GameSpot's Best and Worst of 2005 Awards!

Guest MacLeodCorp

you folks can't stay on a topic for two whole pages? no wonder so many kids is on ritalin.

in any event, Gromnir played not a single one of the nominees, so we not got much input on that issue.

however, we thinks that kotor2 was, in many ways, superior to kotor... but obsidian seemed to make its mistakes and blunders as impressive as its success. were as much to hate

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I just hope they learned their lesson with KotOR 2.  Never do business with LucasArts.

Ya and how to use them as a total cop-out

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I cannot believe that.  Every game has at least one major if not a couple major flaws in it.  There is no such thing as a flawless or near flawless game.

I'm sure it has. All I said was that *I* couldn't find one (except minor ones).

Edit: Too many capital letters.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I just hope they learned their lesson with KotOR 2.  Never do business with LucasArts.

is very easy to blame LA. the big and mean publisher... etc. but you know what? LA has managed to release some good games, ad for all its shortcomings, the original kotor were, at the very least, a complete game.

might be attractive to blame all problems on a publisher, and in this case it might even be valid to be doing so, but rarely is things so simple.

blame interplay and blame lucas and blame atari. at some point obsidian folks is gonna have to get beyond such things as blame of publishers (public or private,) 'cause blame won't improve sales by even a single unit. just ask timmy cain.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thing is Gromnir, I can forgive the state of TSL on its initial release, but afterwards I expect a developer and publisher to support their games though patches and additional work if needed. Obsidian wanted to do this but Lucas Arts told them no many additions that Obsidian and Chris A. wanted to do. Also they dragged their knuckles on its one patch and the media patch as well.

Now I am not asking for NWN style of support and patching, but something along the same lines as KotOR 1 would have sufffice butt LA said no. So who is to blame? The ones who said no.

Edited by Judge Hades

Another vote for Resi 4 (since I cant nominate FFXII till next year).

LA has produced some good stuff. They have also produced some really awful stuff. Probably enough of both so there is no real pattern to it.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

"Hahaha, Volourn is going to wear out a keyboard with all the whining about how Gamespot means nothing and excuses ad nauseum."

Gamespot isn't the be all end all. Should I point out all the other sites that have JE up for 'Best RPG of the Year'?

Gamespot rated KOTOR 90%+ (which it didn't deserve), and NWN 90%+ (which it did deserve) as well? Do you think those games deserve that and that GS is correct always? Consideirng how much you dislike NWN; I seriously doubt you think GS was right in giving it a 90%+?

Hahahahahaha!!!

JE is better than over half of BIO's games so GS syaing its a disspaointment comapred to thsoe games means very little to me.

P.S. KOTOR2 deserves to be on the list as well. Considering the fact I have no interets in playing any of those 'so called rpgs' on this list, KOTOR2 definitely along with JE belongs there.

Ah well. No accounting for GS's taste. :thumbsup:

My best game voyte goes to either Madden 2006 for PS2 (it has only 2 flaws, imo) and JE (which also has a couple of flaws).

:)

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That's a pretty odd disappointing game list on Gamespot as well...JE is put on thier because it was an above average game and not a perfect one, and Madden and Tony Hawk were put on there for using the same formula that has worked well for years. They even say Madden is great...how can you say the game is great and put it on the list? Madden and Tony Hawk gave you exactly what you were expecting, that's not disappointing in my eyes.

I've heard about a lot more disappointing games this year than the 5 they listed.

Gamespot isn't the be all end all. Should I point out all the other sites that have JE up for 'Best RPG of the Year'?

Those would be Xbox exclusive sites. In which case you could also award it only RPG of the year as well.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Huh? 1up is x-box exlusive? Who'd have thunk it. :thumbsup:

Please stop making things up. It's embarassing to have to correct you so completely.

And,. as per usual, your second part of the statement is wrong too. JE is up for X-BOX GAME OF THE YEAR at Gamespy.

Any more errors you wanna share with us?

How amny times can SP be wrong on the same issue in sucha small amount of time.

Let us see.

Stay tuned... :)

Edited by Volourn

Huh? 1up is x-box exlusive? Who'd have thunk it. :thumbsup:

Please stop making things up. It's embarassing to have to correct you so completely.

Never heard of them.

That will be the day. Still it's as amusing as ever watching you fall on your sword in defence of such a mediocre game :)

478327[/snapback]

Nah. I'm just letting people know about your favorite game so they know your point of view. Just to be fair. :)

Like anyone is going to believe that :thumbsup:

Do you see me falling on my sword at the mention of PORII ? Thought not.

Guess it's lucky for Bioware that they chose the Xbox.

478327[/snapback]

That's a pretty odd disappointing game list on Gamespot as well...

It's not that odd, really. What Volourn fails to understand (because his hard-on for Jade Empire probably poked out an eye or something) is that even though Jade Empire is a good game, it doesn't match the great games Bioware has released before. Going from great to good isn't the worst thing that could happen, but it's still a step back and a disappointment.

All in all, they're complimenting Bioware and acknowledning their status as the world's premiere creators of CRPG's, and only a true Bioware fanboi can fail to see that just because their one 'not so classic' title gets a bad rap.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That's funny. If I'm such a BIO fanboy why do I consider KOTOR overrated? Also, why haven't I played two of their games? Weird.

Your definition of fanboy seems to be skewered.

JE is a classic RPG. In fact, outside of NWN in a DMed game or a very heavy RP mod, JE is BIO's best game role-playing wise.

Game over.

Edited by Volourn

Just looked at the list, shouldn't this be:

Worst Trend

Rushing games

No inovation whatsoever...

Dynamic in-game advertising

"Next-gen" retail prices

Same game, different title

Instead of?

Worst Trend

All the lousy poker games

All the lousy "urban"-themed games

Dynamic in-game advertising