Winter Olympics

Delta Truth

I would also like to point out that rivalry between Sweden and Finland has been toned a bit during the last decade. In the '80's when both Finland and Sweden made it to the quarterfinals in the world championship, but after Sweden played the first quarterfinal and lost, the finns lost terribly in their match too. After the game, a reporter asked why Finland played such a dreadful game, the team-captain answered: "Meh, since Sweden isn't tournament no more, what's the point of playing if we're not able to play against the swedes."

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wonder, are the sports of the winter olympics as inaccessible to the poor in European counties?

That's certainly the excuse we use. :lol:

*Watches our lone silver medal swaying forelornly in the breeze* :)

It's probably as much to do with funding decisions, though. The UK made a sudden jump from US-style self-funding of athletes to significant use of 'public' funds (from the lottery), and the result was a huge improvement in performance at the 2000 Olympics. Summer sports get more money than winter sports, hence the difference in results. I don't suppose it costs much more to pay a Brit to live in Austria and go skiing every day than it costs to pay him to live in England and go running every day.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

To put it simply: You trolled about Finland losing, and i took the bait.

Simply put: You over-reacted and everyone here knows it.

But guess what, I forgive you. That's what the mighty flying spaghetti monster would want.

Summer sports get more money than winter sports, hence the difference in results.

IIRC, there alot more summer sports tho, arn't there.

Edited by kumquatq3

To put it simply: You trolled about Finland losing, and i took the bait.

Simply put: You over-reacted and everyone here knows it.

But guess what, I forgive you. That's what the mighty flying spaghetti monster would want.

Summer sports get more money than winter sports, hence the difference in results.

IIRC, there alot more summer sports tho, arn't there.

You're a good sport, then i'll be one. Toodles.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"You were the only one trashtalking directly about Finland losing the game here"

Finland lost because they sucked, and had an inferior goaltender. Just like all the other loser countries like Kanada, and the US. Trashtalking is apart of sports. If Finlanders can't handle it they can go riot on the streets.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"You were the only one trashtalking directly about Finland losing the game here"

Finland lost because they sucked, and had an inferior goaltender. Just like all the other loser countries like Kanada, and the US. Trashtalking is  apart of sports. If Finlanders can't handle it they can go riot on the streets.

Goaltending wasn't Canada's problem.

Bottom line is that after Hasek went down; Sweden easily had the best goaltending. Brodeur is good; but nowadays he is nowhere near Lundqvist's level. That's why Sweden won. He alsos got robbed.

He should have been MVP, Best Goaltender (silly Finland goalie got it simply because he shut out crappy teams), and the game reviews should have priased only him not that Silly Ancient Triad who only won gold because Mr. Lundqvist forced them to.

Just like he'll probably be robbed of Best Rookie and Best Goaltender in the NHL this year.

BOOOOOO!!

:(

Kum: Great find. :lol:"

Edited by Volourn

Don't you guys travel with Kanadian backpacks anyway? :lol:"

... tho it seems us Danes will be needin' those as well from now on, got a good dealer? :ph34r:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I've heard about Americans wearing backpacks with Canadian tags and how tourists get more respect in Europe if they go as "Canadians." But is it actually true? I never knew if it was true, or just a story to make us Canadians feel all good about ourselves.

I've heard about Americans wearing backpacks with Canadian tags and how tourists get more respect in Europe if they go as "Canadians."  But is it actually true?  I never knew if it was true, or just a story to make us Canadians feel all good about ourselves.

I've never heard of anyone actually doing it, but it's prolly the smart thing to do in some parts of the world.

Unless your from New York:

"Hey, yo, can I like get a baguette or something over here?....eh?"

Edited by kumquatq3

I've heard about Americans wearing backpacks with Canadian tags and how tourists get more respect in Europe if they go as "Canadians."  But is it actually true?  I never knew if it was true, or just a story to make us Canadians feel all good about ourselves.

It's true to some degree. A friend of mine works at Wartsila(international company, lots of people from all over the world) and there's one from USA in his team who started to say that he was from Canada 3 years ago when introducing himself to others. What i can't remember, is that if he did it because he felt ashamed being an american or because of the negativity surrounding USA in Europe.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

"That and to avoid getting shot in the face by extremist muslims."

You DO realize right that extremist mislims tend to HATE everyone not like them right? You know much like the majoritry of extremists?

For some reason I doubt being Kanadian would help in that situation. :thumbsup: