Newbie Guide

Child of Flame

Who cares what the 'veterans' think, anyways. Newbies shouldn't be trying to impress the so called regualrs. The regualrs are not that important. That includes (and espicially) me. This board is for discussion of Obsidian and other important stuff. Important stuff shoudl not equal posters trying to impress or one up fellow posters.

It's not about the individual poster; but the individual threads and posts and topics.

:blink:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not really. Getting flamed is just a side effect.

The fact that the people getting pissed are regulars is irrelevant. The fact that some attitudes are annoying, on the other hand, is not. :blink:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

An intelligent mod should sticky this!

When you find one, let me know. ;)

Actually, if you guys can come up with something reasonable and comprehensive, we can condense the spam out of it and sticky it. ( Providing I'm not stepping on anyone's toes anyway ).

our suggestions for new posters were reasonable and comprehensive, as well as exhibiting a certain elegant brevity, if we do say so our self.

repost:

rule #1

You are your posts: on a message board such as this one, reputation is everything, so reflect upon your actions and words before you hit the "Add Reply" button.

rule #2

The use of profanity creates a rebuttable presumption that the author lacked the imagination, intelligence and self-control necessary to avoid this board

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

point o' personal privilege:

not all Gromnir posts has been, or will be, in character. however, for those who pays attention, there is a common factor in any and all posts we not include an elf homicide or grammatical tortures... or is that vice versa?

in any event, being out o' character on rare and specific occasions is, in point of fact, completely in character for Gromnir.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If you are serious about educating new users to the rules of conduct, then you really should teach them from the very beginning (all though I think it would probably traumatize them for life as soon as they realize the 'free' state of the regulars)

1. (Log the IP address of the applicant)
  2. Make them read Forum Guidelines i.e. Newbie guide.
  3. Ask them 5-10 randomly picked questions from a pool of +50 questions based on or from the Guidelines.
  4. Accept their answers and let them in or IP ban them for a day after which they can try again.
  5. Keep asking random questions "the question of the month" or something to keep the rules fresh in mind (for everybody).

(Signatures: disabled) 

2. Lurk for awhile. Feel the place out, look at what draws the wrath of the forumites and what they laugh at, try and fly under the radar rather than pissing everybody off your first week here.

3. Netsp33k and 1337sp33k are generally looked down upon here, please to be composing your posts with complete sentences and proper English.

i protest these and your gonna have to deal with it!

but i will follow the search and KOTOR 3 tenets

by the way why did you say king speak when your from Norcal?

:) poser perhaps ??

oh and its northern california if were not going to be a hypocrite :thumbsup:

and why is this thread up again good lord OCD

Today's state of the forum reminds me of some local pub in a small town where everyone knows each other and newcomers are not usually welcome.

However as Obsidian will make more games, there inevitably will be more people who care about Obsidian's games and not this little "Code of Conduct". Hence Obsidian, as a company who is supposed to maintain a community around its product line will become stricter regarding Forum Guidelines and this little flame club will be overrun by NWN2/PNJ/<insert title here> fan clubs and the board will be closer to Bioboards model.

That's how I see the future. :ph34r:

It is Nostradamus reborn! Beware, for the apocalypse is nigh.

Note, the supposed seer known as Nostradamus has been called "100% accurate at predicting events after they happen," i.e. his followers twist his words to support any recent major catastrophe. Draw your own conclusions from this comparison.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

It is Nostradamus reborn! Beware, for the apocalypse is nigh.

Note, the supposed seer known as Nostradamus has been called "100% accurate at predicting events after they happen," i.e. his followers twist his words to support any recent major catastrophe. Draw your own conclusions from this comparison.

Thank god for the bomb. :thumbsup:

Today's state of the forum reminds me of some local pub in a small town where everyone knows each other and newcomers are not usually welcome.

That's how most game forums end up, eventually. I mean, it's been over a year for this one, right? Or something?

I registered in...uh...March...I'm still a newb.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That makes me think, what does everyone think is qualified as newbie anyway? :thumbsup:

I would say its someone who hasn't been here for over a month and hasn't got more than something like 50 posts, but i get a different idea from the rest of you :rolleyes:

If posts in the off-topic forum counted, my post count would probably be much much higher...so I'm not convinced that's always a good indicator. And some people lurk a long time before they make a first post.

But the time period's about right IMO...few weeks to a month in terms of actual posting, assuming they post enough to be noticed for more than one day.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts