Movies you've seen lately

Baley

The Jacket

Kingdom of Heaven

I just saw Kingdom of Heaven a couple days ago.

The story shows a lot about how Christians totally lost credibility by going on the cruscades and killing "infidels". my favorite theologically incorrect quote in the movie was from a young catholic monk, "To kill an infidel is not murder, it is the path to salvation." lol, such bad theology for a Christian. I enjoyed Orlando Bloom's character because he looked past his illogical priests/advisors who were spouting out blasphemy and instead he focused on being rightous and benevolent. Surprisingly, it was a emotional movie for me, even though i felt that it slightly lacked in the romance department. i don't know how you could make that better, it must be hard to write romance well, but i thought it was good enough for what the movie is, and it complimented it. The Muslim main character i thought was generally a nice guy from what was shown.

In summary, you should watch the movie if you already haven't, but make sure you don't go generalising Christianity solely because of it, and even Islam for that matter. It's more of a historical fiction, so keep that in mind.

Good thing one of us did >_<

That movie was as accurate as Gladiator, it was enjoyable, but largely false.

I was simply saying that the cruscades made Christians lose credibility, and the movie had cruscade type elements in it. largely false meaning none of it truly happened, but it was based on real events. Yeah, if i am totally wrong though and the cruscades to retake Jerusalem never happened, then please tell me. Historical fictions are still somewhat historical, otherwise it is just fiction.

Edited by Blank

Yeah, if i am totally wrong though and the cruscades to retake Jerusalem never happened, then please tell me. Historical fictions are still somewhat historical, otherwise it is just fiction.

Yea, Saladin (not exactly the noble guy in the film) took back Jerusalem, much like the Romans actually fought the Gauls and Marcus Aurelius existed like in Gladiator.

The history lessons tend to get very foggy from there.

Yea,  Saladin (not exactly the noble guy in the film) took back Jerusalem, much like the Romans actually fought the Gauls and Marcus Aurelius existed like in Gladiator.

But i know we both agree that the cruscades made the Christians look bad, and the Romans had Gladiators. I wasn't really being specific in names or anything.

The first and best Die Hard.

"...and I have to kill one with feet smaller than my sister."

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yea,  Saladin (not exactly the noble guy in the film) took back Jerusalem, much like the Romans actually fought the Gauls and Marcus Aurelius existed like in Gladiator.

But i know we both agree that the cruscades made the Christians look bad, and the Romans had Gladiators. I wasn't really being specific in names or anything.

Well, you could easily argue that the chrisitians didn't start/spark the crusades, it's just another one of those "he did this, so I did this, so he did that" episodes.

But as for making chrisitans look bad, they do that all the time, so yes, it's historically accurate. >_<"

Well, you could easily argue that the chrisitians didn't start/spark the crusades, it's just another one of those "he did this, so I did this, so he did that" episodes.

But as for making chrisitans look bad, they do that all the time, so yes, it's historically accurate.  >_<"

But didn't the Pope commission the cruscades?

as for christians looking bad, yes, it happens a lot... *looks at self and pauses* you don't mean me do you?

On topic: movies movies... um... i'm not much of a movie guy.

Edited by Blank

But didn't the Pope commission the cruscades?

as for christians looking bad, yes, it happens a lot... *looks at self and pauses* you don't mean me do you?

On topic: movies movies... um... i'm not much of a movie guy.

The Pope called for them, and people were like "Sure!", but nobody really went. EDIT: Those that did mainly killed Jews and raided Christian cities before being killed by Muslims. It took some later armies and kings and such to go: "**** it, I'll go", for the ball to start rolling. The Pope called for them, at least partially, because of all the crap the Turks (muslims) were pulling at the time, tho.

And of course I don't mean you, my freind who believes in the invisible magical guy in the sky, thats not Zeus.

No, I didn't actaully mean you, didn't even know you were religious till right then.

Edited by kumquatq3

The Pope called for them, and people were like "Sure!", but nobody really went. It took some kings and such to go: "**** it, I'll go", for the ball to start rolling. The Pope called for them, at least partially, because of all the crap the Turks (muslims) were pulling at the time, tho.

And of course I don't mean you, my freind who believes in the invisible magical guy in the sky, thats not Zeus.

No, I didn't actaully mean you, didn't even know you were religious till right then.

Basically i think it was foolish for the kings to decide to cruscade for the Holy Land. It's just land and doesn't do anything special. but they may have thought it would give them prestige or special favour with God, or maybe the cruscades were just a conspiracy and they just wanted the large amounts of oil for their failing economy >_<

I thought the main point with the crusades (alluded to in the film) was that the Christian feudal lords were laying waste to Europe with their shenanigans, so to give us a break it was decided to raid eastwards.

winsletcemeterywords.jpg

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the movie was fairly accurate on the character of Saladin. He warred on Jerusalem for reasons very similar to those in the film: to stop the slaughtering of Muslim pilgrims. In fact, he did not even seek revenge since he sent messengers 5 times (all slaughtered by the Crusaders of course) to ask for peace (even after his sister is raped and murdered). The part they got it wrong is that Saladin simply marched into the city with little causalities and willingly offered free passage or stay for all Christians and Jews and not forced into it by some boy who probably never existed. In fact, it was years later that Saladin was forced to negotiate a truce with King Richard (a Crusader who was actually respected by the Muslims) so that Christian pilgrims from the West were allowed to visit Jerusalem

7 Seconds

Ambitious - but in the end it seemed unsure as to whether it was an action movie or political thriller ...

Is it the one with Wesley Snipes? Decent action film though not enough suspense to count as a political thriller. (I knew the girl was trouble. Never take into service those who betrayed their own master or boss in this case.)

My friend loaned me a copy of Fever Pitch. Its not bad for sports fans, but as a romantic comedy it doesn't really do a lot. I'm so putting the directors cut of 'Sin City' on my X-mas list.

grammar is my friend!

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

@ julainw

Yeah that was the Snipes one. I thought it had potential. It had a European flare that most Hollywood movies miss - especially when actually filmed in Europe! But it just seemed stuck. The 'beat-up' the hero segment was the clincher that they had got muddled with what they wanted to do ... as for the plot - yep that is one of the Hollywoodisms that seemed to add to the 'what am I" I experienced.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Skeleton Key. A little slow, but entertaining enough for an 'intelligent' suspense/horror. The publicity-touted surprise ending wasn't very surprising, however.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts