Jade Empire Is A Big Fat Financial Failure!!!

Volourn

Expected and justified, of course, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing.

How can you go from this?

jinyong-81a.jpg

to this?

lol cleavage

profile_scholarling_209x382.jpg

lol actual clothes

profile_lotusblossom_209x357.jpg

lol half-naked scarred Asian stereotype

profile_furiousming.jpg

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Going off at a tangent here. Typically speaking, do developers realize a higher return on console games versus PC games? As a rule, which could be expected to sell more units?

Yes, better on console. Part of that is doubtlessly because PC SKUs are almost always secondary or tertiary SKUs. It's rare for something to be developed for PC and ported to console. It's much easier to build to the specs of the console and port to PC.

And when done it is awfully bad (Deus Ex anyone). This is mostly though I think because PC-only games are typically the ones that need alot of buttons or Keyboard and mouse to play, like FPS and RTS.

And when creating for the Console and PC it can turn out worse (both in quality as in financial succes) than making a PC-only game if you severly hurt the quality with the hybrid (see DX and DX:IW)

Actually are the two even statistically comparable? I read on the Bethesda forums that Morrowwind PC out sold the same console title at something like 3 to 1. Do you know (or can you say) how KOTOR2 for PC did versus the Xbox version?

Morrowind was a game in a PC franchise taken to console. The Elder Scrolls had a good following on PC so it shouldn't be surprising that it sold better there. When did the Xbox version of Morrowind come out compared to the PC version? I honestly can't remember.

Kotor2 did beter on X-Box. No surprises here though, since it was released 3 months before the PC on X-Box... Same with the GTA series. If there wasn't a gap of 6 months between PS2 and X-Box/PC release, the PS2 sales would be alot lower and the other 2 alot higher...

For a similar release date it would be interesting to see though how sales will go between 2 platforms. See it yourself end march when Oblivion is released :shifty:

Also extra possibilities on the PC (X-pack, Bonus pack, Mods) can cause extra sales where the console can not...

Also, the desicion to make (or not) a PC port would be made by the publisher right? Anyone want to weigh in on these points?

Yes, it would generally be requested by the publisher. There are occasions where a developer really wants to do one and, if their contract allows, they can take it to another publisher.

Yeah. That was already mentioned also in the PNJ fora when there were members requesting for a PC version... You might wan't to check out all OE-dev posts there on the subject...

Edited by BattleCookiee

Expected and justified, of course, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing.

jinyong-81a.jpg

to this?

lol cleavage

lol actual clothes

profile_furiousming.jpg

wow, thats even more a degeneration than memoirs of a geisha

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

In BIO's case, MS has no problems working with them again. Afterall, MS is ME's publisher as well.. I doubt that MS would want to work with BIO again if JE financially failed.

Decemberish reports put Jade Empire at less than half a million units sold through. And certainly a good portion of that was at reduced cost. I can't even get creative enough with math to make that anything but a big loss. We're talking about something that sold Icewind Dale numbers and conservatively cost three times as much to make.

All true, but some of that investment can be written off (loss leader, sunk costs, and other exciting jargon from the universe of 3D pie charts and expensive haircuts and suits) if Bioware / M$ extend the IP into a series, after all it is a known market for the product, and so therefore much easier to predict the return on investment, which is less risk.

:lol:

I personally don't care if the game was a success or failure. 

Yes and no.

Yes, everyone should make up their own minds as to what is a good game.

No, it isn't irrelevant in the capitalist system.

You may be one of the people who really enjoyed Republic, for example, a brilliantly innovative game. But it didn't sell well, so no publisher is going to use that IP to make another game, which impairs your enjoyment.

A CRPG based on the Hindu mythology. I like the idea :cool: Ofcourse, a ninja CRPG would be the best thing since cake.

Danger Will Robinson! Hostiles approaching!

I think it would be great, too, but there are some extremist Hindu sects that make al-Qa'ida's work look like the teddy bears' picnic ... are you forgetting the devotees of Kali? They used to jump into the hangman's noose, after capture for murders most horrific, to meet Kali sooner ...

:ph34r:

Don't know if any publisher is looking for that kind of publicity ... :)"

(Okay, so there haven;t been any reported Kali followers for decades. Let's not temp them ... )

On second thoughts: let's do it! Can we use your postal address, my got dirty and I need to clean it? :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

A CRPG based on the Hindu mythology. I like the idea :cool: Ofcourse, a ninja CRPG would be the best thing since cake.

Danger Will Robinson! Hostiles approaching!

I think it would be great, too, but there are some extremist Hindu sects that make al-Qa'ida's work look like the teddy bears' picnic ... are you forgetting the devotees of Kali? They used to jump into the hangman's noose, after capture for murders most horrific, to meet Kali sooner ...

:ph34r:

Don't know if any publisher is looking for that kind of publicity ... :thumbsup:"

(Okay, so there haven;t been any reported Kali followers for decades. Let's not temp them ... )

On second thoughts: let's do it! Can we use your postal address, my got dirty and I need to clean it? :D

Those were thugs or thugus (i can't recall their exact name), but they worshipped Kali with strangling as much people as possible until the British eradicated them in the 1880's or so. Quite a menace i tell you.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That would be awesome. We could see the goddess Kali >_<

Apparently she's very handy with a sword; she's an army in waiting. :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...chnology/AtPlay

Hahaha! Tricked ya! More evidence that JE is a financial success. So who is gonna finally admit that they were wrong when they said it was.

It's almost embarassing when I am right all the time. :)

I hope you know you freaked me out, there are not so many good games, and if this happens with JE as with BG&E....God give us strength >_<;);)

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

That would be awesome. We could see the goddess Kali >_<

Apparently she's very handy with a sword; she's an army in waiting. :D

Swords she does have four arms and an insatible blood lust once the scent of blood is in the air.

Edited by Gabrielle

jinyong-81a.jpg

to this?

lol cleavage

lol actual clothes

profile_furiousming.jpg

yeah. what kinda stoopid gaijin would come up with ridiculous caricatures of asian martial artists that were looking like the ones in je?

http://www.angelfire.com/stars2/templeofbruce/

huh.

wanna have us link some japanese anime stuff that makes je looks pretty damned tame?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...chnology/AtPlay

Hahaha! Tricked ya! More evidence that JE is a financial success. So who is gonna finally admit that they were wrong when they said it was.

It's almost embarassing when I am right all the time. :shifty:

ROFL!

I think anyone with a actual brain new JE would be successful!

But you thinking your always right is the funny contradiction in your statement! :(