GameSpot's Best and Worst of 2005 Awards!

Guest MacLeodCorp

That is one sad, sad list.

No inovation whatsoever...

Same game, different title

Looks like Gamespot's challenge this year was actually finding something to write about. I always read these articles to see if I might have missed a good new game while I've been replaying the old ones; it's kind of disturbing to know that I really haven't.

What happened with X3: Reunion? I was looking forward to buying this one, but according to what I've read, a lot of folks can't even get it to install.

The gaming industry is following the model of the movie industry pretty closely.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Quite apart from all the other arguments... Volourn, why is JE a good role-playing game? I've played every Bioware RPG, and a few others, and there doesn't seem to be anything special. The dialogue options still hardly matter, the story is set in stone except for a single decision (exactly the same amount of nonlinearity as Star Wars: Jedi Academy, a FPS game), combat was fun but still ridiculously easy and even more arcadey, much less fun gathering items because of their scarcity, and no more memorable characters or graphical niceties than any other BIO game.

^ I would add WWII-themed games, but I guess it is just me pesonally :shifty:

The thing I don't mind about WW2 games is that it's a large scale "modern" conflict where both sides had their ups and downs.

I mean, we could play that Grenada game, but no one wants to play on the side that lost after a few minutes :ermm:

game informer came out with a list of the ten biggest dorks in 2005... the Number 10 slot was the entire Alliance from World Of Warcraft.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm hoping Fahrenheit picks up a few.. I don't think it's that good a game but it's innovative and original enough to be awarded somehow!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Psychonauts...won three out of six so far

got them for voice-acting, best graphics - artistic and for being funny

missed the ones for story, music and best new character

that is good (except for Raz not totally winning)

sad is that it will also win the "best game no one played"-award...people are stupid

I can't believe Guild Wars gets on the list.

I can't either. GW was kinda fun for, oh...3 weeks...but RPG? and of the year? :rolleyes:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Anyone have an idea why I can't view any movies at GameSpot?

I mean, Media Player pops up, and it says Connecting To Media, but nothing happens. When I click Play, it's the same scenario.

When I want view other movies, usually I can just select Download somewhere, but I can't find that for these awards.

Edited by Pope

Anyway, since I can't watch 'em, can anyone post the winners? Did God Of War win anything yet?

Edit: never mind ;) off of GameSpot's forums:

Best Original Music: God of War

Most Surprisingly Good Game: Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks

Best Liscensed Music: Project Gotham Racing 3

Best Story: Indigo Prophecy

Best Sound Effects: Condemned: Criminal Origins

Best Graphics, Technical: F.E.A.R. (excuse me while I kick my dog, RE4 so deserved that)

Best Voice Acting: Psychonauts

Best Graphics, Artistic: Psychonauts

Best use of a Creative Liscense: The Warriors

Best Artificial Intelligence: F.E.A.R.

Most Outrageous Game: Amped 3 (over KILLER 7? WTF)

Best Budget Game: Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved

Best New Character: Harman Smith, Killer 7 (At leat Killer 7 is getting some love here)

Funniest Game: Psychonauts

Best Use of Sweat: Nobody cares

Biggest News: (I'm going to take a guess, and if it's not the Revolution controller I'm going to bite off some heads... And it's: ) San Andreas rated AO...

Best Multiplayer Game: Battlefield 2 (if you can get it to work, that is)

Best Use of Upset, Disheveled Men: Nobody cares

Most Innovative Game: Killer 7

Best Original Game Mechanic: Shot stick mechanic, NBA 2k6

Most Metal: Nobody cares

Most Improved Sequel: Resident Evil 4

Best Hardware: Xbox 360

Edited by Pope

Psychonauts...won three out of six so far

got them for voice-acting, best graphics - artistic and for being funny

missed the ones for story, music and best new character

that is good (except for Raz not totally winning)

sad is that it will also win the "best game no one played"-award...people are stupid

Concerning that:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141519.html

Everyone should play Psychonauts. It's the coolest game I've played in the recent years.

To be honest, I know what you mean. It has its annoying parts.

But there is so much more. Every level has its own personality. You breath the heard and soul of the people behind it in every bit of it. Every line of dialogue is thought over, every character is far beyond flat, every piece of graphic is made with a sense of artistry.

Maybe it wasn't a good decision to make it a kind-of-platformer, because it doesn't reinvent the genre. But it's still an extraordinary good and funny and original game. And as far as I am concerned with the game-industry it hurt quite a bit to read about the downright disastrous sales-numbers of such a game. (the article Pope linked to has written "people are stupid" all over it)

It just sucks to see a game like Psychonauts, with all its qualities, with all its oppositional-to-EAness getting bought by so few. Hopefully Tim Schafer will continue to make games.

just buy it, now

Edited by Nameless One

Anyone have an idea why I can't view any movies at GameSpot?

I mean, Media Player pops up, and it says Connecting To Media, but nothing happens. When I click Play, it's the same scenario.

When I want view other movies, usually I can just select Download somewhere, but I can't find that for these awards.

I have the same problem, but i don't like Gamespot so it doesn't bother me :D

story, characters, funny, originality, dialogue

Those things don't matter much if the gameplay doesn't interest you.

it worked for me

even while the (not my kind of gameplay) jump-parts I enjoyed the game (-s originality)

but maybe it's just me being a fanboy...a good-games-fanboy