Winter Olympics

Delta Truth

I've tried to steer clear of the winter olympics since.. well since we don't do snow sports very well here. :luck:"

But this Fin vs Swe thing should be interesting, when is it due? And who should I root for? :D

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Scandinavia has, for right or wrong, been a term that increasingly (at least in the west) represents the Nordic countries.

Though the topic is definitely a disputed one.

I see it similar to people referring to the USA as America, or the UK as England.

The wikipedia talk page about it is quite the gong show.

Edited by alanschu

when is it due?

You could try looking two posts above your own. It's on at 8am in Canada, but I have no clue as to what time that would be in Denmark. And yes, I know I click on your profile to see your local time, but I'm lazy.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Geographical Scandinavia is the mountain range on the peninsula.

However when one says "Scandinavia" it is almost always in reference to the historically tied nations of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Although we see ourselves vastly different, we probably aren't. As we have both blood and languages in common (albeit it does takes a little practice to understand the other languages, especially when you take dialects, slang and how fast the individual speaks into account)

Add Finland and Iceland to the list and you'll have the Nordic countries.

Edit: There's also the Faroe islands of course, but they're still trapped as part of the realm. :cool:

Edited by Lucius

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I'm probably not going to watch the hockey final. If I do, then I'll root for a good game. I'm with everyone else, though. Figure skating shouldn't be judged so harshly folks feel compelled to risk tons of falling.

As an aside, maybe my Russian friend didn't understand. I'm not saying Russians are swinehearted. Only the specific Russians who worked with specific French to fix the last Olympics. It was a dark day for the Olympics, regardless of who the judges happened to be. In this case, they were Russian and French.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I think it makes the sport much less attractive for the spectator if the skaters are falling too much, and that's never good for the long-term health of a sport.  If I wanted spectacular crashes I would watch superbikes or something like that.

I agree...some mistakes/falls are part of any sport but it wasn't much fun watching the Olympic Ice Follies. Difficult it may be to play these sports, but it still looks bad from the stands. I might have said it already, if so sorry, but even Scott Hamilton said once that it was better for them complete a spin and then fall, then to not do the spin at all. There's too much pressure on the poor athletes I guess. I feel bad for them, really.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hendrick in the 10,000 meter speed skate was fun to watch...man you need serious stamina for that event. Poor guys look like they're dyin' by the end. heh Wish they televised more speed skating during non-Olympic times, I'd watch it. Maybe if we had 500 stations...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Damn, I'm hungover too! I hope I'm well enough by Sunday at least :D

Talk about a dreamfinal! Sweden - Finland! Wow..

Congratulations for the silver, Finland!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Haha, that was cool! I just saw Anna Carin Olofsson win gold in the women's biahtlon and after the race the swedish King Carl XVI Gustaf ran up to her and congratulated her and gave her a hug. Just then the two german skiers, silver and bronze medal winners, walked by in the background. When they saw our King, they immediately stopped and wanted hugs too! Our King looked a bit surprised but hugged them one after another.

The swedish royalty are huge in Germany for some reason I've never quite understood. Oh and King Carl XVI Gustaf is a huge fan of biathlon.

Dammit, mkreku, that was a great story. I didn't see it, but the coverage is spotty on NBC and I don't watch all the events at any rate. Let's face it, figure skating gets the lion's share of the coverage and everything else takes a backseat. Instead of seeing events last night, we saw the figure skating gala. It wasn't bad so much as irrelevant as there were no contests. It was just the end of the Olympics skating frenzy.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

As far as the Germans go, it would seem Hitler succeded in making a superior race, wtf is with these guys?

I'm sure that has to do with the amount of money the government puts into sports..

It was a great olympic games for Canada there best finish ever .. 24 medals only 1 behind the U.S. and also counting they should have done alot better in men's hockey and had 12 4th place finishes in total .. Everyone will have high hopes for the 2010 Vancouver games.

It will be a lot better the tv coverage for the next ones for all the north american's too.

Right now watching taped events or waking up way to early wasn't fun.

Right now watching taped events or waking up way to early wasn't fun.

Well, at least now you know how it's all year for me when trying to watch NHL hockey, except incredibly late instead of early.