Jade Empire Is A Big Fat Financial Failure!!!

Volourn

Speaking of big fat failures...

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

If total production and marketing cost are indeed greater than or barely broke even then Jade Empire is a financial failure.  If Jade Empire far exceeded production and marketing costs then it would be a financial success.  That is the question here but it seems that we can't get a clear cut answer on production and marketing costs.  I don't like estimates.  Only way we can make an accurate assessment on this issue if we have exact values of how much the game costed and how much it made in revenue.

Otherwise this is just useless conjecture and speculation.

Success and failure is based on the seller's expectation, not necessarily about whether or not a game made profit. Future games in the Jade Empire universe theoretically could have lesser (I say lesser, but it will likely go up since it will be on a new platform...just less up) costs as much of the research into the mythology and design of the setting has already been done. But it's all about expectation.

I'm sure Amazon expected to lose a good chunk of change their first few years on the internet as well. If Bioware and Microsoft were not expecting the game to make sales, but perhaps to make up the differences with possible sequels, then the game could still be considered a success.

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing if it did or did not meet their expectations.

You know, this makes me wonder why there aren't more devs/publishers vowing for PC-only releases. More cash (ALOT) for the devs. More cash for the publisher (small, but still) and more cash for the store (minor too)... 

I'm sure this has been posted already, but I haven't gotten through the rest of the thread.

20% of $1,000,000 on the PC = $200,000

12.2% of $2,000,000 on the console = $240,000

Is it really better making a game for the PC?

http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?t...6&forum=22&sp=0

is funny. we were essentially defending bio in our initial post, but we were also proclaiming heresy by noting that je had mediocre sales.

nobody wanted to discus much save for our denial of gospel.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You know, this makes me wonder why there aren't more devs/publishers vowing for PC-only releases. More cash (ALOT) for the devs. More cash for the publisher (small, but still) and more cash for the store (minor too)... 

I'm sure this has been posted already, but I haven't gotten through the rest of the thread.

20% of $1,000,000 on the PC = $200,000

12.2% of $2,000,000 on the console = $240,000

Is it really better making a game for the PC?

I think this would depend on the costs of making the game. Is it cheaper to make a PC game? Does that $40,000 get eaten up by advertising? $40,000 is one salary for a year for a pretty low end person (or a dozen testers , so who knows. :( )