Jade Empire Is A Big Fat Financial Failure!!!

Volourn

"The game's sales reflect this. Mediocrity, they name is Jade Empire."

Proof shows otherswise. The rest is your silly biased opinion.

You ar elooking forwrad to DA and ME so you cna bash them as well. LOL :D

"JE had lackluster gameplay, lackluster story, lackluster RP, and a slew of other mediocre elements to the game."

Says the one who holds IWD2 as his favorite RPG of all time even though it isn't even the best game in that series. Hahaha!!

R00fles!

Seriously, whatever drug you're on and have been on for the past, say 5 years, stop taking it. Your memory is terrible.

Icewind Dale II is not my favorite RPG. I've never claimed it was. Not even sure where you'd get such a ludicrous idea.

What proof? Jade Empire may have sold a million units, maybe more, maybe less. It is still among the most mediocre games ever released. It isn't bad, it isn't good, it just is. Thank god for Blockbuster, though, they saved me $45. Rental for the win.

"Jade Empire may have sold a million units, maybe more, maybe less. It is still among the most mediocre games ever released. It isn't bad, it isn't good, it just is."

Your opinion (and mine) about JE's quality or lack of quality is irrelevant. We are talking financial success or failure.

JE is obviously a financial success. Why dont people just admit it, and move on. -_-"

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Jade Empire may have sold a million units, maybe more, maybe less. It is still among the most mediocre games ever released. It isn't bad, it isn't good, it just is."

Your opinion (and mine) about JE's quality or lack of quality is irrelevant. We are talking financial success or failure.

JE is obviously a financial success. Why dont people just admit it, and move on. -_-"

:thumbsup:"

Edited by Gabrielle

I dont see how this is a proof of anything. It's a fact The Movies bombed, Activision dont even want to publish the console versions anymore. Geist is also a failure (as a game and as a product). Rare is a really large studio, Kameo probably had more than 100 developers working on it at some point, it had massive delay (it was supposed to be a Gamecube soon-after-launch game), there's no way it's profitable.

Who would think the JE wasn't a financial success? :S

The same people who think All Saints were a commercial success.

They were a huge success. I don't want to have to pull an infinite amount of quotes from Google, so just accept that some people liked them.

O RLY?

manthing2.jpg

JE wasn't all that great though, certainly one of the better games I have played on the XBOX

Doesn't that contradicts itself? -_-

I dont see how this is a proof of anything.

It is not proof of anything. The creator of this "report" first used a really weird concept of "unrecognizable (due to brand/creator) games", where clearly famous persons/companies like Bio and Peter Molyneux were left out.

Then he seems to have some weird vision of a "commercial succes". Like said before, Darwania almost made no profit, and the company was near bankrupt when they found an additional supplier in Source. Ofcourse, we all know how (in)famous Source is, allowing a much larger target group...

EDIT; If a low-cost project like Darwania cannot even get their production costs out of sales, commercial succes is NOT my first thought...

Edited by BattleCookiee

Ah, God dammit Volourn. I thought that you were sincere there before clicking on the link, but nooooo.....

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That article has no real relevence to whether or not Jade Empire was a financial success or not.  It mentions it in passing, the article is about original IPs getting made when there is so much capital at risk.

Yep, and it lumps "critical and commercial" together a little to glibly, too.

The whole point of the article is to praise innovation and the eschewal of slavish cookie-cutting game development.

Not to suggest that the games were, necessarily, commercially successful.

You need a large dose of Volo +3 illusionist powder to make that leap, from that article ...

:wacko:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There's no financial information in that article at all. I'm very doubtful that JE was financially successful given the following factors:

* The length of development and size of the development team.

* The large advertising budget.

* The quick fall-off in price at retail.

Games generally don't fall off in price quickly if they are selling well. You can get Jade Empire for $20 new at Best Buy.

"Ah, God dammit Volourn. I thought that you were sincere there before clicking on the link, but nooooo....."

Ah... But, I was sincere. I was sincerely playing a trick on everyone. :ermm:"

JE is a great game. It sure beats either KOTOR. They're about equal in story. JE has better characters, better combat (no contest here), better role-playing (though KOTOR2 has as good a use of dialogue skillz - though JE has more dialogue skills)), better graphics, better music, and better atmosphere.

Anyways, I *never* said this proves JE was a finanical success as a standalone article; but it's just more evidence to lea done to believe JE was a success. This along with the number of copies sold, both MS and BIO saying they were happy with its success as a new IP, and the plans for a sequel all help prove this.

I have yet to hear anyone prove that it was a financial failure outside of 'it didn't sell 1 million copies so it bombed lolololol'.

Afterall, I for one, have no reason to believe that BIO would lie about this. And, they and MS would know the facts.

:)

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.