to be horses, and there damn well better be horses."

More importantly, they said there'd be rideable horses. Not maybe or whatever; but there would be rideable horses. Afterall, they stressed the fact that horses would be the *only* rideable creature in the initial release.

Rideable horses are kinda like sewers. They're not needed 100%; but they sure are nice to have. Of course, the horse thing is even worse than sewers because they never actually said sewers were in... LOL

"I think one of the arguments against a D&D game having mounted combat is the fact that D&D is, all told, a simplistic system and confined to certain rooms, etc."

Absolutely false. You obviously haven't played D&D. Confined to certain rooms? Are ya drunk?

As for mounted combat, D&D has lots of rules/guidelines for it... and, it's there for a reason.

"You missed the part where nwn2 will have a world map I take it..."

If the world map has a travel time, horses would still be valuable as they could be used to move quicker than walking.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

lol i heard NWN2 was supposed to be a DnD game, but then i found out it wasn't turn-based lol boycott

In comparison, these bells and whistles are irrelevant.

Horses aren't going to replace actual writing and dialogue. Sneak attack!

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

F**k horses, I want GRIFFINS!  :p

Agreed. Like...seriously. I'd love Obsidian like a large collective of parental figures if they did that. Good parental figures, the kind I would never stick in a retirement home, ever. They'd get maids, waiters, personal chefs and the like....and...and....they don't even care. :(

N...n....n....no horsies?  :'(

Wolves don't like horsies. :p

Not for riding anyway. :devil: ::sharpens fangs::

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast