Cell Phones

Jedihuh?

well do they? I for one don't see the neccesity for them and I sell the bloody things. We got along fine without them in the yesteryear Of saved by the bell.

I'll admnit i feel naked without my cell phone, but I definatly can live without it. Whats your take?

edit: spelling error in title

Edited by Jedihuh?

Cellphones are good. I use it to check my e-mail, check sports stats and the latest news. I use it in that fashion more than talk on it.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Due to the nature of my work and my schedule, I need it a lot and it was a problem when I didn't have one in the past.

Also, a month ago, my car broke down... The radiator cracked and had to call a friend of mine to literally pull the car to a garage... It was late night and my cellphone (thanks to God I had credits loaded) saved my freezin "lower back" parts that night (-15/20 C something)

So, yes they are necessary additions to our communication arsenal >_<

EDIT: typos.

Edited by magician

I have disorganised friends. I have a very changeable job. I need my cellphone, although I managed OK before I had it, I don't know how.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Having a cell phone is pretty useful, but there are a lot of options of especially the new models whose usefulness is questionable.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

Having a cell phone is pretty useful, but there are a lot of options of especially the new models whose usefulness is questionable.

Having a job where the jobsite changes multiple times over the day, it makes it very practical to have a celly.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Its like crack, you can go your whole life without it, but once you start you just can't drop the habit.

Note: The above statement could also be applied to Pringles

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I actually think we no longer need house phones. If you get a good cell phone plan, it's a better deal to just use that. Unfortunately reception is not perfect everywhere. My house actually has horrible reception, so we are forced to use a land line.

I also ignore my phone all the time. I think more people need to learn to do that. Of course, my wife calls 4 times a day, so that gives me a good reason to not pick up.

I have only owned a cell phone when my job required it. I have found the ability to be reached all the time more a hindrance then a benefit.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I usually just turn off my cellphone if I don't want to be reached.. I've always had an ambivalent relationship with technology.. On one hand I love how they can ease the burden from time to time .. but then I know how dependent we get on such attachments..

Fortune favors the bald.

so in a buisness situation they'er a good thing to have or so it seems other than that they annoy people? like I said i work for a cell phone company, and truth be told the majority of phones we cell are crap. Especially the LG's they have the most problems. I agree that I never thought I needed one untill I got one, now if I go an hour without it or just take a quick run to sev and forget it I feel naked. I own the motorola rokr, so far its done me good....to bad I work for a rival cell phone company

It's pretty funny, and instructive of the mentality of suits in marketing departments, that SMS was an afterthought; something to use up the little bit of bandwidth left in the first generation 'phones. (Hence the 152 character limit.)

It has become a cash cow: in Britain it generally costs over 5 pence per text: I can call other countries on voice calls for a minute for this!

I have, at times, gone without a mobile 'phone for months at a time. Right now I have the Sony 910e which I use as a PDA.

People have tended to use technology to make their lives easier: this has (merely) resulted in total lack of planning as a significant of calls are "I'm here!", or "Where are you?" and "We're all going to the pub, now."

It is sobering to reflect that something like 75% of the world's population have never made a telephone call at all.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Cell phone is one of those things you don
Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I definitely don't feel obliged to answer the phone when it rings.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What happened to all those "they'll cause you cancer" allegations? They just seemed to evapourate.

Rather strange - the science behind them was at least as sound as the science behind intelligent design.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

People have tended to use technology to make their lives easier: this has (merely) resulted in total lack of planning as a significant of calls are "I'm here!", or "Where are you?" and "We're all going to the pub, now."

I have to agree with that assessment and confess that unfortunately I fell prey to this. I was given a celular phone under the pretense that it would be helpful (not that it would make my life easier - to get that, I'd have to be blasted off the planet). And it really was useful during the first months but then it started to become more of a problem. The credit, the battery, having to lug it around, etc., and all for what basically amounted to the type of situations you describe.

However, I should also point out that in emergency situations it has been very helpful... But thankfully these haven't been many (except in some instances during the last years with relatives dropping like flies).

Edited by Role-Player