Best comedy in an RPG?

qaz156

The 'Easter Egg' in Vice City.

what was that again?

You run into the door to the news building right after the bridge to the second island from Prawn Island, then run up the ramp to the helipad. Shoot the skyscraper directly in front of you until you find an area bullets pass through, when you find it, make a blind leap of faith for it.

When you get inside there should be a chocolate egg on a pedestal that says Happy Easter.

If we are just talking funny video games, nothing can beat the original Monkey Island and Sam n' Max.  There has been a real lack of straight comedy games.  I hope we see a decent revival wth that Bones game and the new San n' Max, but the most recent Monkey Island make me feel that the genre is dead.

As for RPG's, Minsc and Boo are probably the best comedic pair out there, although I never played Anachronox.  I thought KotOR had some great comedic moments as well.  The funniest part of Fallout were the special perks you could choose.

I love the Monkey Island games. but I agree that the latest 3D game was a real let down.

There was a 3-D one? :huh: When? How? Why was I not informed?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Monkey Island 4 (The Secret of Monkey Island?) was 3-D. It's about 4 years old now. It was a decent game, very good graphics and all, but it got bogged down. It was like they drew the gags out to give you a full 30-40 hours of gameplay. The original Monkey Island was perfect, and it was only about 6 hours long. When you try to drag the same jokes out for 30 hours, they don't do well.

Monkey Island 4 (The Secret of Monkey Island?) was 3-D.  It's about 4 years old now.  It was a decent game, very good graphics and all, but it got bogged down.  It was like they drew the gags out to give you a full 30-40 hours of gameplay.  The original Monkey Island was perfect, and it was only about 6 hours long.  When you try to drag the same jokes out for 30 hours, they don't do well.

The last two Monkey Island games weren't even MI games at all really, more MI themed light comedy adventure games. They were alright games I suppose, but nowhere near the level of writing or puzzles of the first ones. They also milked the cliches too much. /purist

For my money the BG games have the best humour of any RPG I've played, which is pretty much limited to PC ones. I can't imagine the zillion eastern console RPGs would tickle my funny bone very much.

I'm hoping Obs will put a few really stupid jokes in NWN2, they're usually a safe bet for me. :p

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

1st and 2nd (Secret of Monkey Island and LeChuck's Revenge) were great games

The 3rd was also alot of fun (The Curse of Monkey Island)

But the 4th and last MI (Escape from Monkey Island) wasn't that good. As said, the dragness, but also the annoying mini-games made it the worst Monkey Island game of all 4, and just generally a bad adventure...

Best to go for older LA-Adventures or (if you want newer games) ones like Syberia/Fahrenheit

Anachronox indeed

Right on dude. Right on.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

"guns liquor and baby needs" is my favorite store of all time!

That's sam and max for you...

In an RPG?

Probably Lunar Silver Star Story.

Tho cross dressing and dating barret in FFVII were funny.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Anachronox...glad to see it's getting the credit it deserves...it is THE funny (the trailer I occasionally link to)

the old LucasArts stuff is good too...but I would go with Grim Fandango as the best of them...and even though Monkey Island III breaks with some traditions (and story-lines) it's still one of the very good ones

oh, and Psychonauts...2005s fun game

Minsc and Boo were hilarious  (w00t)

He was a buffoon, not funny. Kicking him out of the party is not good enough. Having him get chunked, that's funny.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

"Ah, we are all heroes...you and Boo and I. Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!"

This line being repeated like a stuck record is my number 1 pet hate about BG2 and reason enough to leave Minsc behind.

Edited by Jumjalum

staringcontest8og.gif

"Ah, we are all heroes...you and Boo and I.  Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!"

This line being repeated like a stuck record is my number 1 pet hate about BG2 and reason enough to leave Minsc behind.

well i think Boo &Minsc r something like Michael Jackson ,some like them some not

(I like that comedian Minsc and miniaturised Space Hamster :- )

IB1OsQq.png

I like Minsc, he's the funniest NPC in the game and I love the VO it's just that I usually play a good party and he says that one line so often it really gets on my ****. I guess I could delete the sound file or something...don't know why I never tried that before.

staringcontest8og.gif

Xan in BG1. "Our quest is vain" and his other morose sayings. I used to click on him repeatedly while giggling.

By and large tho, I've found more giggles from strategy/city builder games than rpg's, usually from the absurdity of situations, not dialogues. Like slapping imps, or cartpushers in Caesar3 running around on high-speed when all your granaries are full.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts