Jade Empire Is A Big Fat Financial Failure!!!

Volourn

Mr. Sawyer, that just doesn't make any sort of sense to me.  Why make a sequel to a game that is considered a financial failure?  It just doesn't make good business.

Name recognition and such. Microsoft released the Xbox with losses made from each sold unit, so i dont' see a reason why a game company backed by a publisher with deep pockets would do the same. It's all part of a bigger corporate-strategy.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Mr. Sawyer, that just doesn't make any sort of sense to me.  Why make a sequel to a game that is considered a financial failure?  It just doesn't make good business.

Actually, sometimes it does. Prince of Persia didn't sell very well, but Warrior Within sold much better. The original game had a small but enthusiastic following, with word of mouth allowing more copies to be sold at a reduced price later on. That collective awareness of the quality of the original title helped the sequel sell even more at full price (regardless of the sequel's quality).

EDIT: Also, development costs are sometimes lower because a lot of technology from the first title provides a solid base for moving forward.

Name recognition and such. Microsoft released the Xbox with losses made from each sold unit, so i dont' see a reason why a game company backed by a publisher with deep pockets would do the same. It's all part of a bigger corporate-strategy.

I said it before; and will say so again now;

The ONLY reason why Sony and MS allowed their PS2/X-Box to sell below the Cost of Production is because the lost cash would be made well with profit from the "royalties" they ask from Game Designers.

It has nothing to do with reputation increase or name recognition. And as I doubt BIO would get "royalties" from anyone if they would sell more copies for less cash, it would be severly stupid to do as target...

PC:

VAT: 16.4%

Distribution: 19%

Store: 32%

Publisher: 12%

Developer: 20.6%

Console:

VAT: 16.4%

Distribution: 14%

Store: 28.5%

Royalties: 18.9%

Publisher: 10%

Developer: 12.2%

You know, this makes me wonder why there aren't more devs/publishers vowing for PC-only releases. More cash (ALOT) for the devs. More cash for the publisher (small, but still) and more cash for the store (minor too)... >_<

The figures would be the same: you are forgeting to adjust for a higher retail price on console titles.

:)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"you know Volourn, those $14 millions aren't for Bioware."

True. But, BIO also isn't the onyl one spending money on the game. MS, the stores, and co are as well.

Let's say, for instance, that JE cost did cost more than $14 mil. People seem to forget that the numbers provided in this thread were for Amerikan NPD alone. It didn't include the outside world numbers. So, even if the game did cost, say, $20 million, those are other sales figures to consider.

Afterall, the chart provided states the game sold 300k or so in NA (or is just Amerika). The game is known to have sold 500k+ in the first 6 months of release overall.

The game has made more than $14 mil.

On top of this I'm inclined to beleive BIO and MS saying it's successful than us in this thread who don't have the hard numbers.

I, myself, don't have the har dnumbers. Neither does anyone else here. This is why I take their word over ours.

>_<

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I, myself, don't have the har dnumbers. Neither does anyone else here. This is why I take their word over ours.

Okay, then go over to the BioWare board and ask them, point blank, if the total revenue from Jade Empire exceeded the total costs of developing the title, marketing it, and putting it on retail shelves, after returns. They don't even have to tell you how much it cost, how many units it sold, or anything of that nature. It seems pretty simple to me.

They haven't said or written anything like that; you're making completely nonsensical assumptions based on critical acclaim from the devs/pubs, which has no necessary correlation to its financial success (or failure).

If it were financially successful from half a million units sold, it would defy the economics of developing a game of that size and quality.

True. But, BIO also isn't the onyl one spending money on the game. MS, the stores, and co are as well.

Let's say, for instance, that JE cost did cost more than $14 mil. People seem to forget that the numbers provided in this thread were for Amerikan NPD alone. It didn't include the outside world numbers. So, even if the game did cost, say, $20 million, those are other sales figures to consider.

Afterall, the chart provided states the game sold 300k or so in NA (or is just Amerika). The game is known to have sold 500k+ in the first 6 months of release overall.

On top of this I'm inclined to beleive BIO and MS saying it's successful than us in this thread who don't have the hard numbers.

:devil:

*Volo casts Magical Volo's Improved Disbelieve Unpalatable Facts* :ermm:

Components

Somatic: Place (at least two different) fingers in both ears

Vocal: "Lalalalalalalalalalalalalala-I can't hear you-lalalalalalalalala", followed by: "Hey, look over there, it's Elvis!"

Casting time

Normal

Range

Touch, special

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

As far as I know Bioware and Microsoft hasn't gave out any specific numbers of units sold along with the production costs of Jade Empire. Where is the link that Bioware representatives said exactly what were the production costs Volourn?

It doesn't matter how many units were sold. The only numbers that matters are the total net profit of the game. Does the revenue earned by selling the game exceeds the cost of production and marketing? Only that number is relevant.

That link only gives us games that were critical and commercial (meaning name recognition) success. Not FINANCIAL success.

Edited by Judge Hades

"As far as I know Bioware and Microsoft hasn't gave out any specific numbers of units sold along with the production costs of Jade Empire. Where is the link that Bioware representatives said exactly what were the production costs Volourn?"

Eh? I never said they did? I ain't the one who is quoting specific numbers outside of the 500k+.

All i said was BIo and MS both said the game was financially successful, and I'll take their word over random posters (this includes me!) in this thread who don't have access to the hard numbers.

BIO + MS > POSTERS

Edited by Volourn

Besides, isn't both Microsoft and Bioware publicly traded companies? Stating financial loss would devalue their stock. Also it would be their best interests to state that Jade Empire was a success just to build hype for the unannounced possible sequel, regardless if it was true or not.

"Besides, isn't both Microsoft and Bioware publicly traded companies?"

BIO isn't... Or wans't. I don't know about now with the enw company they're a part of.

"Also it would be their best interests to state that Jade Empire was a success just to build hype for the unannounced possible sequel, regardless if it was true or not."

I try not to accuse others of lying without actual evidence that they're lying unless it's 100% obvious. ;)

Edited by Volourn

It is safer to assume that everyone is lying til proof otherwise is shown. Everyone looks out for their own best interest. I don't count a object a financial success unless it makes money. I wouldn't call the X Box 360 a financial success for it has a production and marketing costs greater than the number of units sold.

:huh:

*Volo casts Magical Volo's Improved Disbelieve Unpalatable Facts* :thumbsup:

Components

Somatic: Place (at least two different) fingers in both ears

Vocal: "Lalalalalalalalalalalalalala-I can't hear you-lalalalalalalalala", followed by: "Hey, look over there, it's Elvis!"

Casting time

Normal

Range

Touch, special

image002.gifLancer

"DEFINITELY wouldn't trust the president."

You don't like the President of Iran?

I don't like the president or prime minister of any country. All politicians need to be shot.

He's okay, it's that French fraud I don't like.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT